cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bad thermostat?

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Keystone Sprinter 33bh. Single roof AC unit, Coleman three button thermostat keeps cutting out. Sometimes runs for days, sometimes shuts off randomly three or four times in a row. Sometimes entire thermostat goes dark, sometimes just kills fan and AC. Will do this randomly on fan or AC. Is this a common problem? Thermostat box seems very flimsy and cheap.
7 REPLIES 7

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
We are 1700 miles from home yet, so I'm going to limp it along but I'm thinking of taking it apart at out last stop to see if there's a loose connection or whatnot. I need to address a couple other minor issues at the end of our trip also.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
islandvagabonds wrote:
Some of the RVP thermostsats were suseptible to RF inerference from flourescent lights and cell phone chargers. The Tstats wouold just blank out to 0000.
Depower your tsat and any of the above then restart the tsat to see if that is the issue. Been there done that.
Good luck
Bob

These RVP tstats are the old Zone Control tstats. He has a newer that is not subject to RF problems. Doug

islandvagabonds
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the RVP thermostsats were suseptible to RF inerference from flourescent lights and cell phone chargers. The Tstats wouold just blank out to 0000.
Depower your tsat and any of the above then restart the tsat to see if that is the issue. Been there done that.
Good luck
Bob

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I keep coming back to the thermostat box is because when it acts up sometimes the entire display goes blank, like it's not getting power at all. Then, randomly, it will come back on again and I can turn the AC or fan back on. Sometimes the digital display stays on and it just licks off like it's reached the target temperature. Sometimes the screen flickers like a loose connection. I'm thinking of just taking it apart to see if there's something loose inside. Also it seems like this isn't a very expensive unit, the same one lists on Amazon/eBay between $50-$100.

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
I can remove the digital thermostat from the wall and see there are 7 or 8 wires going into it. They all look to be secure at least where the wires fit into the plug in harness on the back of the box. It is the Coleman Airxcel unit. Has two triangular arrow buttons and one longer rectangular button below it. Not a touchscreen. Where on my camper are the locations that I should check for a loose connection? The camper is three years old and I've never had to dig into anything like that yet.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry, I had Dometic on my mind. But, same things. You seem to have the LCD Coleman(RVP) wall tstat? Verify wiring is secure at the tstat and also at the roof AC control board. 12 volt power to the system depends on the OEM and if they run 12 volts direct to the AC system or if the use the Furnace 12 volt wire to power it. Doug

PS, There is no common failure of this tstat.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
could be a loose wire .I,d check the box where the ac and power lines come together, sometimes those wire nut connectors come loose.just a guess.