cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transfer switch salvagable?

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Apparently my Progressive Dynamics has failed. I thought it was a faulty 30 AMP connection on the ole at my garage. Rebuilt the connection and definitely have power there.
I can start the genset and have power when it runs.
The switch had a couple of moments delay before it would switch over, but I was told and read this was to protect the genset until it ran smoothly.
Pretty much figured the switch is at fault. There is a pile of wires and work to replace it - likely beyond by confidence and ability. My hope is that there is some sort of re-set or such that can be done to "un-stick" the points and get it working right again.
I have seen several videos on trouble shooting etc but found nothing on what to do if trouble is found.
Is there such a thing as manually operating the switch manually a few times - with the power and gen set off of course? Ideas or solutions?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow
12 REPLIES 12

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You never know who may need one.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I expect I will just keep. Unless someone in dire need happens to show up at my door. The guy at Progressive was such a nice guy I really don't want to trouble him (and embarass myself further ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
Blue Ox tow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!
You going to keep or return transfer switch?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
How lucky can I be? The new switch came in on friday from Fed Ex. This morning I went over the schematics of the switch and took a pile of photos. Pretty hot here in Ga and I hooked a fan up to move some air as I worked. 2 minutes previously there was power and then none. Hmmm? Tracked back to the 30 amp receptacle I just rebuilt, knew it was good. Went further up the line and flipped a 30 amp breaker. It felt loose. My son took a look and said the same thing. 'bad breaker'. We replaced the breaker and had power. Plugged in the MH and 30 seconds later the transfer switch clicked over and was ready to go to work.
All the worry and a new transfer switch I didn't need. BUT, I didn't have to go to the trouble of taking all the wires and box out and then putting the new switch in. Turns out a 7 dollar breaker was the problem all along. That yellow on my face is egg, that smile on my face is satisfaction of not having to take out and replace all that equipment.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
Blue Ox tow

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
I had to warranty replace one thaf was just over a year old. They were easy about it, but it still sucked.
Winnebago Access 24V

MrWizard
No! Easy RESET fix

New contacts are harden, to keep them from wearing to fast, once they arc and burn enough to start sticking, you replace the transfer switch
In an industrial situation the machinery tech, will replace the contactor relay, to get the machine running, then rebuild the bad 0ne with new parts, and put it on the shelf for the next time a similar machine breaks down
RV transfer switches do not come with a parts list and part numbers for DIY repairs

In a have too situation I might be able to source some parts to make a repair, but I have that experience as part of my working life
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually it's fairly easy to rebuild if you have the parts but.. If it is new enough the factory will do it.

When my PD-9180 (Converter) died at 12.5 years old I was about to leave from the Flint MI area (Davison) For South Carolina for the winter. So I picked up a nice and very handy battery charger (Deltran Battery tender Delux puts out 2,20 or 70 amps depending on mode and will auto switch from 20-2 amp "Tender" mode and in tender mode it works just like the smaller units)

Used it for a day and a half. and on Halloween Morn was parked at the T/A Truck stop in Tekonsha MI.. Pulled the converter (In a light snow) and off to Marshall.. Walked in the parts/service door and was ask "Can I help you" Pointed to the unit and said DEAD. told to go through a 2nd set of doors, Again ask "Can I help you" Same response. "put it on my desk"

$236 later I walked out with a factory rebuilt back to Tekonsha. Installed (partially did not bolt it down) and off to SC.

Factory address is on "Industrial" but the factory is on the corner of Industrial and the main drag from Tekonsha to Marshall. If you get to the round about you went too far.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Replace the entire switch! Don't fool around with trying to patch it.
Get the same model.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You can "file" the points to make it work in a pinch. But it is NOT a long term fix. They fail because the Rv'er transfers with loads. Turn your interior main breakers OFF and then Plug into Shore or Start the Genset and then turn your Main interior breaker back on after the Transfer has closed the relay's. The Transfer box will last forever. Some Transfer boxes close relay's in both Gen and Shore and others the Shore is already closed and the Transfer relay's open from shore and close to Gen. Doug

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Not likely something that can be rebuilt except by factory trained technicians who can diagnose the problem and replace the faulty parts, if they are replaceable at all.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Make and model of transfer switch?

Progressive Dynamics PD52

I spoke with a guy at the factory and his advice was to go ahead and replace it. Said that once they start sticking it won't get any better.
I just ordered one from their authorized distributor in Tennessee. Guy said it should go out today and I should have it by Friday.
Somehow I doubt the delivery date but I can always hope I guess.

Leisure Time Distributing
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
Blue Ox tow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make and model of transfer switch?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow