cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Long Term planning for Alaska

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I plan to visit Alaska in a few years (2-4) but may start getting the pieces sooner, so want some advice. We currently have a 26'TT (5500# dry) I pull with a F150 3.5EB. I will likely get a new truck in a year or so. Is the 26' TT a good size for Alaska? If i get a new camper, would likely get a smallish 5th wheel and then a 3/4 ton for towing. Should I stay at half-ton? Thinking I will get diesel for mpg and ease of fill-up at truck stops and don't care about brands. Or...should I get a Class A or C for the trip and a smaller truck and tow it? We live on a farm, so having a truck is a must, but other than towing, don't really care about what size.
So to summarize, which option would you choose? Or something else?

A. Keep trailer and new half ton
B. Keep trailer and new 3/4 ton
C. Class A
D. Class C
E. New fifth wheel and 3/4 ton
Thanks
JB
16 REPLIES 16

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I see, the OP hasn't been back, but, while there is a bit greater potential for damage driving up there, I/we made 2 trips up, both loaded heavy and towing and drove all over the state with TC in the summer and pulling sleds in the winter and 18mo later, zero damage, no flat tires, no broken windshields.
its a great trip and I can see the value of peace of mind with a new tow vehicle and wouldn't worry about "hurting" it going to AK. I also would prepare like any other long road trip. Aside from knowing I might be camping if it broke down, not calling uber to take me to town for parts!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^I'd like to know what kind of 26' TT slowed a new Eco boost to a crawl going uphill?
That doesn't even compute.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Couple things which are my opinions and from my experience:
Followed my Cousin from Washington State from Oregon / Washington State boarder to Moab Utah and back. They at the time owned a 2018 150 3.5 EB pulling a 26ft trailer. Every time we hit a hill we slowed down to a crawl. I live in south eastern BC in the middle of the mountains so I have years of experience driving a hauling trailers in the mountains all months of the year. . I told them the last night we camped together before they headed back down to Vancouver Washington State that they needed a bigger truck, they agreed. They now have a new Ford F-350 Diesel.
If your going to be thinking of a new truck and your going to be doing a lot of traveling towing something, hands down a diesel is your best option. I had gas trucks and diesel trucks Over the years, and my last two trucks have been diesel, and we are sure happy they were / are.
If your thinking of a new truck the Long box or short box would be what you want, however I would get a crew cab for extra storage. The short box is a little easier to manage in parking / backing up a trailer around tight corners but even with my short box I take two parking sport when I park empty.
What ever truck you decide on make sure it has a transmission cooler if it doesn’t all ready have one. I’m pretty sure that when you get the “tow” package, when you buy a new truck, the transmission cooler is part of that package, so ask if it is part of the package, if it isn’t get one installed. Transmission have a hard time to dissipate heat, and when you add longer drives, mountains plus a trailer being towed, the transmission is having a much harder time trying to cool the fluid in the transmission. I see it all the time people broke down on a mountain pass becuase their transmission started slipping on HOT days, and it does get Hot up here.
There is nothing wrong with the trailer you have now is there? If you still like it why buy new and then find problems that come with a new rig, because all new RV’s have issues, again I know this from experience and seeing lots of people while out camping.
A couple things to do before you leave home with your present trailer. Repack and or replace all the wheel bearings, and put brand new rubber on the trailer. Not saying you won’t cook a bearing or get a flat, but the chances are much less and a piece of mind knowing, what’s rolling down the road is A-OK when you left home.
Our first trip up to Dawson City Yukon in 2004 we took our 1980 skylark 5th wheel and we didn’t have one issue. However I did go through that rig from one end to the other and repacked the wheel bearings and added new rubber including the spare as the rubber was checkered on the spare even thou it had a wheel cover over it.
Add a couple 100 watts of solar panels ether potable or attached to the roof. It’s day light much long the farther north you go so these panels will keep you batteries charged up when your not traveling and dry camping. ( boondocking in the USA) . I also use two 6 volt batteries for May last 3 RV’s and we do mostly dry camping for weeks on end no power issues. We do have a 2000 watt Yamaha Gen set, however we rarely use it.
My was if from Stewart BC ( Stewart B.C. / Hyder Alaska) and we have made many trips up to northern B.C. over the years. When we did the trip up the Alaska Hwy through Dawson Creek we bought Mile Post as everyone on here was talking about that book. Wife thought I was nuts spending that money on a book, however once she started using it while we traveled it sure was handy. I just got my 2020 Mile Post for next year trip to Tuktoyaktuk NWT. lots of new stuff in it since my last book in 2004.
Have fun on your trip
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend going up to 3/4 ton. Then either use your current tt or get your 5th wheel long enough before going to Alaska to give it a thorough shakedown and fix all the minor defects and weak spots before you go.

