cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who do you use for Insurance?

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I just sold my Coleman, and had Gieco on it. I have a new 5th wheel that I will be purchasing in about 2 weeks, and am looking for alternative insurance companies. Since it is financed, it is mandatory. Gieco is OK, but it's year round, so when stored I still pay full rate.
19 REPLIES 19

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Used Good Sam's insurance at first but turns out my auto insurance offered same coverage at a lesser price.
Now I have TV & TT covered by the same company so there's no issue who covers the damage.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
I am I wrong or is everyone else. The insurance on your trailer is not in effect when it is hooked to your truck! Your auto policy covers it.
The insurance on your camper covers it when parked or stored. The trailer policy covers in storage or use. Theft fire trees fallin hail,pretty much anything that occurs when it stand alone.

Am I wrong, This was always my assumption!

may depend on the insurance company. In my case when hooked to the TV the TV insurance covers property damange, liability etc that may be caused by the trailer or towing combo. I'm not sure if damage to the trailer is covered when connected or if that relys on a trailer specific policy.

When unhooked that insurance goes away and you rely on a trailer policy to cover damage liability etc.

But again, check with your insurance company to determine exact coverage.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I am I wrong or is everyone else. The insurance on your trailer is not in effect when it is hooked to your truck! Your auto policy covers it.
The insurance on your camper covers it when parked or stored. The trailer policy covers in storage or use. Theft fire trees fallin hail,pretty much anything that occurs when it stand alone.

Am I wrong, This was always my assumption!

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
State Farm, the same people that insure everything else I have.

Bill

Yes!

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
We recently shifted everything to Mapfre insurance. Tough to get home owners on an island and tough to get an RV covered Massachusetts. They did both saving us almost 3 grand a year from our previous policies.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Another State Farm here.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Acdii wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
Trackrig wrote:

Bill

x2 on State Farm.

IMHO the best choice is to use ONE insurance company for all your insurance needs. that way no overlap or gap's in coverage or arguements on who covers.

Yes it is. Unfortunately, State Farm, nor Farmers Insurance wont cover my Farm. Ironic, eh? Very few insurance companies have insurance for properties with a barn and equipment riders. All my autos are under Gieco which made a huge difference in prices. It would have cost more to insure the one trailer than 2 trucks and a car combined.

my trailer insured with state farm (along with my other vehicles) costs $102/yr for liability, comp, collision, etc. with a $1,000 deductible. my cargo trailer with same coverage is $29/yr.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
Trackrig wrote:

Bill

x2 on State Farm.

IMHO the best choice is to use ONE insurance company for all your insurance needs. that way no overlap or gap's in coverage or arguements on who covers.

Yes it is. Unfortunately, State Farm, nor Farmers Insurance wont cover my Farm. Ironic, eh? Very few insurance companies have insurance for properties with a barn and equipment riders. All my autos are under Gieco which made a huge difference in prices. It would have cost more to insure the one trailer than 2 trucks and a car combined.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:

Bill

x2 on State Farm.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Holy ****, online quote from Good sam is nearly $2,000 a year. The others are more than that. Currently paid $230 a year on the old trailer Been on hold for an hour now with gieco trying to get a quote and remove the old trailer.

EDIT, 2 hours later on hold, finally got through. Less than 1/4 what all the others listed for insurance which includes full cost replacement. $440 a year opposed to nearly $2000 a year.

Thanks for the replies. Sticking with Gieco for now.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We use Progressive and have been very satisfied with them.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
We have Progressive now and we've had National General in the past. I check every year for the best rate with comparable coverage. These past two years it just so happens that Progressive was the cheapest. Fortunately, we haven't had to file a claim in the 6 years we've been RVing.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Safeco. All our other policies (3 vehicles, house, RZR) are with Allstate but Safeco was still cheaper for the same coverage, even once a multi-policy discount was factored in with Allstate.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
State Farm - 30+ years for everything.

Regarding insurance year 'round, motorcycles and RV's are like that just about all the major carriers. If a tree falls on your RV in winter...insurance won't pay. Water damage during storage? Won't pay. We had water damage on a TT back in 2003/4 winter. Insurance wrote check for $3,500 after RV dealer said how much to fix. Would not have paid without insurance.

The motorhome is the first RV we've financed in 20+ years of RVing. Still, I keep my insurance on stuff, stored or not.

If you had a motorcycle in your garage over winter, and no insurance because not using it, and garage burned....well, it would only pay for contents up to a certain amount (tools, motorcycle, stuff, etc. all combined). Best keep it year 'round.