Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Thoughts on slider awnings
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Thoughts on slider awnings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Acdii

Capron

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am about a week away of taking home my first Fifth wheel with 4 slides. It does not come with awnings over the slides, but I noticed it is prepped for them with the bracket holders on the slide and the track on the wall.

Other than keeping rain off the top of the slide, what other purpose do they serve and are they worth the added cost of ~$350 per slide to install.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think they are a must have. Leaves and stuff fall off when you close the slide you don't need to climb up and clean them off.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a fan of slidetoppers.
Way cheaper to have them installed at the factory.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are great when new no need to brush off slides if your under trees with pine needles, pine cones , leafs or acorns however when they get older and stretched out they tend to flap in the wind and become annoying especially on a bedroom slide out . We currently have them because our unit came with them , they do make life easier, used to carry a ladder and brush to clean off all four slide on our last fifth wheel which did not have slide toppers. Now window awnings are very useful keeping the sun off the windows and helping keep cool as well as opening windows in the rain, we don’t have them but someday maybe.

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rain, leaves, bird poop, pine needles, snow.

We wouldn't be without them.

Seriously, I'm not about to try to climb up there somehow to remove leaves or rainwater before I run the slides in.

A

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Acdii

Capron

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good points, something I now have to add to my breaking camp list. Glad I asked, didn't even think of the leaves dropping up there and breaking seals.

Thanks, will add to my list of upgrades. I found hardware kits, and fabric rolls, and can pretty much make my own for far less than what the full kits cost, so thats a plus.

Thanks

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a thin sheet of ice roll off mine when I brought my slide in at Yellowstone. The water from the ice would have ended up inside the trailer had I not had the toppers. If the $350 includes the cost of the topper, then not so bad. If it is an installation fee per slide then it is outrageous. Two men and two ladders could install all four in less than two hours especially since the upper extrusion is already installed. There would be a learning period on the first topper then the others will go up real quick.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing many missed is reduced cooling needs, keeping direct sun off a slide roof greatly reduces heat gain.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We wouldn't be without them, but one important thing to remember ONE time. After a rain, have DW stand beside the slide to watch and make sure it rolls up properly. If there is much water on top, you will not need to do it more than once. Make sure you have the door locked from the inside first.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

After a rain, have DW stand beside the slide to watch and make sure it rolls up properly.

Did you mean to have your wife stand in FRONT of the slide to see if water comes off? [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Thoughts on slider awnings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.