Then, dont be in a hurry. Slow down on frost heaves and construction zones and you'll be fine.

Our trip in 2016 was with a 2500 HD gasser pulling a 36' 5er. Sometimes it would have been nice to have a bit smaller trailer but it was not a problem to find sites to park.

It was a great trip, still looking at going back!
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What's wrong with your current truck? I mean if it's time for a new truck it's time, but I'd actually prefer an older truck to wail on for 8000 miles of bumpy roads.
It literally is no different than driving around rural NC or wherever you live, except the bears are bigger, the deer are moose and there are less people and more mosquitos.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me? Option A, go with what you got and skip the new truck.

On edit:
Yes why beat up a new truck for this run. Besides you have a new truck if it is 3.5EB. I would have no issues taking my 20 year old truck on that journey and actually plan to some day.

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at a truck, go to the 1 ton. Pretty much the same cost, but heavier frame and suspension. The trucks since about 2012 in 3/4 and 1-ton have a nice ride when empty, not like the old days.

A light weight TT will get a real SHAKE down towing it that far. Get the heaviest built one you can. For a place to start, try Arctic Fox. There are others, maybe some better, but a place to start. Get the electric brake wires out of the axle tube and outside the tube, lashed to it firmly . Inside, they jiggle and abrade and short out. Tires need to be LT, 10 ply. Some of the construction areas have larger rock on the surface at times. Also, stiffer sidewalls add to the life if you make hard turns backing up. Avoid a rear kitchen. The back of the trailer will do some wild gyrations in the frost heave areas. Things hung in the closet may need rearranging.

It can be a nice trip, as it is all paved now,unlike the mud and gravel of the 1960's. But the pavement breaks and frost heaves do mean you need to slow down.

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Don't really want to go the TC route, since we will still take trips locally with extended stays (NC/SC beaches and mountains). Sounds like 3/4 Diesel may be the way to go, and 4x4 is required here on the farm anyway. I am not sure about tire size on my TT, I assume you can upgrade?

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I'd chime in with what Bill / Trackrig said. Counting my stint in Ewe-stun, I've only got about 48 years up here, but something North of 25 trips on the Alcan, starting back when it was gravel.

Much of this is preference (or preference based on observation) but I'd suggest the following:

- Get a 3/4T, 4x4: I just backed an empty boat trailer into a nasty spot on my property; dry, light trailer, but gnarly nonetheless and needed the 4WD to make it work. Can't state what the current premium for 4x4 is, but can state with certainty that up here, it's worth it...and as noted, one almost never sees a 2WD pickup
- I'd guess that the truck with TC might get into more "camping spots" but I think you might enjoy a bit more overall mobility with a TT and a truck, particularly if you end up staying in one locale for more than a night....drop the TT, go for dinner, shop a bit (don't buy the tourist trap stuff), cruise the local area, call it a night: easier in just a truck.
- Alaska doesn't have any "cities" to speak of, but Los Anchorage and Squarebanks are still easier to maneuver in with just a pickup than with either a TC or a trailer.
- 26' seems about right for a TT size. Go with big wheels if you can.
- I have a preference for diesel for a variety of reasons, but gas/diesel is a toss-up in reality. I'd think for use other than AK (i.e. on the farm) diesel might be preferred.
- There's not many "truck stops" up here like there are in the L48 (i.e. Pilot/Flying J, etc). Most locations on the main highways are configured to allow big rigs to come in and fuel up. Some ain't. Some others are clearly geared toward big rig traffic, but that traffic is as much pickups hauling boats or sno-go trailers as it is 18-wheelers.
- Strong personal bias (and worth no particular weight) but I'd stay away from the big DP rigs or similar large Class A's. I'd also stay away from the Class C's, but lots of them are rented and apparently enjoyed up here.
- There's so much more to do in AK (and on the trip up through Canada) than "just" RV that I wouldn't contemplate the trip in a setup that didn't allow me to toodle off somewhere sans TC or trailer...but again, just personal preference.
- Bring good photo gear...
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello JB - I've lived in Alaska for 50+ years and have driven the Alcan a few times. I own a 40' DP, a 26' Nash 26X TT and a 3/4T CC 4X4 diesel truck among other vehicles.

