Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wind noise E-450

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Rig - 2017 Winnebago (not so) Minnie Winnie 31K on 2016 E-450 chassis

I have had my above rig for over two years now and love it, but man there sure is a lot of wind noise up in the cab. Has anyone figured out how to quiet it down?

Thanks!
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
13 REPLIES 13

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
clotus wrote:
Great info. Add this to the list if things to do. Thanks!

Looking at a pic of a 31K. it appears to me as if you have enough space from that rear arm to the rear edge to install the tabs.

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Great info. Add this to the list if things to do. Thanks!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
wolfe10 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

The noise level dropped greatly after I added Air Tabs. They did little for the mileage. Handling was improved. Before air tabs I had to shout--after air tabs ordinary conversation levels were possible.

Familiar with air tabs at the rear of a coach.

Can you describe exactly where you placed them up front?

I did not put them up front. I did put them on the rear edge of the air conditioner shroud and the rain hood for the fridge chimney. The rest were installed as the maker recommends--at the rear of the RV.

So far, only one has flown away--and that was from the fridge chimney.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
When adding AT's to the rear of any rv, you have to take into consideration your awning arms. There is no point adding AT's between a vertical arm located and the rear of a coach because the arm is blocking airflow to the tabs. It might be useful if they were installed ahead of the arm. Im really not sure and when I called AT to ask, they really were not sure either but suggested in front of the arm.

That's a good pic Ron, thank you.

ronfisherman
Here is a picture of airtabs on my MH.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 and clotus ,
"Can you describe exactly where you placed them up front? "

this is a TC thread, the 'bjbear' post shows the best location pic. scroll down 3/4 thru it . When I try these AT's , I would place them on my class C in the same spot as the TC cabover.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27017146/print/true.cfm

just wanted to add 'sleepys' pics and build process of his cabover tabs. Chet's Airfoil
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17575645.cfm

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
clotus wrote:
Can you send a pic of the air tabs, where you got them, and how hard the install was. I am very interested!

I would think many others are very interested too. Please do a follow up report .

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

The noise level dropped greatly after I added Air Tabs. They did little for the mileage. Handling was improved. Before air tabs I had to shout--after air tabs ordinary conversation levels were possible.

A picture would be even nicer,I have them on the rear,and a lot left over.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

ronfisherman
I put Airtabs on my MH. Worked very well at rear and under cab over.
Putting them on the cab over took away a lot of noise from trapped between cab over and chassis cab.
The ones I added to rear sides helped stability when getting passed on the highway.
Did not see any fuel economy savings.
Here is a old thread on the subject.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Can you send a pic of the air tabs, where you got them, and how hard the install was. I am very interested!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember. You're pushing a sheet of plywood, vertically, down the road. No way around wind noise.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY