Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firman W02981- Any feedback?

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy all -

Some friends of mine here in denver are borrowing their parents 5er.

As with all novices, they are just starting out - and looking at a generator, and trying to do it on the cheap.

They were looking at an open frame generator - and I've been a good RV friend, and told them that if they got one, I wouldn't be next to them!

They started to look at Honda and Yamaha, and they are out of their price range. I know that many of us have Champions - but again, that seems to be out of their price range. They are now looking at the Firman W02981 from Costco.

Does anybody have any history with this brand and in particular this model? At least buying from Costco - if it goes south, they can return it - but in a perfect world, it's a decent brand.

Any thoughts or history would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Josh
11 REPLIES 11

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Since they want inexpensive I'd suggest the harbor freight 3500 with electric start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
jodeb720 wrote:
Howdy all -

Some friends of mine here in denver are borrowing their parents 5er.

As with all novices, they are just starting out - and looking at a generator, and trying to do it on the cheap.

They were looking at an open frame generator - and I've been a good RV friend, and told them that if they got one, I wouldn't be next to them!

They started to look at Honda and Yamaha, and they are out of their price range. I know that many of us have Champions - but again, that seems to be out of their price range. They are now looking at the Firman W02981 from Costco.

Does anybody have any history with this brand and in particular this model? At least buying from Costco - if it goes south, they can return it - but in a perfect world, it's a decent brand.

Any thoughts or history would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Josh

I have a 3300/3000 unit inverter. Looks the same as this one. Can't think there is much difference. Starts every time real easy. I make sure it gets started once every couple months to make sure the battery stay up. Everytime I use it, it works fine. Have had it for four years.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I ran a generator 24/7 for three months. A Yamaha 5500. Even on 15 cent gallon diesel it was costly because of 90 mile runs to get 200 gallons of fuel. Constant A/C is no trivial matter. I was diving the Chinchorro reef near Belice.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Very few campers ever run air with a generator, although many talk about it.
An interesting statement. I wonder on what facts you base this statement.
Years of dry camping in hot weather. I'm usually the only one running air.

I'm talking about portable gens, not Class A's et al, although it's not real common with them either. Takes a lot of gas and you have to be near a supply of gas, and/or carry a lot of gas.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

An interesting statement. I wonder on what facts you base this statement.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
@OpenSpaces,

We had this talk. I explained what they can - and can't run with a generator. Right now, it's just AC - and they are going camping in lower elevations (not CA) - which is where they need the AC.

If possible, they'll find full hookups, but for some of the places they've talked about going, they are looking for some AC

@TUCQUALA - thanks for the feedback - that's what I was looking for. It's at a price point that makes financial sense - and gives them something they can't get with a 2000watt unit.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If they are considering an open frame generator for RV camping, they need all the help you can provide.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
First question they need to answer for themselves is what do they expect to run with the generator?

It's only going to be in the low 80's during the day and 60's at night for the next week in Los Angeles. If they really want to run the AC I would suggest a hookup campground which would be cheaper than the cost of a generator.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Very good genny, have had one for aboot a year and half. Slight use, solar has been great, but runs AC when necc, and actually pretty quiet. I would say a bit less noise than our 2K Champion when running under a load. Good buy!! Firman has been very helpful with questions (no problems!!) and will send high altitude jet kits if requested.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
These posts have Firman in them.

As novices they're starting out by dry camping?