Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cherrystone RV in VA Area

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

We are heading down to spend a week at Cherrystone RV park in VA in a few weeks. Never been there but read many good reviews on this site and others. We also have family coming down and renting cottages, so I am curious to hear a little feedback about the area and things to do outside the park We will have 5 kids between a few families ranging in age of 3-12 with us. Seems like a lot to do in the park, but if we get bored where else can we go? I used to travel 5-6 times per year from PA to VA Beach area for business but never recreation so I never really paid attention. I suppose we could go to VA beach for a day trip. Any other thoughts of things within 30 minutes or so?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone brought your own kayaks to Cherrystone? I see they have rentals but we have our own. Wondering if there is a good place to leave them near the water for convenient use??

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The restaurant and the fishing pier on the bridge tunnel have been done away with as the owners (not the state of VA) build 2 new tunnels to make the trip safer.
Don't forget to wander thru the town of Cape Charles while you are there. Say hi to the dog at the ice cream place.
There is a refuge south of Cherry Stone but still on the eastern shore that still has the big guns mounted from WWII. They were installed to protect the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and had a matching battery at Fort Story on the Va Beach side.
John McCain ditched a plane in the bay between the 2 during his Navy days the story goes.
Puma 30RKSS

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies so far! Very much looking forward to eating some crab! Not sure how many of the mentioned items in Mike's post will be open like charter boats etc. but I am making a list and we will look into it.

Wildlife refuge looks interesting as well and appears to be super close!

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Been over 15 yrs since we stayed at Cherrystone. Campground sells the crab traps & bait where your kids can go crabbing off the piers, ours had a blast. Another recommendation they also have a half day charter boat, the charter was totally turn key, easy fishing for the kids! MISS JENNIFER TICKETS 15 yrs ago cherrystone was loaded with stuff for the kids I've read they have even expanded even more. There's probably enough stuff to keep a family busy for a week at the park.

Our trip we had stayed for 9 days so we decided to do 3 day trips, 2 to Busch Gardens and 1 to VA beach, crossing the Chesapeake bay bridge is expensive but its an event in it's self, if I remember there was a fishing pier and restaurant at mid point of the bridge.

Have a safe trip & enjoy!
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Eastern Shore of Virginia National Wildlife Refuge and Kiptopeke State Park are not far South in Cape Charles.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
An hour north of ther is the town of Chincoteague Va. Home of a national wildlife refuge, with the wild horses that Margurite Henry wrote of, as well as a nice oceanside beach. A visit to Wallops Island is easy there also which is a NASA facility with some interesting museum pieces.