cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Super Noisy A/C

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I must have one of the most noisy A/C's around....

Two year old Dometic rooftop

It's all air noise.... no vibration.

85 Db at 4 feet.

You can download a decibel meter app and check yours too.

Let us know what brand a/c you have and the actual sound reading.

Think I want a whisper quiet mini-split.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
8 REPLIES 8

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I detest roof air and Onan generators. I use a Honda 2000 and an 8000 btu window ac. I went out and checked around 45 db on low. The db measurement does not measure tone some sounds are much worse than others. Think scratching nails on a chalkboard. I have 3 minis in my house and if I had room for the evaporator in my little Toyota would have put one in there a long time ago!

They duct the cooling air in some RV's, ok good. Then leave a hole in the roof to where the fan and blower motor are, well duh!! Might as well sit the unit on the kitchen table! Very simple fix, duct the return air with baffles.

I am sure some are reading this thinking well whats the big deal? Some are more sensitive to noise than others is the big deal.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I won't pay $200 for a plastic kit, I will make my own. Secondly, I will install a mini-split next fall.... they are whisper quiet.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I have a AtWood AirCommand and it is easily 50% quieter than the Dometic it replaced. It is much colder, throws air much further and also uses less power.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Check these out.

I built my own silencers and ran them for several years. These have nice filters and look even better than mine. Pricey but sure are well thought out and built.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
With this two year old Dometic, I can't hear anything inside or outside. TV, wife, thunder.

I wish I could play the sound on here.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Dometic in our old rig. It was so loud I couldn't watch TV without the volume being all the way up. We have two Coleman Mach units in our current rig and they are much much quieter. Whisper quiet is the way to go but the Coleman's aren't bad at all.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of trying one of these:
Wacko Products
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Watch this video done by Fit RV: Coleman Mach 10 NDQ
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad