cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Panic

dturm
But I got three stories in a professional email today. Some of you may have seen the first in the major news feeds throughout the day today.

1. There has been a new H1N1 virus (more typical flu) variation found in pigs in China. It has been labeled as having pandemic potential. It is being monitored for mutation and potential spread to humans and birds. It is not now a threat, just has potential.

2. There is a viral epidemic spreading through the US rabbit population, both wild and domestic rabbits. It's called "Rabbit Ebola" but it is NOT an ebola virus and has no potential to spread to humans. It does cause hemorrhagic disease and death in rabbits.

3. Ferrets and mink appear to be very susceptible to this coronavirus. I guess there are some mink farms in Wisconsin and they are working with the state health department to monitor potential spread.

My main reason for posting this is for reliable information distribution. Also to reemphasize our need for a robust public health community, surveillance and international cooperation to protect us all.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV
19 REPLIES 19

dturm
If you think the oxygen concentration at 19% wearing a mask is a problem, you'll really hate having to have 100% oxygen while in a COVID ward or on a vent.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve not been at 14,000’; I have skied the tops of A Basin and Breckinridge CO at 13,000’ and last summer we visited Independence Pass at 12,000’. The air is thin up there.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
And people will get brain damage if forced to breath air with less than 19% oxygen while wearing a mask despite the fact that above 2,000’ elevation the percent oxygen naturally drops below 19%.

WHEW - I'm so glad I live at 800'..... and as a flatlander, I can attest that there's ZERO oxygen (or so my body thinks) at 14,000 feet and above.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
And people will get brain damage if forced to breath air with less than 19% oxygen while wearing a mask despite the fact that above 2,000’ elevation the percent oxygen naturally drops below 19%.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
It’s a free country and nobody can make me wear a mask if I don’t want to. This so-called pandemic is just a hoax made up by the fake news organizations and promoted by mask manufacturers. It’s way over blown. And, as a reminder, the earth is still FLAT!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Dr Doug,
Thanks for the info.
I get the feeling that a country’s citizens response to the pandemic is a reflection of that country’s success or failure in educating its citizens in science.
Mark

Or is it that large groups of people are just quick to rationalize why they don't need to follow intelligent advice, based on conspiracy/political bent/crazy theories....LOL! (I'm especially entertained by the "masks cause CO2 poisoning" group - really?? Every Doctor/nurse/medical assistant would be dead (eye roll)) The anti-vaxxers will be saying Rabbit Ebola came from the Covid Vaccine testing... oy....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I read about the rabbit hemorrhagic disease awhile back, and subsequently noted that I've seen no rabbits at all this year. They're normally plentiful in our yard and throughout the neighborhood. Like many we're going out a lot less than normal, but I haven't even seen any rabbit roadkill. Unless there's been a major uptick in coyotes or other predators, which I don't think there has been, then I'm assuming it's probably the hemorrhagic disease.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Our county had the 4-H animal show online. Not sure exactly how they did it, but the kids still got to "show" their critters and get ribbons.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the good recon, Dr. Doug.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
There was mention of the rabbit disease on a podcast I heard recently. Rabbit hemorrhagic disease if it’s the same thing...not a new disease, but sounded like more cases in the US than previous years.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Dr Doug,
Thanks for the info.
I get the feeling that a country’s citizens response to the pandemic is a reflection of that country’s success or failure in educating its citizens in science.
Mark
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Better job distributing information than certain branches of our government.

dturm
Our county fair got cancelled - probably a good thing as our county was/is the number 2 county in Indiana for COVID cases. The 4-H people are having smaller showings and online events.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Dr Doug - I will pass the "Rabbit Ebola" news along to my daughter, whose kids show rabbits in 4H (assuming there IS a 4-H Fair this year)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs