Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Any thoughts on a repair?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Any thoughts on a repair?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
K Mac

Lower Hudson Valley N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for your misfortune, as said, doable, even if you have to build a temp. tent, to get it out of the weather. This is not a couple of wknds. worth of work. You can search all kind of fixes/repairs here, most better than factory. Time,lots of time. Don't let it overwhelm you. Was this a dealer ? (if so I drive it through his front window) or not I'd ask a lawyer if you have any recourse. No way they can say "they weren't aware " of the problem. Good luck !

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope you didn't pay too much for it... POS in my opinion.. But, with the price of newer truck campers these days... Might be worth it to fix if the rest is okay?

Good luck! Mitch

JrStafford

Earth

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good grief. Apparently I got a $3,500 lesson for my 1st camper! That's way above my expertise level. Limp it home and try to sell it to someone for a project and get a little bit of money back. It would be silly to hire someone to do all that work to a 2000 camper.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The main issue is on the passenger side. Sorry for the error.
But the buckling fiberglass in front of the water heater in the picture from the driver's side tells the same story.
Look at the picture BurbMan posted. Once you start disassembly, you will be surprised. And not in a good way.
The cabover is already coming down on the roof, if I understand your initial post right. You will need to support it when you drive this thing. Putting some sort of buffer between the roof and the cabover is probably the only way to do that. And even then you need to drive very carefully. When this camper starts porpoising, every cycle is going to make things worse.
Those brackets fastened to the lower edge of the cabover on the driver's side... I can only guess they are there to keep the floor in.
That does not look good :-(

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you run a support board up from the running boards for the trip home? Use pipe strap or something to avoid holes in the running board. Maybe a diagonal board above the truck roof from DS back door to PS front door or whatever works.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those Atwood electric jacks on your camper have been discontinued. If you want to part the camper out, they may be worth more than the rest of it together.

I am sorry for your bad experience. I can relate somewhat to your experience as we spent six weeks fixing a relatively minor but unexpected rot problem on our first camper.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some gently inflated tire tubes between the truck and the cabover floor might work. They would dampen the flex, but still allow movement.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For sure it's not worth paying somebody to fix it, it's a labor of love if you have the time and tools.

The guy I got mine from was in a similar situation. Nobody would buy it and it was gonna cost him $$ to dispose of it at the dump, so he posted it for free on the local FB camping group. I knew what I was getting into but I couldn't say no to free....

I'll be into this for about $4k when it's done, but that will be basically rebuilt every wall except the back, new insulation, new fiberglass on the outside with new graphics, new fridge, new electronics, solar, new mattress....

It will be like a new camper when I'm done, I'm about 2 months into the project and am hoping to be done in September sometime.

FYI, I found a company on Amazon selling new electronics for the Atwood Jacks, here is the controller for $55 and the Remote for $55 and the activation switch for $28

I haven't connected mine yet but they look like this company followed the Atwood designs.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
Follow the Renovation here!

SOLD:
2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2002 Sunnybrook 34' Bunkhouse (in pic)
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

JrStafford

Earth

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

Some gently inflated tire tubes between the truck and the cabover floor might work. They would dampen the flex, but still allow movement.

Someone out here in the fire camp actually had that as a suggestion too, I just don't have any tire tubes. The other suggestion was a cheap twin air mattress from Walmart in between the cab and the camper. Although I'm still 81 miles from a Walmart :-) I might be able to buy one at the local Dollar store.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A local tire shop might have some tubes. Whatever you do, I wish you luck - and success! Be safe!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Any thoughts on a repair?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.