cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban oven pilot will not stay lit

edelstar
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Suburban 3 burner range, model SRNA3LBBEZ purchased in 2018. There is an issue which is driving me to drink. I can light the oven pilot fine, and the main burner lights as expected. At some point, I can hear and see the pilot sputter and eventually when the main burner shuts down, the pilot will go out as well.

I did some searching and found a few posts that outline my exact problem. The most useful posts indicated that some Suburban ovens had a bad pilot assembly with too small an orifice and when the oven warmed up, the orifice would close up and restrict the flow of propane. I went out and bought a replacement pilot (part 161209) but after I install this, the lit pilot is a big yellow flame rather than the nice blue flame of the original pilot. I've checked all over the oven gas circuit and I don't see an adjustment anywhere. The new pilot looks just like the original pilot except for maybe the size of the pinhole.

Someone please help me fix this. I've called Suburban and the nice woman basically told me that she can't help me at all. The only thing they can do is refer me to an authorized service center. My range is in a remote location and taking it to a service center is not really an option. How a manufacturer can refuse to support their own product is really beyond me.
8 REPLIES 8

edelstar
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some frame grabs from the sputtering video:

Here you see both the main burner and pilot lit

Then the pilot goes out

Then the pilot lights up again

This pilot light on/off will take place in less than one second.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
edelstar wrote:
If I can figure out how/where to host some images, I will show photos

Here tryThis Link to post some pictures.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

edelstar
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the original pilot (burner removed for testing) right when it's lit and before it heats up enough to start sputtering

Here is the replacement (exact part number) pilot with the big yellow flame.

In both these pictures, I have released the control knob and the thermocouple has gotten hot enough to hold open the pilot control valve. I also have a video showing the pilot sputtering while the main burner is on, but I'm not sure how to link that here. The forum doesn't like external linking.

edelstar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. A bit more information:

- This oven has had this issue since new
- This pilot uses a thermocouple, not a thermopile
- This issue happens when the temperature knob is set to a bake temperature

This does NOT appear to be a thermocouple issue. When the pilot starts to sputter, I can manually push in the little button at the gas valve (essentially the same thing that happens when you push in the knob to light) with no change to the pilot flame.

The new pilot tube (same part number as the original) burns with a big yellow flame like there is not enough air. There does not appear to be any way to adjust the mixture.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you want to light the oven. We use ours for storage!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Are you turning the knob all the way off or back to pilot?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
there should be a rod that sits in the pilot flame. that rod is a thermoelectric pile. when it gets hot it is a electric source. the output of the thermoelectric pile keeps the gas valve open. So.

1) make sure the thermopile is in the flame.
2) make sure the pilot is burning well. these have a small orifice so any dust, dirt, spider webs, rust can result in a low flame pilot.
3) those thermopiles do fail, not often but the do. usually the failure mode is reduced voltage output which will result in the pilot extenquising. if it fails with no output, you can't keep the pilot buring w/o holding in the pilot switch.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
sounds like the thermostat assembly thermal couple is failing.
tThermostat
Parts list
It might be worth trying to clean the pilot orifice.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker