Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C vs Trailer for Cross country with family? Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Class C vs Trailer for Cross country with family? Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Id go big 5th wheel over C. You already have the truck, why buy another powertrain to handle. You need to add more time. also do everyone a favor and stop at KOA type campgrounds on the way to and from, rest stops suck, especially with a family.

if you are looking at renting, why not fly out and rent local?

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JakeCCP wrote:

I appreciate all the input so far. How is it to travel with a family in a class C? Is it comfortable to sit behind a table with your seatbelt on for hours or sit sideways in a couch or is the cab of a truck better? Can you walk around while in motion? Use the microwave?

It's certainly possible, in a physical sense, to walk around a class C motorhome while on the road. It isn't the safest thing to do, of course; a sudden stop or swerve can easily lead to a very nasty injury. Still, many people do decide to move around as needed to switch places, get a drink out of the fridge, use the bathroom, that sort of thing. (Obviously, not the driver!) Other people are not willing to do that. State laws vary a little on seat belt use requirements in motorhomes, for what that's worth; it isn't always the same rules as for passenger cars.

Some people find that sitting sideways or facing rearwards tends to induce motion sickness. For most, it's not really a problem.

The microwave could be used en route by running the generator. There is the risk of spillage, both in the microwave and when removing the hot items from it after they've been nuked. I think it wisest to stop before using the microwave, or indeed for most sorts of cooking. A crock pot safely stowed (maybe in the sink) may be an exception, as well as some things baked in the oven that won't create messy spills.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yellowstone was the first trip we made with our 5th wheel. Of course from WA it is much closer. Did it with 2 7 year old's and the hardest part was all the driving. Yellowstone is not a walking park, it is a driving park. So, one thing for sure, if your kids are not OK crammed in the back seat together, they will be even less OK after days and days of sitting in the back seat.

But, some points. We actually booked our camp spots inside the park about 4 months before the trip, even before we bought the RV. Yellowstone books up as soon as the sites open to book, so book now if you can. We ended up going over the 4th of July because it was the only days we could get a spot. Imagine taking 7 year old boys to Yellowstone on the 4th - that was their year without fireworks... I guess they will always remember the trip...

We ended up buying a used 5th wheel, bunk house. That was the best, the kids can be in the bunk area playing, watching TV, whatever and the wife and I can enjoy time on the couch, etc. 2 bedrooms is the best with kids. I watched all kinds of people with motor homes try to navigate Yellowstone, set up camp in the evening, sleep, wake up, tear down camp and go travel the day to whatever, then come back and do it all over again. I know you said, rent a car when you get there, but to the best of my knowledge there is not a place in the park to rent. So, you have to go to Cody, Bozemen, somewhere to get a car. Have you booked it already? Something you probably need to book a year in advance, or 9 months or something.

Since you have the truck, the trailer makes more sense to me. Unless you plan to rent or buy a large class A, I think you will find the class C very small with 3 kids. If they were 5 years younger or something, probably not as bad. As a kid we did Yellowstone and stayed in the cabins. It was great, although I hear that the cabins are very old now and not in great shape. But might be easier given the trip you want to take.

I think you said the rental is expensive for 3 weeks. You might be able to buy a great used 5th wheel for a little more money then have it for a few years. You have the truck, so a toy hauler or large bunk house could be very reasonable given your looking at something about 10 years old. You might be surprised, the one we found looks new for the most part and was supper clean. Most people only use their RV's a few weekends a year, maybe 5? So, if they were clean people that took care of their stuff, then it should be in great shape. Don't buy one that someone lived in or full timed in and it should be hardly worn.

Good Luck

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

That's not a vacation. That's an endurance run. 2100 miles in 3 days with three kids in a "C"?

Typical old person opinion....think back however long you need to and re analyze your statement.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

No you are not. There is no way you can do it in three days and no way you will be staying at rest stops.
Why are you even bothering to go? Obviously you have no grasp of what is to be seen and experienced.

If you insist on doing this insane act, do it in a class c so you can swap drivers and run it 24 hours a day. He;; you might even be able to set a land speed record.

Pipe down skippy. Go take some geritol and contribute to another thread instead please. Your response is borderline demeaning.
OP, unlike the AARP group, when we travel, we drive to get where we’re going. Not to stop at 3pm and sip ice tea while taking a week to get from point A to point B.
I also wouldn’t suggest rest areas. Plenty of other spots to wallydock. Sally worlds, cabelas, old county buffets and a plethora of city and county parks that are cheap and quiet for a quick sleep.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, I presumed you had both rigs and were trying to decide which.
But you have neither? If so, then IMO the TT is the FAR more economical option. Whether you rent or buy a trailer, it’s cheaper than a C by a long shot and anything you get is hook n go behind a F350. No special setups or expenses there.
Kids would vote C all day long and twice on Sunday. It’s a nice option but factor in renting cars a couple times as you wish to, it is even more expensive.
Trip there n back, flip a coin. I don’t mind towing. Some do, but if you don’t then no issue there.
If you only have a couple/few main destinations and will drop the camper for days at a time, then the TT makes sense to me. If you will be moving locations every day or 2 then the C is easier to pick up and move.

Good luck, great trip planned! We did similar a couple years ago with the kids. 3 weeks, MT fishing, Yellowstone, Rushmore, a week back home in WI and back to WA. Seemed relaxing enough to me.... 1900 mi home = 2 long days drive. No biggie.

TheBar

MS

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 people in a truck on a long trip will make memories but not the right kind. One parent will need to sit between the 2 kids in the back seat to maintain the peace with the 3rd kid in the front. Versus a Class C where everyone can have their own space. Also if you are not skilled in backing a trailer you may be in big trouble in a tight spot. A smaller Class C might be maneuverable enough you won't need to rent a car.

Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C
DW loves it more than I do

JakeCCP

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you are all right. The drive will be alot. I may have overestimated the time. Matt, I believe made mention of that. Being in an RV or even pulling a TT vs car speed is different. Google maps has the drive from ALbany, NY to Columbia Falls, Montana at 36 hours. We have a family of hikers and tenters and want to get to the parks to do some hiking. We have all agreed to this. We've done Albany to Florida straight on several occasions. On the way back from Yellowstone we will stop and see Mt. Rushmore. We have friends in Toledo we will be staying with. I haven't spent alot of time looking at things to do on the way out. I will. I'm just trying to figure out what vehicle is best. I'm really torn... Thanks all.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt there is a definitive answer. RVing with 5 is tough. A MH owner once said "I don't care how big a MH is, it's really just for 2". Sleeping might be the easiest part. It's meals and being all in during bad weather, etc. But no doubt you're determined to make it work. We've had pop-up, trailer, small 5th wheel and now a 30 ft. MH towing a small hatchback. I prefer the MH and having the car to run around in. We have a queen bed and would sleep 3 kids. Not saying easily.

Jayco-noslide

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't think anyone has mentioned it. If you go with the Class C, are you going to pull a toad? If not, you'll have to to break down every time you leave the campsite. You could rent a car for driving around.
Personally we're not fans of Motorhomes. We would always prefer a towable.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Class C vs Trailer for Cross country with family? Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.