Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Concrete driveway thickness??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Concrete driveway thickness??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
supercub

Modesto CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to park my motor home on a driveway that I believe is about 3 inches thick of concrete. I have a diesel pusher that weighs about 29,000. The greatest single tire bearing weight is 5500 lbs. Obviously I don't want to cause any damage in the way of cracks or other damage. To be on the safe side I think it would be best to keep my jacks up too. What do you think, would it be safe?

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Concrete highways are normally 4 inches thick to stand up to truck traffic. Call some contractors and ask them. You might be right on the margin of safety.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is from Concrete.org: As for thickness, non-reinforced pavement four inches thick is standard for passenger car driveways. For heavier vehicles, a thickness of five inches is recommended. To eliminate standing water, the driveway should be sloped towards the street a minimum of one percent, or 1/8 inch per foot, for proper drainage.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Ed C

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not a permanent fix but a 4 x 4' piece of 3/4" plywood under each wheel set would distribute the weight.

Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

bjbear

Cold Lake, AB, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B is correct. A typical driveway should be 4-inches. However, just as important is the strength of the concrete used AND how the base supporting it was built and compacted. The fact that whoever built the driveway skimped by only using 3 inches, might make one suspicious that they could have gone cheap in both the concrete (lower strength) and the base. Personally, I would not park a DP on it unless I got the opinion of a professional engineer first.

2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

supercub wrote:

I would like to park my motor home on a driveway that I believe is about 3 inches thick of concrete. I have a diesel pusher that weighs about 29,000. The greatest single tire bearing weight is 5500 lbs. Obviously I don't want to cause any damage in the way of cracks or other damage. To be on the safe side I think it would be best to keep my jacks up too. What do you think, would it be safe?

We destroyed ours after getting this 16 ton model.
Doing it over, I'd pour 6" thick with reinforcement.
As for cracks forming here and there, if you can prevent that from happening, then you'll find yourself rich, by just being a consultant to the industry.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, let's review. You have a DP and you would like to park it in your driveway. You can pay a lot of money NOW and dig the driveway up and repour it to what they think will work OR, and this is what I would recommend, use the driveway and if it fails, then redo the driveway to suit your needs. I agree about not using your jacks UNLESS you use wood cribbing to spread out the load. For all you know the driveway may be 3" thick at one edge and 6" thick in the middle. Who knows for sure.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add to that closer the pressure is the the edge of the concrete more likely to crack off.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

atsrmf

Indio

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always go with the 6 sack mix for a driveway

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2, rgat.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Concrete driveway thickness??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.