cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion: 1991 Fleetwood Southwind 30'

rhudson1111
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone! I'm new to motorhomes and considering a 1991 Fleetwood Southwind 30'. Bigger than I wanted and I still have to travel 80 miles for this. But it has 350watt solar already installed (which I was going to install myself). Says, new stereo, 2 flat screen tvs, new toilet, new fridge, new water pump. Regularly maintained. Rebuilt engine with 38k mileage, refurbished generator, 15k in upgrades, awning works great, self-leveling jacks (no idea about that), new batteries, always pass smog, everything works. Asking $8500. Clear title in hand. I was sold on the solar alone, but no help if the Fleetwood no good. Sounds like a good one, but I'm not experienced. Anyone know about these Fleetwoods? Does this all sound like good stuff?

My other question is since it has an onboard generator & solar, is there still a need to buy a gas generator immediately? I'd love to take that cost off my immediate budget if possible. Thanks in advance for your help! Robin
14 REPLIES 14

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The "Fleetwood Reviews" are for the current Fleetwood and not the one from 1991.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

tom28
Explorer
Explorer
As was mentioned there is no need to buy second generator. However, I'm the age of your motorhome. I don't trust the old ones. Look through fleetwood reviews

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhudson1111 wrote:
,,, The reason I talked about a gas generator previously on a larger rig was, that someone mentioned that if I'm going to live aboard or spend a lot of time on it, that a gas generator would be needed for ongoing power of all appliances for multiple days. I'm learning as I go. If the majority agree not needed, I'm happy not to spend money on it 🙂 Thanks!

The onboard generator should be size to power ALL appliances install when the coach rolled off the assembly line. The assembly line part is important as an owner installed second A/C might be too much for the generator with the original A/C also running. You should have the owner bring the generator on line and run the coach roof A/C and anything else you can easily turn on to try and load the generator as much as possible but staying within its designed limits.

As mentioned it would be unusual for a class A not to have a generator plus your description of the coach included "refurbished generator".
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

A_Good_Cigar
Explorer
Explorer
rhudson1111 wrote:
Thank you all for your feedback...It's a MAJOR help to me! I am going to take a look at this one tomorrow and see how it goes. On another note, I just found this today: 2014 Coachmen Freelander 21' for a huge discount. It's smaller than wanted, but I've need to consider the age. The reason I talked about a gas generator previously on a larger rig was, that someone mentioned that if I'm going to live aboard or spend a lot of time on it, that a gas generator wouuld be needed for ongoing power of all appliances for multiple days. I'm learning as I go. If the majority agree not needed, I'm happy not to spend money on it 🙂 Thanks!

DO NOT EVEN consider buying a motorhome with the onboard generator removed!!! That is one of the worst decisions a new RV'er can make. The whole point of a motorhome is that it's "self contained", it needs nothing else when properly equipped to live in it for days at a time. And what if your dash A/C isn't working or is inadequate to cool the entire RV? A lot of motorhome owners drive with the generator running & use the rooftop A/C for more cooling, especially if you have multiple passengers in the back or pets! Trailers and most fifth-wheels don't have onboard generators, and even those that do (upper-end fifth wheels & toy haulers) can't move without a tow vehicle.

If the motorhome is missing the generator, you have to ask yourself; what ELSE is is wrong or missing?!

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as an alarmist, but 99.5% of motorhomes since the late '80s came with generators.

Happy hunting
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2004 Grand Cherokee Overland HO 4.7 4x4 Toad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that 2014 Coachmen Freelander 21' is built on a Chevy Chassis as many were that would be a good choice.

If the price is right and condition is good it may worth looking into.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

rhudson1111
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your feedback...It's a MAJOR help to me! I am going to take a look at this one tomorrow and see how it goes. On another note, I just found this today: 2014 Coachmen Freelander 21' for a huge discount. It's smaller than wanted, but I've need to consider the age. The reason I talked about a gas generator previously on a larger rig was, that someone mentioned that if I'm going to live aboard or spend a lot of time on it, that a gas generator wouuld be needed for ongoing power of all appliances for multiple days. I'm learning as I go. If the majority agree not needed, I'm happy not to spend money on it 🙂 Thanks!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also check for exhaust manifold leaks which both Chevy and Ford were known for in the early 90's. The hot exhaust would burn ign wires and add a lot of heat to the dog house. A set of headers fixed the problem and would add about 80 more HP to the MH a very good mod for that vintage MH. Check for over heating, radiator could be partially clogged, the fan clutch could come on to late, stuck thermostat etc. If a P-30 Chevy chassis check the IFS system I spent a small fortune fixing mine. I would rather have the straight axle front end because of fewer moving parts to lube, and replace and the ride is not noticeably different. But like others have said at that age maintenance trumps brand or model. Check maintenance records, were the transmission and rear end fluids change every 30k miles or so, eng oil every 5000 miles, genset every year etc. When I bought mine 15 years ago it was a part time job fixing things and learning how things worked, but if the MH is well maintained and you don't mind doing the work your self go for it if the price is right.

A_Good_Cigar
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with most of the others, if the maintenance is on point, no water damage, all appliances working, give it a hard look! However, me personally, I'd make absolutely certain whether Ford or Chevy that it's a fuel injected engine! You simply DON'T want the maintenance & emissions headaches of a carburetor. Just my two cents, happy hunting:)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2004 Grand Cherokee Overland HO 4.7 4x4 Toad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Learn how to read the tire code and determine the age of the tires.
RV tires age out before they wear out.
Don't just look at the tread depth.
Most RVers replace their tires between 6-10 years.
A new set of tires would be a big hit to your budget. Factor in a set of new tires if you make an offer.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
No need to every buy a generator as loon as the onboard one works.

What everyone else says, condition is everything what make/model doesn't matter, the fact that it is still on the road says something, due diligence is the the rest. Friend has a fleetwood class c a couple years older and it works great for him but he keep on top of the maintenance.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
80 miles isnt too far to drive. You won’t know till you get there if it’s a must have or junk! Sounds like the previous owner took care and replaced everything when needed. Look for Water leaks and rot. Don’t get your hopes up and be prepared to walk if you have to. I wouldn’t hesitate on it if it was in good shape and in the condition described!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have a '93 Pace Arrow 30E, big brother of Southwind.
Chassis would make difference. GMs have a four speed where some Fords had three speed.
A well cared for rig should be good. I see a lot of rebuilds on this rig. That could mean little maintenance.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Run don't walk from a 30 year old RV. You are not buying an RV, you are buying a part time job.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pushing 30 years old it doesn't matter who the builder is/was. Everything comes down to prior owner maintenance. What you need to learn is how to detect delamination and water leaks which will destroy even a million dollar RV very quickly. There are You Tube videos regarding what to look for when buying a used RV that will help.

No need to buy a second generator as the coach has one built in. Why are you considering one?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53