cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Trailers for Tall Adults and Tall Kids?

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
We’re trying to get back in the travel trailer game, and it’s just not working out. My wife and I need a queen with 80” length, or a clear walkway at the end of the bed. I’m 6’-5” and need the length or room.
My son is a big boy at 6’-4”, and my daughter is 6’-0”. No bunks seem to fit, and although laying crosswise on a 74” bunk may help, they all seem to have the ceiling or bed above right at your face making you feel like you’re in a coffin with no air.
Then, every trailer with a big dinette has only a useless jackknife sofa.
Does any RV manufacturer think that maybe by some chance four adults would like to camp together? Even if my kids bail in a few years, we still have friends that would like to go. Is everyone supposed to buy an F-550 and a toyhauler just to camp? Someone out there has got to have found a way without adding a tent. Any wizards out there? I’d appreciate the input.
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5–/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE
16 REPLIES 16

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, have fun with it. My kz is older, but i think it was well built. Hope yours will be the same.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replies. We looked at a K-Z Connect today, after weeks of deliberation over several brands and models. It’s 24 feet at just over 5,200 pounds. The nice thing is the bunks are 50” x 75” with almost 90” diagonally. I laid down in them and they are more than adequate. If my frame fits, my son will. He had to work, so he didn’t see it in person. We pulled the trigger, and have to wait two weeks to pick it up. Hoping they can get K-Z to allow the rear 71” rack (K-Z designed accessory) on the bumper for my grill and griddle. This model is the less-loaded SE series, which does not have the option for the rear rack, but I’m sure the frame is the same as the higher trim model. Also, looking for windows for the bunks that open. These on the trailer are solid. Just plain dumb in my book. Clip on fans may be needed to provide adequate ventilation into the “vaults”.
Thanks again for all the great replies!
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5–/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Look at toy haulers. A lot have beds that run the full width of the garage that come down from the ceiling (often two of them bunk bed style).

If the master has some room at the foot, you can easily build an extension and put in a household mattress to get length.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I have nothing to offer as far as trailer advice goes- I'm "vertically challenged" the opposite way lol. But once you do find your trailer I'm looking forward to hearing how your F150 diesel pulls it.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coachman Adrenaline 23LT, true king in front, dual true queens in the rear, 85" ceilings. Dry weight 5,800.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Kampfirekid wrote:
We’re trying to get back in the travel trailer game, and it’s just not working out. My wife and I need a queen with 80” length, or a clear walkway at the end of the bed. I’m 6’-5” and need the length or room.
My son is a big boy at 6’-4”, and my daughter is 6’-0”. No bunks seem to fit, and although laying crosswise on a 74” bunk may help, they all seem to have the ceiling or bed above right at your face making you feel like you’re in a coffin with no air.
Then, every trailer with a big dinette has only a useless jackknife sofa.
Does any RV manufacturer think that maybe by some chance four adults would like to camp together? Even if my kids bail in a few years, we still have friends that would like to go. Is everyone supposed to buy an F-550 and a toyhauler just to camp? Someone ou't there has got to have found a way without adding a tent. Any wizards out there? I’d appreciate the input.

you think you have trouble. Some friends that have camped with us have: Dad 6'6", Son 1 6'11" mom 6'4", several daughters over 6'5", 5th grade boy is pushing 5' 6" even cars are a problem. They use a tent, and don't come in the trailer unless they have to.

A 5th wheel is likely the only option. many have 8' or so ceilings.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
May sound crazy, but the beds in our Pop Up were bigger than our TT. My son grew from 5-2 when we bought our bunkhouse to 6-2. He now sleeps on the u-shaped dinnette as it has more room. We end up with the daughter in the bunkhouse, and 3 empty bunks.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth we have Twin Beds in our TT. I used to be 6 ft. 4 inches but must have shrunk in 81 years.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Just a bit heavy, lol. Almost 8k lbs dry.

Meh, 'tis a mere lightweight compared to some. My Creekside is about 11,000 empty.

And his Powerstroke F150 can PULL that much... Just a matter of whether if can manage the tongue weight. There's so many GVWR packages and options, that I wouldn't attempt to guess what the OP's actual payload is.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had the same issue when we were looking for our first travel trailer.
I'm 6'2" and oldest son was 6'5" at 16.

Found this KZ Spree 289KS. The upper bunks are 84" long and rated for 300lbs and the rear king bed was perfect for me.
Unfortunately they haven't built that model for some years now, but you might be able to find one.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Just a bit heavy, lol. Almost 8k lbs dry.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
ORV Timber Ridge 28BKS

80" Queen bed. Bunks are only 74" long, but the ends are open so feet can hang off. And they are 50" wide so they can sleep diagonal for extra space. Interior height is 6'-11".

Best of all, being an ORV, you get heavier axles, a superior chassis (built by Northwoods MFG aka Arctic Fox rather than Lippert), good insulation, very good carrying capacity (2,500 pounds), 80 gallons of fresh and grey water space, and this floorplan has a small garage door for bikes. Downside... It ain't light. Tongue-weight might push the limits of your F150.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you researched toy haulers?
Your comments about needing a F550 are hyperbole and detract from your post.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://youtu.be/JJtoBugsTR4
Plenty of stuff like this out there. Looks like more then enough room to sleep comfortably. Even the kids will sleep diagonal but will have enough room. I think standing head room is more important, and a skylight in the shower or you will not fit. Im 6'6, lol. Or look for a newer bunkhouse with a king bed. You could also go lighter , i have an expandable with a rear king slide. The front bunkhouse lower bed is good , but you would beed to lower, modify the top bunk to lower ot for sleeping room. You loose the ability to carry bikes etc inside that way , but you will confterbly fit the 2 kids and 2 adults.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.