Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yellowstone in October
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone in October

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had not considered that there would be no dump stations open. I'm thinking one of the RV parks outside of YS will be our best bet. I'd be REALLY bummed if they shut the park down completely before we got there. If that happened, we'd figure out something.

I'm working, my wife works, and I'm in the Army National Guard and have drill weekends to contend with. There is zero chance of us going now. It's early October or not at all.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GravelRider wrote:

I had not considered that there would be no dump stations open. I'm thinking one of the RV parks outside of YS will be our best bet. I'd be REALLY bummed if they shut the park down completely before we got there. If that happened, we'd figure out something.

I'm working, my wife works, and I'm in the Army National Guard and have drill weekends to contend with. There is zero chance of us going now. It's early October or not at all.
Better check to see if you can find a park outside of Yellowstone that will still be open. Many close early to mid October. And don't forget that COVID thing. Closures may come early.

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

GravelRider wrote:

Better check to see if you can find a park outside of Yellowstone that will still be open. Many close early to mid October. And don't forget that COVID thing. Closures may come early.

I found a couple that were still taking reservations during the time frame that I would be going. Neither looked particularly interesting to me... But if they're the only places, they all of a sudden are looking very interesting! lol

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slippery rock, this AM. at 11:15 traffic was backed up into the second street of West Yellowstone. I have seen it extend a little further a couple of times but it was also near the 4th. If people would get up, grab a slug of coffee, or get out of the 3 Bear Pancake house before 9 AM. they wouldn't have this problem. Also another thing to remember there are no Asian tours this summer. Seems really different not to see the cruise busses. Also the Chinese restaurant in West that catered to the bus trade is boarded up. Another, was not open yesterday at lunch time.

caver

Missouri, The Cave State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/20 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point on the Asian tours. I was there two years ago in mid September and the crowds were lower but seemed to be more Asian tour groups. Things were already on the verge of shutting down in some areas. I stayed outside the park at a FS CG and it was only open one more week.

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GravelRider wrote:

There is a dump station in Livingston at a convenience store where you can also get water. I have used it several times in the past. The dump was $10.00 and they charged a min fee for water. Slough Creek usually stays open, so check on that I have stayed there many times in Oct. usually in the first two weeks of the month.

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zb39 wrote:

Is YS having crowds right now? The few pics and video I see show it is empty compared to most years.

Why not go now?

I looked at the webcam's yesterday and the traffic in West was backup way into West. There was also a line in Gardener.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Plateau is high in elevation. The snow can get serious after Labor Day. October is late for Yellowstone. There should be some spaces available but you have to think of it as a winter type trip.

When National Parks get quiet in the late fall, they stop taking reservations for most campsites that are still open because the demand falls off rapidly. I like the off-season best. Off season in Yellowstone can have a lot of snow by October. It can be really cold by then, it is the luck of the draw. Cold as in zero of even lower.

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went in the west gate this AM at 8:20. Only stop at was to show drivers license and Old Farts Card. Get in before 9 AM and your good to go. When we went past some of the popular attractions it sure was different to see no tour busses parked. Another thing to remember about late September and early October, not only colder, day light is much shorted, longer dark nights. The Forest service closed Rainbow Point CG today. It was because of grizzly activity. I believe rigs are parked all over the West Yellowstone area.

https://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/campground-near-yellowstone-closed-by-grizzlys-presence/article_4127f95f-b051-556e-a9f7-66d6f1cf1612.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems like you always have a camper who leaves food out in a wilderness campground.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone in October
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.