Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C vs Trailer for Cross country with family? Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Class C vs Trailer for Cross country with family? Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
JakeCCP

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/20 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip from Upstate New York to Glacier National Park and Yellowstone for the family(Me, Wife, 16, 14 & 10 kids). Looking at going summer 2021 for 2-3 weeks. Will be driving 3 days out and back to max time spent at parks. Don't want to have to stay at hotels so will be staying in RV at rest stops. If trailering, will be driving a Ford 350 diesel quad cab long box. Will be renting a car once at park if we take a Motorhome. I am torn between the Class C and the trailer. Seems like there are equal pros and cons for each option. Would love some others thoughts and suggestions. Thanks

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/20 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The motorhome is undoubtedly more conveinent for the actual traveling part; you have more ready access to snacks, the potty, travel activities, etc. There's also just generally a little more elbow room for the passengers.

I'd really suggest staying the overnights at some sort of campground, rather than planning on using rest areas. The nights will be more restful when you don't have trucks coming and going and idling next to you, and you'll have access to hookups and/or a showerhouse, and some space to stretch the legs and maybe a swiming pool. Many states also have time restrictions on how long you can stay at a rest area (which are not always enforced), meaning that to be technically in the right you may be obligated to move halfway through the night. If it were me, I'd also probably plan an additional travel day, but of course you know your limits and what your family is comfortable with far better than I do.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 03:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are going to get a lot of ideas for folks. All will be good, but remember the finial is up to you.
My thoughts, you are planning far enough in advance to start looking. New or used, TT or 5th wheel, size of Class C.

I would take your family while looking sit in each unit and see how things go. Moving around in the unit, cooking etc. I always want to see what I can get to when the slide are in. Its important to me to have access to the bathroom, frig. and mic when slides are in.

With a family the size and age I would be looking at a 5th wheel toy hauler type model. I think a C would be to small for your needs. Have fun looking!

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's not a vacation. That's an endurance run. 2100 miles in 3 days with three kids in a "C"?

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think traveling in a C will be much more comfortable, but when it comes to camping, the trailer will probably be more comfortable. In a class C, you either need a bunkhouse or you'll be converting the couch and/or dinette so everyone can comfortably sleep.

We had a bunkhouse C and it was great when the kids were young, but once they hit their teen years and started growing, they out grew the narrow bunks. They complained that if they moved around, they'd usually hit the wall or the blinds on the window.

Something like Jayco's 28BHBE, 26BH or the 26BHS with its Double Bed bunks would probably be a lot more comfortable. Other manufacturers also make models with double bed bunks, so you aren't limited to just Jayco.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

JakeCCP

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate all the input so far. How is it to travel with a family in a class C? Is it comfortable to sit behind a table with your seatbelt on for hours or sit sideways in a couch or is the cab of a truck better? Can you walk around while in motion? Use the microwave? I can rent a unit like the Forester LE 325 DLSE

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class-c-motorhomes/forester-le/3251DSLE/4427

or Forester LE 325

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class-c-motorhomes/forester-le/2851SLE/4426

for 2K a week from a local RV place. Will that be comfortable for 3-4 days of driving. We are actually going to look at them this morning. Drive it around the parking lot.

Will a 5th wheel be more comfortable than a TT for 3 weeks? I know they pull better. The local RV place doesn't rent 5th wheels.

Thanks again.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No you are not. There is no way you can do it in three days and no way you will be staying at rest stops.
Why are you even bothering to go? Obviously you have no grasp of what is to be seen and experienced.

If you insist on doing this insane act, do it in a class c so you can swap drivers and run it 24 hours a day. He;; you might even be able to set a land speed record.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Will be driving 3 days out and back to max time spent...”

Six full days of nothing but driving may permanently make your kids hate driving vacations, camping and all things associated with this trip. Heck, I don’t want to go with you!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jake,

I fear that you have a recipe for disappointment.

According to my old copy of Street Atlas, a running time between The Strong Museum in Rochester and Fishing Bridge in YNP is 44 road hours at RV speeds. This does not include any breaks. It is 2,000 miles. You will not be able to travel at passcar speeds.

We have done it all.
The advantage of a trailer is more comfort when stopped for the night. You pay for that with less comfortable and less convenience underway.
The advantage of a motorhome is more convenience and comfort underway, things like with the Bonzi run you outlined, you can sleep the off watch. You will pay for it at the destination.

At this time, I will suggest that you get out the guide books and work on a different plan. I don't know what that plan will be, but you still have time to work on it. Not being able to cross through Canada will be a significant impediment.

Let us know what the new plan is and maybe we can help.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could you do the parks in different years? Say do Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons this year and Glacier next year. We have gone to both several times, and either are worth the time.
A bonus is you can actually slow down and see things along the way. The kids will most likely enjoy that more, at lest mine would have.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Class C vs Trailer for Cross country with family? Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.