cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts on slider awnings

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I am about a week away of taking home my first Fifth wheel with 4 slides. It does not come with awnings over the slides, but I noticed it is prepped for them with the bracket holders on the slide and the track on the wall.

Other than keeping rain off the top of the slide, what other purpose do they serve and are they worth the added cost of ~$350 per slide to install.
13 REPLIES 13

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to add them next year, when the cash is available. Will be fun to have the kids stand to either side of the big slide and have them look up and watch to make sure the awning is rolling, but only after a big rain.

I already tease the wife enough as it is, kids are more fun to trick too.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have had toppers on all our trailers from 1997 to the present and would not be without them. They help keep the top clean from debris as already mentioned and also keep rain and "other" dropping stuff off the top of the slide.

To clean the slide top itself, about once per year I will use a ladder and run my wash brush over the top to get the dust or anything else off of it. I also use my wash brush with one end wrapped with a rag to apply any seal treatment when I feel the need (not often!);)

Since everything rolls off the topper as you bring in the slide, we have never had to climb any type of ladder to clean it off. If necessary I sometimes stand in front of the slide with a broom and broom the roller as the awning rolls up. This removes any stubborn leaves etc.

The reason the poster mentioned in jest to have the wife stand beside the awning is because as the awning rolls up, any water standing on top will pour off the side of the topper. Which side kind of depends on the tilt of the trailer front to back. If perfectly level, then it will pour off both sides. I doesn't pour off the front because of the slight rise as the awning rolls over the roller. Wife will get an unexpected shower if she stands on the side.

Basically, in my opinion a slide should have a topper, and they are relatively maintenance free and trouble free while giving a lot of protection.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I think they are a must have. Leaves and stuff fall off when you close the slide you don't need to climb up and clean them off.

Great advice. We had a travel trailer without the awnings and leaves , snow and trash that would land on the slideout would then be brought into the trailer when the slide was retracted. We finally bought an awning for it and it was wonderful. I'll never again have a slide without an awning over it.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it depends.

We had slide toppers on our previous 2 trailers and had a time with wasp nests and mildew in places we couldn't reach and the upper seals dry rotted because I couldn't treat them.
We had Colorado brand and they never failed.

Our latest trailer doesn't have toppers and can't say I miss them.
I must admit though that I'm quite anal about cleaning the roof and slides monthly and applying 303 on the seals.

Was actually surprised at the amount of buildup that accumulates under the toppers over time.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Johno02 wrote:
After a rain, have DW stand beside the slide to watch and make sure it rolls up properly.

Did you mean to have your wife stand in FRONT of the slide to see if water comes off? ๐Ÿ™‚

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We wouldn't be without them, but one important thing to remember ONE time. After a rain, have DW stand beside the slide to watch and make sure it rolls up properly. If there is much water on top, you will not need to do it more than once. Make sure you have the door locked from the inside first.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing many missed is reduced cooling needs, keeping direct sun off a slide roof greatly reduces heat gain.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I had a thin sheet of ice roll off mine when I brought my slide in at Yellowstone. The water from the ice would have ended up inside the trailer had I not had the toppers. If the $350 includes the cost of the topper, then not so bad. If it is an installation fee per slide then it is outrageous. Two men and two ladders could install all four in less than two hours especially since the upper extrusion is already installed. There would be a learning period on the first topper then the others will go up real quick.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Good points, something I now have to add to my breaking camp list. Glad I asked, didn't even think of the leaves dropping up there and breaking seals.

Thanks, will add to my list of upgrades. I found hardware kits, and fabric rolls, and can pretty much make my own for far less than what the full kits cost, so thats a plus.

Thanks

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Rain, leaves, bird poop, pine needles, snow.

We wouldn't be without them.

Seriously, I'm not about to try to climb up there somehow to remove leaves or rainwater before I run the slides in.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
They are great when new no need to brush off slides if your under trees with pine needles, pine cones , leafs or acorns however when they get older and stretched out they tend to flap in the wind and become annoying especially on a bedroom slide out . We currently have them because our unit came with them , they do make life easier, used to carry a ladder and brush to clean off all four slide on our last fifth wheel which did not have slide toppers. Now window awnings are very useful keeping the sun off the windows and helping keep cool as well as opening windows in the rain, we donโ€™t have them but someday maybe.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a fan of slidetoppers.
Way cheaper to have them installed at the factory.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I think they are a must have. Leaves and stuff fall off when you close the slide you don't need to climb up and clean them off.