cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying RV that's been stored

rhudson1111
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! So I'm looking at a 2001 National motorhome that the seller has had in storage for 1 year. Will I run into potential problems that I'd be less likely to have purchasing something not stored? I need a road-worthy rig at the time of purchase, so wonder after you let your motorhome sit for a year, can you just jump in and start it up? Would the natteries be dead like my car? Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
Another suggestion. Change the fuel filters. Not just the fuel/water separator but the fuel filter up stream of the Separator. Sometimes bad things happen to fuel sitting for a year or more.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our Newmar was stored for 9 years, under went a year of wake up, 6 tires, and some hoses, we now have run it 10 years, with normal repairs.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check everything like you would any used RV. But also check for rodent damage.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm assuming you know how to check the date codes on the tires. They've been sitting a year or more depending on the veracity of the seller. Like any salesman, they tend to exaggerate. I don't even look at the tire except for the date code. Sitting for at least a year most likely took 2 years off their life span. Figure at least $500 per tire to replace. It will need an oil change and lube. Most likely you'll also want to flush and change the coolant. Inspect for rodent damage as that will present many electrical issues later on. Also check your engine belts for dry rot. The location of where it was stored is important also. A coach sitting in the hot desert sun of Arizona will have different issues than one that has been sitting in the cold and snow of Michigan. Take a paper and pen and go over the coach closely, then take it on a test drive. Remember rust is not a friend of your braking system so use caution there. On the test drive plan on at least 50 miles so there will be no surprises. Driving it around the block is worthless. See how it handles on the freeway...good luck...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t forget the tires if there 6yrs old they gotta go no matter how good they look rubber rots from the day the tire was made.

rhudson1111
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha and thanks everyone. I'm unsure about the method of storage until I get there tomorrow. Seller did state, "runs great", so I assume it's at least been started. I'll verify all of this and will also have a detailed pre-purchase inspection before buying. Thanks! I hope to find something soon and hit the road. 🙂

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to get the same basic answers for the 2001 National as you did for the 1991 Fleetwood Southwind and the 1986 Pace Arrow in your previous posts.
Any motorhome needs to be thoroughly inspected prior to purchase. If you can't do it yourself hire a mechanic and RV tech.

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Stored or not, doesn't matter. Your job is to check out everything before purchase. If you like it and it's a good deal, then complete the purchase.

I recently purchased a 30 year old car with 77k miles. It had been stored the last 10 years and only driven 2100 miles during that 10 year period. The short story, everything worked well and I've driven it 3000 miles in four months. Interesting though, the more I drove it the better it ran.

Just understand it's 20 years old. Expect to repair something.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
All RV are stored, don't know of anyone who keeps them on the road 24/7 and like all have stated, needs to be inspected. 20 year old vehicles are at the point of needing major repair/parts.

Bruce_Brown
rgatijnet1 wrote:
If properly stored a year of not being used is not a big deal. You don't give much information as to whether or not the unit was plugged in while stored or whether or not it was under cover. Rodent damage can happen even in coaches that are lived in full time as well as roof leaks. Only a thorough inspection can answer your question.

This, 100%.

In an earlier thread about how long diesel fuel lasts there were many examples of MHs, tractors, and other heavy equipment sitting for long periods of with no issues. One of those examples was me with my farm tractors that get used in the Spring then get parked until the following Spring - and they just sit under a shed roof in the off season.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OH my, in storage for a year and it’s fallen apart. Check fluids and tire pressures and take it for a test drive.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
X2 I,d hire a mobil rv tech to inspect the rv, look one up on the net in your area. if stored right. and inspection comes back ok. I,d buy one. now if its been outside in the weather just parked and forgotten about NO.

Probably also want a mobile mechanic to check out the drivetrain and do a compression check. A dead motor, likely makes the MH worthless.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 I,d hire a mobil rv tech to inspect the rv, look one up on the net in your area. if stored right. and inspection comes back ok. I,d buy one. now if its been outside in the weather just parked and forgotten about NO.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If properly stored a year of not being used is not a big deal. You don't give much information as to whether or not the unit was plugged in while stored or whether or not it was under cover. Rodent damage can happen even in coaches that are lived in full time as well as roof leaks. Only a thorough inspection can answer your question.