cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torklift tiedowns and Titan aux tank

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
This about my 3rd go round thinking about an auxiliary tank. We have a 5th wheel that takes a lot of diesel to pull. I considered getting a RDS in bed tank but would have to remove it to use the Bigfoot. Not that big a deal...3 bolts and cap off the hose. So next I thought about a Titan under bed replacement. About $1300...double the RDS price. The Titan is only 20 gallons more than the OEM though. I look at the Titan comments on Amazon and someone reports that on their 2017 RAM they had to modify the front Torklift bracket. I originally had a 2016 RAM SRW before the 2018 DRW. When I checked the Torklift applications the brackets were surprisingly different on the front for DRW vs. SRW. I assumed the rears would be different. So I ordered the different front brackets.
So, all that said, if I ordered a Titan tank I would have at least a 50% chance of having to modify a Torklift bracket. I have no idea if the guy that made the comments had a dually or SRW or how much he had to modify them. He just said a bolt would rub.
Has anyone here added a Titan tank to a late model Ram with Torklifts? SRW or DRW?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
10 REPLIES 10

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, vapor pressure, Boyles Law, etc.
35 years in a large petrochemical facility.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
air bubble
You probably can find specifics on DOT sites, but I observe that automotive cans are build with more than 10% capacity for air bubble.
Not big deal with diesel, but can be if you try to carry gasoline in hot RV compartment.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 others. I take the top off and put 5 gallons in and put the top back on.
What am I missing?
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I ordered another VP Racing 5 gallon jug from Amazon today.

Those are not DOT approved and don't have build-in air bubble.
Make sure you understand how to fill them.

GCasta
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW with the Titan fuel tank.
I did have to modify the Torklift front bracket for my truck camper So it would not rub on tank.
The bracket has two bolts where a nut welded on opposing sides of the mounting plate for each bolt. I ended up grinding off the nut on the tank side and welding on on opposite side, same as the other mounting bolt. I was worried that even with the factory tank that nut could possibly rub, not sure why Torklift did it this way but I have traveled many miles and no issues with this modification.
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW
2014 Montana Mountaineer 331 RLT
2016 Lance 850

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
I put a 62 gallon Titan on my GMC. I had to cut off the part of the bolt that protruded through the nut on the front tie down, to clear the tank.
Mark

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered another VP Racing 5 gallon jug from Amazon today. They have a screw on vent and pour well. Two of these jugs will get me 100 miles down the road.
Forgot how much they cost, $30? Versus $1500 for a Titan aux tank.
I'm putting this issue to rest.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Pump suction will not help when you have fuel on other side of the tank. Had a situation with Bounder MH, who had 120 gallons tank motorhome width. It did have a piece of 3" pipe going about 6" down where the fuel tube was, what would give you few seconds of fuel with tank sloshing on terrain, but when I pulled over on graded shoulder with low fuel - it took 15 gallons for the fuel to cover pickup tube.
5 gallons can gives you "mental reserve".
Not too many drivers have nerves to drive 50 miles with reserve light on, but having spare can they will do so.
I always test each vehicle how far you can go on reserve. Resetting trip meter at each fill up will allow me to see when I really need to fill and that not only save me time wasted when you fill with 1/3 of the tank, but combined with reading gasbuddy, save me from paying high prices.
Bad part about US gas cans of last decade is that they have very unreliable valves on them. Hard to use the can without a spill.
I bought cans in Canada few years back, who work for me much better. Still when I plan to use them, I carry big funnel for faster transfer.
Good luck with your set.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
The Titan is advertised as having a sump for the pump suction.
I'm carrying a 5 gallon jug now. Haven't had to use it, yet.
I'm thinking the Titan benefit vs. cost isn't much.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
All that expense and hassle for 20 gallons gain, who might not be usable when truck will tilt under trailer weight?
4 gas cans will give you the same gain without the expense.
Or I would think about putting tank in 5-er front storage and use electric fuel pump.