cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Timing in Canadian Winter if the Border is still CLOSED

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone on here a full timer that's figured out how they will full time in Canada this winter, considering not all rigs do well in below freezing temperatures for extended periods. Plugged in with tank heaters, and space heaters? Head west to the coast for somewhat warmer temps? Both?

I mention it because the US/CAN border may still be closed.
If it's opened before November, the point becomes more moot, as most would probably return to following the warmer weather as it moves southwards.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)
10 REPLIES 10

hinterland
Explorer
Explorer
We have an RV lot in the West Kootenays, but are choosing to remain in North Central Alberta, close to Edmonton for this winter. We've spent 5 years living in our rig, all year round in Canada. But this year will be more of a challenge. We actually have a youtube channel showing the different ways we've dealt with the Canadian Winters. Heaters, Window Plastic, Skirting, etc. Hope you find it helpful. Winter RV Life in Canada - Full Time

MDKMDK wrote:
Anyone on here a full timer that's figured out how they will full time in Canada this winter, considering not all rigs do well in below freezing temperatures for extended periods. Plugged in with tank heaters, and space heaters? Head west to the coast for somewhat warmer temps? Both?

I mention it because the US/CAN border may still be closed.
If it's opened before November, the point becomes more moot, as most would probably return to following the warmer weather as it moves southwards.
It Just Doesn't Matter Who Owns the Grass Outside our Window!
OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL

hinterland
Explorer
Explorer
We are spending this winter in Alberta....brrrr.....we just bought custom skirting for our latest rig. Big expense. On our last unit, we also had custom skirting and the one before that. We sold it with our last unit, so we had to start again. It's costly but convenient, as we are full time but still travel. So in the winter we put it on and in the spring, we store it. This is a short video showing all kinds of skirting, from tarps to OSB to rigid foam to custom. Hope that someone gets some useful information from this. https://youtu.be/vfv9JRUn88Q
It Just Doesn't Matter Who Owns the Grass Outside our Window!
OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Get an apartment or get your reservation in now for a spot in SW BC.
Seems like the 2 most appropriate options to me.
Full timing in real winter weather is an effort in futility and a desperate move.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking that BC will be overflowing with Snowbirds this winter. Hubby and I were just saying if we didn't have our home base to come back to we'd for sure be renting something. If SARS took 2 years and the Spanish Flu 3 years, we aren't speculating but how long this could last might be longer than one winter.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
We wintered in north central BC last winter where the coldest temp was -20C, or about -4F. Our Wilderness was very good down to -12C or so, but we used lots of propane along with a couple of cube heaters to maintain a comfortable temp. In spite of having a heated water hose, the connection froze just inside the wall of the trailer, but we had filled our onboard tank a few days before, and with heated underbelly, we had no problems.

For a little added protection from the cold, we used skirting and had a 500 watt work light set up which made a big difference in temperature control inside and kept the dump valves from freezing. They are insulated, but you can never have enough insurance.

We kept our grey/black dump valves closed until the tanks were full and dumped as necessary. Never had a problem with discharge hose freezing which could happen if the grey was left open.

I would recommend to anyone who is going to full time in cold weather to invest in a dehumidifier for sure. Keeps the windows clear and helps prevent mildew. Oh and make sure the RV is water tight. Freeze/thaw can do lots of damage.

We have not decided yet whether or not we will winter in our home, or on central Vancouver Island in the RV. Time will tell.

MORLEY is right in that the south coast of BC is fairly temperate. Victoria has the warmest average winter temperatures in Canada, I think, but please don't tell anyone.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Based on what the ‘smart people’ are saying, what we’ve seen so far will pale in comparison with what’s still to come.

Anyone who plans on spending this coming winter anywhere other than home needs to fins a place to rent soon, like yesterday.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Our backup plan if we aren't allowed out of Michigan is to get an apartment for the winter.

We've been down to -5F in the RV and you can survive but it's not fun.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

morley
Explorer
Explorer
Some people try Nanaimo or other spots on Vancouver Island, ferry ride over is quite pricey but what isn’t these days. Weather on a normal year is pretty respectable on the southern part of the island.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
not in that position but id be looking for a cheap apartment month to month and winterizing the trailer
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I hope not but best to be prepared...ready.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad