Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: is weldwood contact adhesive strong enough?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> is weldwood contact adhesive strong enough?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 03:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question for those more experienced with Weldwood contact adhesive.

I'm in the process of redoing the interior of the one piece fiberglass shell that makes up the snap-n-nap on my amerigo tc-11 and need to install some wood to the interior edges so that I can anchor the RV wall board over the new insulation.

Normally I would just apply 3m 5200 and screw it in place, but because there's no frame, and the angle at which its going in, this isn't practical.

My thoughts instead were to apply weldwood contact adhesive to the fiberglass and wood so I can just press the piece in place, but I am wondering if this will be strong enough or will it lose the battle with gravity after awhile?

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weldwood is pretty good stuff but I would be hesitant to use it in the vertical were it could be exposed to big temperature change and heat from the sun . How about fiber glassing the filler boards to the shell . That's what they do on boats and truck caps for stiffeners , and they won't rot .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

chast

Marlton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weldwood is pretty good stuff and, from experience, I would say you have a 50/50 chance of success in using it. I built a Florida room for a friend who lives full time in Florida and had the same problem. I used Weldwood in putting up some of the moldings and, 10 years later, most of them stayed in place. I believe the ones that needed to be re-done were due to applicator error.

[email protected]

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Changes in formulation may have occurred over time.
Former high VOC materials have been modified to water based products, which often are not as good.

Materials used ten years ago may not be the same materials available to you now.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

Weldwood is pretty good stuff but I would be hesitant to use it in the vertical were it could be exposed to big temperature change and heat from the sun . How about fiber glassing the filler boards to the shell . That's what they do on boats and truck caps for stiffeners , and they won't rot .
Fiberglass cloth and resin is what I would use as well.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

ticki2 wrote:

I was thinking this too. Setup a support brace to hold the work in place.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

ticki2 wrote:

Yeah, this was my concern, glassing them into place isn't really doable due to it being an overhead job, as gravity tends to cause it to run off, so we'll likely need to brace them in with 5200.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being on an Island you must have some decent size boat shops . Talk to their glass man , there are a lot of tricks to the trade .

* This post was edited 07/04/20 08:17pm by ticki2 *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not test a couple different adhesives?
Contact cement, construction adhesive, epoxies, gorilla glue.
If you can clamp it, gorilla glue may win.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Joe,

Titebond Construction adhesive is really good stuff. Sold at Parr lumber, I know. HD does not have this good of adhesive. I reinforced my sagging cabover using the Titebond product. Has held on rough roads for two years now.

7 years after glueing 2x4's to concrete a basement wall, you couldn't get them loose as they were splitting apart to get them off. It good stuff, but you need to place the pieces together right away and apply pressure. The stuff really works.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> is weldwood contact adhesive strong enough?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.