Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Thoughts on slider awnings
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Thoughts on slider awnings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess it depends.

We had slide toppers on our previous 2 trailers and had a time with wasp nests and mildew in places we couldn't reach and the upper seals dry rotted because I couldn't treat them.
We had Colorado brand and they never failed.

Our latest trailer doesn't have toppers and can't say I miss them.
I must admit though that I'm quite anal about cleaning the roof and slides monthly and applying 303 on the seals.

Was actually surprised at the amount of buildup that accumulates under the toppers over time.

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

I think they are a must have. Leaves and stuff fall off when you close the slide you don't need to climb up and clean them off.

Great advice. We had a travel trailer without the awnings and leaves , snow and trash that would land on the slideout would then be brought into the trailer when the slide was retracted. We finally bought an awning for it and it was wonderful. I'll never again have a slide without an awning over it.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had toppers on all our trailers from 1997 to the present and would not be without them. They help keep the top clean from debris as already mentioned and also keep rain and "other" dropping stuff off the top of the slide.

To clean the slide top itself, about once per year I will use a ladder and run my wash brush over the top to get the dust or anything else off of it. I also use my wash brush with one end wrapped with a rag to apply any seal treatment when I feel the need (not often!)[emoticon]

Since everything rolls off the topper as you bring in the slide, we have never had to climb any type of ladder to clean it off. If necessary I sometimes stand in front of the slide with a broom and broom the roller as the awning rolls up. This removes any stubborn leaves etc.

The reason the poster mentioned in jest to have the wife stand beside the awning is because as the awning rolls up, any water standing on top will pour off the side of the topper. Which side kind of depends on the tilt of the trailer front to back. If perfectly level, then it will pour off both sides. I doesn't pour off the front because of the slight rise as the awning rolls over the roller. Wife will get an unexpected shower if she stands on the side.

Basically, in my opinion a slide should have a topper, and they are relatively maintenance free and trouble free while giving a lot of protection.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Acdii

Capron

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan to add them next year, when the cash is available. Will be fun to have the kids stand to either side of the big slide and have them look up and watch to make sure the awning is rolling, but only after a big rain.

I already tease the wife enough as it is, kids are more fun to trick too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Thoughts on slider awnings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.