cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DirecTV HD satellite reception

Shempie51
Explorer
Explorer
I need some assistance. I have a DirecTV HD-DVR, model HR24-500. My portable dish is a DirecTV Slimline SL-3, with a triple, NON-SWM, LNB. Everything is brand new. I have been a DirecTV customer for 16 years, and used a SD 18” round dish all those years with no problems getting satellite TV reception. I am familiar with the setup procedure, and made all the correct dish and receiver settings. I have tried 4 times to get HD TV reception while out in my travel trailer without ever getting HD TV reception. I constantly get Error 771, “Searching for Satellite Signal.”
I have checked all cables, connections, and I am using a B-Band convertor. I even ran the coaxial cable directly from the dish to the receiver, bypassing the cable in the walls of the trailer. And still I get Error 771.

Can anyone give me any suggestions to get HD TV reception from DirecTV while out in my travel trailer?
7 REPLIES 7

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
he's gone
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I have been aiming a slimline dish for 10 years now. I have never ever had a meter. I use the signal strength screen built in to my DTV receiver and a wireless baby monitor. Aim the camera at the TV screen and take the remote outside. Works like a champ and my daughter gave me the monitor when my grandchild was old enough that she quit using it. Even if I had to buy the monitor it is cheaper than any good meter. I also use a heavy duty tripod from TV4RV.com.

Works like a champ for 10 years now fulltime.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Getting the SD programs on 110 is easy. The HD signal is way more sensitive. You have to be absolutely dead on with your aiming. Took me a couple hours to get it right the first few times I set up the dish. Now I can get it dialed in in about 20 minutes. Helps that I have a satellite aiming meter so that I can read the signal strength right at the dish. The meters are expensive to buy new, but you can find them cheap on FleaBay.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
op is gone

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I suspect you are too used to the old sd setup. You could get quite sloppy and manage to pick up the signal.

That darn HD dish can be a bear. Absolutely level to start or just give up.

It is also easy to misread the little tick marks and be way off.

The pointing is so sensitive that just putting your finger on the reflector can make the signal go in and out.

It doesn't help they don't have the alignment signal any more. Or maybe it is back. So I use a cheap IP camera and point it onto the tv screen.

You have to move the dish very slowly. The right to left turning is far less critical than the up down. Skew is not so difficult.

Use a good dish pointer app to be sure there are no twigs in the way. Not one leaf or twig.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You didn’t mention signal strength. What is your signal strength meter telling you?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know..do you still have to pay extra for it? Sounds like you're doing everything right. I assume you ARE getting SD reception?

I have noticed, in the last 6 months or so, that aiming my Slimline SWM is getting much more difficult. I have to go much slower and more carefully than I used to. I used to be able to swing the dish faster and it would show a signal on the 'test signal strength' screen. And the beeping? Sometimes that works, usually not.

Bill.Satellite is the resident expert on here. Hopefully he'll be along soon.