Before I retired about six years ago we went Stateside and bought the DP, left it in WA until spring when the ice was off of the Alcan and then brought it up. We used it one year here as planned to get familiar with it. Then I retired and we took a month to take it back down the Alcan. (When we came north in it from Vancouver, WA, we made in 99 hours from driveway to driveway.)

A 40' DP is too large for everyday use in Alaska if you really want to see things. If you already own one and coming up for a vacation, come on up in it though.

We base the DP usually in the El Mirage area west of Phoenix because of the plane connections on Alaska Airlines in and out of Phoenix. We have left it various other places in the States when we make longer trips.

After not having an RV for a couple of years up here, we decideded we needed something for summer use as we snowbird and go to the DP during the winter. Previuously we had a TC, enjoyed it, and got around well in it with just us and the dog - though he was a 200# Saint Bernard. We preferred to not have another TC so after a lot of looking we settled on a Nash 26X TT. A very nice, well made, solid unit, though it is on the heavy side.

To answer your first question, yes your 26' TT is fine with a few qualifications. Mine has 16" tires and the axles lowered so I have all sorts of ground clearance for pulling off of the side of the pavement or down some dirt roads. Hopefully you're not riding on 14" wheels. Having said that, you will still get around better and find more or better camping spots with a TT.

Either way, I'd upgrade to a 3/4T 4X4 truck. There probably aren't more than a half doze 2WD pick-up trucks in Alaska. Dealers don't even carry new ones on their sales lot.

Yes, you're pulling your 26' TT with your F150 now, but the Alcan and Alaska has a lot of mountains, steep grades, dirt roads, etc. With a 3/4T you'll get better brakes and a better transmission.

If you're happy with your current TT, I'd just upgrade to a 3/4T 4X4 truck. Gas or diesel, both will work. I'm prejudiced towards diesel. I haven't owned a gas rig since the late 80s(?) when Chevy came out with the 6.2 diesel except for my Jeeps.

Again, the 26' TT will work, but a TC will get you into more camping spaces. Do you prefer full hook ups, in which case space doesn't matter. Or if you want to camp by yourself Canada and Alaska has places all over to just pull off into if you've got a small rig.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
I did Alaska in 2005 in a truck camper pulling a little box trailer so I had everything I needed, including an inflatible boat. Other than 1 week in Alaska when my wife flew up, it just just me and my dog.

Last year, my wife and I (also a dog) made the same trip in our Class C. Much more comfortable. Since we towed a 4 wheel drive SUV we could access everything I was able to in the pickup in 2005.

We experienced no damage to our rig, except 2 windshield chips - one in Wyoming in a construction zone and one on the SUV driving on the Seward Highway.

Just take it slow and agree with other advice to slow down and move as far right as possible when trucks and other rvs are coming the other direction.

Great trip - you will really enjoy it.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in a 20' Roadtrek, so can't speak to towing something. I don't recall any obstacles being that insurmountable for any sized motorhome or towable combos. The odd soft surface, as in packed dirt/gravel combos, with no flagman or Pilot car/truck was occasionally a bit daunting, expecially near dusk, but nothing too dramatic. The construction workers up there are all 9 to 5ers.

If you want to see variety in RVs that tackle the AlCan Hwy 97, definitely stop in the Walmart/CTC parking lot in Whitehorse and the Walmart in Fairbanks. If you think you've seen it all, I've got news for you, you ain't seen nothin yet.:C

Even Dawson Creek had a few interesting oddities.
There was a guy there hauling a small house boat on a trailer behind a beat up old pickup truck, and after dark, he actually left the store, and proceeded to climb up on top of the house boat, and down inside for the night. First dual purpose, land and sea RV we've ever seen.

Beware the on coming 18 wheelers any time you're on gravel or dirt stretches up there. They will shower you with road debris, as it seems they're all late for something, the way they drive.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Our 31' C with toad took a beating going to Glenallen, Anchorage, Homer, Denali, and looping back down via Tok. There's all kinds of RVs, vans, motorcycles, everything visiting so bring what you're comfortable with. Gas prices, and all process, are higher by about 25% so plan and carry accordingly, but you can still find everything you can want to buy in the bigger cities.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A TC goes everywhere. You have fewer tires to worry about. I rented one on a Dodge in Anchorage and it was great.

A smaller lighter trailer would be okay for all of that driving, something 20 feet and under I would go with a 3/4 ton or a one ton truck.

Best to forget about the Dalton highway.