cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are all RV's noisy and rattle?

jgalvin44102
Explorer
Explorer
Just a general question - My wife and I rented a well used 150k mile class C for a weekend trip from a private owner. We loved the conveniences while running down the road but it was a serious rattle trap. The RV was in great shape for its age and was well kept it seemed but was really loud on rougher roads - loud enough that you couldn't have a conversation. Is this normal? It was our first time in a chassis model camper, we have a pull behind toy hauler currently.

I realize that is a lot of miles and things wear out and loosen up but I am just curious if that's the norm in the newer units too?
24 REPLIES 24

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they always have rattles. Generally, you can dissipate the noise level by making sure everything is as secure as possible (windows totally closed, pots & pans not touching, etc). The better one stores things, the less noise. It takes time to figure the source of each sound, but then it's relatively easy to find a solution. Yes, RVs are big metal boxes filled with so many different things! The quality of the road, the quality of the materials used to make the RV, the way one drives it, so many different reasons for noises. We have been RVing for over 45 years, and have never had a ride in our RVs anywhere near as quiet as in our cars - the nature of the beast. BUT - we've always been able to have a conversation while driving!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest noise originally was the microwave. Not only did the mounting design suck (the whole thing was a bit loose and could move a little), but all the sheet metal holding the filters rattled around. I removed and reinstalled the microwave with more appropriate screws, and threw away the filters and metal pieces. I've got a roof vent in the kitchen anyway, don't need a vent in the micro.

The rest of the rattles we have are contents. The first hour of a trip the kids are on a rattle hunt lol.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
First, they are all TRUCKS!
Second, I agree with one of the other posts that mentioned the Chevy chassis are quieter than the Fords. I've had both.
Third, check and tighten every screw or bolt in every cabinet and every where else you see one.
Fourth, follow all the good advice about silencing between pieces of "stuff" you are carrying. We use no slip material for that purpose.

Fifth, enjoy the noise! It is taking you somewhere great.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
i use paper towels or napkins in-between pots and pans and wrap my mugs as well if they start rattling. Interestingly enough at about 5 miles out the rattles are less and less. One rattle i searched for the last few years came to light when the bracket holding the sway bar broke and it dropped down jamming my steering. Luckily i was just backing up.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
Here's an article describing the process, back when they used to remount the body 5 times before pulling it from service.

I would like to see that....I had one from a RV trade magazine but it is gone they scrubbed their archives.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Installed Koni FSD shocks and the ride quieted down a lot. Like others have said , typical places for rattles and noise: Stove and stove cover, pots and pans in cabinets, screen door spring. Door fitment and latch tightness (can be adjusted somewhat). Never gonna be like a car....

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
We did real good in quieting down our class B+ SHOWN HERE WITH MANY PICTURES.

- Lined cabinets, drawers, and utencil trays with foam mat cabinet liner material
- Placed a paper towel in between pots and such
- Added thick felt pads under the feet and wing tips of the roof antenna
- Replaced wood screws with threaded spiked T nuts and bolts to secure the microwave oven much tighter
- Place silicone pot holders over the stove grates before driving
- Added thick felt pads in strategic places on the flip-up counter hinges
- Opened up the TV and placed thick felt pads to quiet the internal sheet metal
- Attached the B+ cap cabinetry better
- Put in the proper tire pressure, not any more than required
- Carry a full tank of fresh water, it dampens noise fairly nicely

Though our 2007 E350-V10 rig drives very quietly, I am not done yet. I have one more thing planned. Our front suspension is light-weight, under-loaded, over-rated, because most of the weight is on the rear axle, much behind the rear axle, the teeter-totter effect. I will be replacing our front coil springs with the next rating less. The front springs on our E350 are the same as an E450. A softer ride up front should make things even more quiet as well as more comfortable, and maybe even level the rig better because the front sits a bit high.

Before you say it, I will get a wheel alignment after.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
After some time you recognize most of what the rattles are LOL. One sure way to cause rattles and have a horribly rough ride is to inflate the tires and air springs to max pressure. Referred to as riding
on bowling balls!

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
carringb wrote:

Also, do you know for sure the body was original to your chassis? For a long time, Cruise America used to swap old bodies onto new chassis. Until they finally realized the chassis is the longest lasting component. But I think they did this though the mid-2000's.

While this somewhat true the practice was stopped in 1976.

I looked at a bare chassis from them around 2005 or so. Might have even been as late as 2007.

Here's an article describing the process, back when they used to remount the body 5 times before pulling it from service.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:

Also, do you know for sure the body was original to your chassis? For a long time, Cruise America used to swap old bodies onto new chassis. Until they finally realized the chassis is the longest lasting component. But I think they did this though the mid-2000's.

While this somewhat true the practice was stopped in 1976.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one rattle---I say its behind the front TV and DW says its under the dash under the TV---either or, I can't find it---YET!

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
All rvs rattle and some a lot more than others. I don't think one can say a brand A is quieter than brand X necessarily. I'm constantly chasing rattles and eventually will narrow them down to just one or two. I can't stand rattles like others who just ignore them and drive on like there are none. I would not let any rattling rv that is for sale deter me from buying it but as soon as it's in my hands I'm right on working to quiet things down. Silence is golden.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's s matter of opinion. I do most of my driving on Pennsylvania roads. Everything rattles. ๐Ÿ˜ž

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
most rattles can be found and fixed.