cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C Gasket

Billstigger
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering how often the gasket on an a/c unit should be checked.
I live in the mid Atlantic area, ( Maryland ). The trailer is not covered. Gasket was replaced in 2016.
5 REPLIES 5

Billstigger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
never unless there is a leak, lol.
The gasket will dry in the position and form it is in and should maintain the seal. Tightning it will deform it and could cause a leak, although the road will shake and move the AC unit, so there might be some potential for degradadition.

It is protected from UV rays also, so will not crack like the caulking on the roof and wall outer seams which you should check often, be paraniod about, and completely re-do every 2-3 years or else risk catastrophic water damage to the walls and roof.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2012 5er purchased new. Never tightened the 4 bolts for the roof A/C gasket. If it doesn't leak why tighten it? I used to have many years ago a 1988 Class A where the gasket leaked. It was tightened and the leaks stopped for a bit. It is possible the more you tighten, the gasket looses its ability to do its job. If it is leaking, I would not tighten it more than 1/4 turn at a time.

Billstigger
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. Sounds like good advise.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I think I checked mine once in the last 15 years. Since yours was replaced a few years ago I would probably check it once. Make sure that visually the gasket is only compressed about half way down. Use your fingers and see if the four bolts are tight. If everything seems tight I would put a socket on it and tighten an additional 1/8 to 1/4 turn and no more. Then put it all back together and don't think about it for at least 10 years.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup