cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Water Accident

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this post will provide some laughs. I drained our grey and black water tanks to our TT last season, then winterized with approved anti-freeze for the winter. Before we departed on our first RV trip, I made sure both the grey and black water release valves were not seized up, buy pulling open, lubricating with teflon spray, then closing both valves. Fast forward to our first RV camping trip of the season. At the campground setup (yes both grey and black valves were still closed) - when I went to remove the cover to the TT waste pipe, it was very hard to turn and remove. I figured it was the arthritis in my hands that made it difficult - but WAIT FOR IT - when the cover finally came off, I got a full force jet stream of urine, and feces in the face - full blast. Yep, I had a nice clean up job of the ground, then took a shower.
F.Y.I. our TT has cleaning jets for the black water tank, which I always use for 20 minutes before leaving the campground.
So I have since learned that even though the black and grey indicator level LED's show empty - there can still be substantial residue left in the tanks.
But I don't understand how such a forceful jet stream of waste can blast out when both grey and black water valves are turned off.
Why did I have this unpleasant start to our camping trip?
45 REPLIES 45

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have clear plastic elbows on mine so I can see any residuals. seems many of us have a "shower of shame" story.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
5 tank flushes?? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GlanvilleNed
Explorer
Explorer
A piquant situation. By the way, I just found out that fines for those caught draining water when or where they shouldn't be can vary, with LA County issuing fines up to $1,000. The warning from the official game followed complaints from residents that RV users were illegally dumping water. This is not the first time that authorities have received complaints about wastewater discharge by RV users. Well, in 2015, residents near San Diego said an illegal dump caused a foul stench in the community. Actually, it's a big fine. Last year, I needed the help of a car accident attorney los Angeles, and I took my $ 500 for a scratched car. This is less than I would pay for the repair!

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
A little late reply but that's a Pisser of an event.

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
Kellem, yep, that's what happened. And it's the over use of paper that necessitates having to flush more frequently than I'd like. I can't imagine how bad it would be if we didn't use "the right paper."

As they say, "choose your battles wisely, and don't walk away from the BWT flush!
Jerry & Pamela
2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar ST324RLS-38' TT
2020 Silverado 1500 w/Max Haul package & Airlift bags.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a wife like mine who uses copious amounts of paper then using the tank flush many times is a necessity. We have had the use a little less paper talk but I don't want to die on that mountain. I also use a tank wand to flush even after I have used the built in tank flush and things run clear and guess what, a whole bunch more solids come out. I only do that a couple times a season and when I am putting it up for the season. A clean tank doesn't stink so for me its not about the dreaded poop pyramid or a squeaky clean tank, it's about stink control.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
jpmyers wrote:
Well I've got a good one. I was flushing my BWT. I normally stay with it and will close the black water valve for no more than 3 minutes for the tank flush to do it's thing. However, on the 5th flush, I got to "multi-taking." The next thing I know, water is pouring down the sides of my RV. I can't imagine how bad this would have been had it occurred during the 1st flush! This rig is less than a month old. From what I can tell, nothing penetrated into the walls as the crevice seals seen to have done their job.

Trying to get my head around this and sorry but had to laugh.
You saying you filled the black water tank above capacity and it ran out the roof vent and down the sides of trailer ?
Say it isn't so.

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
Well I've got a good one. I was flushing my BWT. I normally stay with it and will close the black water valve for no more than 3 minutes for the tank flush to do it's thing. However, on the 5th flush, I got to "multi-taking." The next thing I know, water is pouring down the sides of my RV. I can't imagine how bad this would have been had it occurred during the 1st flush! This rig is less than a month old. From what I can tell, nothing penetrated into the walls as the crevice seals seen to have done their job.
Jerry & Pamela

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
pmlevine wrote:

Well, there is a waste drain at each campsite, so no, I am not making other folks wait while I try to jet rinse the black tank. This model TT came equipped with a built-in jet rinse for the black tank. There is a separate, dedicated hose port on the TT specifically for the jet rinse. I only use the jet rinse after first draining the black tank, then the grey tank. The jet rinse is done with only the black valve open, and is the last thing I do before leaving the campsite.
So I also don’t understand why BurpMan does not like the idea of hooking up a hose from the campsite water supply to the separate jet rinse port on the TT.

I do the same thing. Empty tanks...flush black tank using the rinse port...close valve and let run for a minute to put a few gallons of fresh water into the tank so it doesn't run dry. Simple and certainly no risk to the water system of the campground.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you store the trailer in a garage, it sure is nice to have all the stuff out of the tank.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
So what if a little "Stuff" stays in your black tank . As long as you keep a little water in the tank to keep it moist the "Stuff" will come out the next time you dump. I never try to get mine perfectly clean and I've had this, made in 1993, TT for 10 years now.

LOL, I never did get the perfectly clean black tank either?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
So what if a little "Stuff" stays in your black tank . As long as you keep a little water in the tank to keep it moist the "Stuff" will come out the next time you dump. I never try to get mine perfectly clean and I've had this, made in 1993, TT for 10 years now.

jpmyers
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea Bobbo! I have the clear 90s on both of my tank outlets and have another for the exit end of my hose. I would like to find a clear Y but the opaque I have is sufficient.

I use the built in BWT flush nearly every time I dump my BWT. As Bobbo described, I open a dedicated hose to the flush after dumping had become a small trickle. My difference is that I'll close off the BWT valve and let the flush run for 3 minutes, then open. I'll do that for an many cycles as it takes to get a clear, "chunk-free" stream.

I am looking to put more clear pieces into my system. Anything that gives me a better indication of having properly cleaned my tanks, to me, is worth the time, effort and expense.

That said, anyone know if a good resource for RV plumbing supplies?
Jerry & Pamela

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
kellem wrote:
I have a black tank rinser on latest trailer but have yet to use it.

Never had it on previous trailers and never needed it.

Indeed a great concept but keeping black tank wet works marvelously.

Never having used it, you have no way to know if you ever needed it. I use a clear section between my stinky slinky and the RV so I can see "stuff" coming out of the tank. Just pulling the handle lets it flow freely. When the flow stops, I turn on the tank rinse. I always get more solids out. Not a lot, but enough. If I had never done that, I would have thought that I never needed it either.

Ditto on the clear extension.
It is amazing how much more stuff comes out with a rinse. And I always have a wet tank, also.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch