cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire trucks

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
Truck tires need to be replaced. Any recommendations? Should I consider any special features to consider when towing 22 foot trailer?
10 REPLIES 10

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll 2nd Michelin Defender Load Range E

Made a huge difference on my F150, pulling a small 192 RBS. Trucks doing 70 mph or higher would push and pull the F150. Now, it's nothing.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Since OP wonโ€™t tell us what surfaces he drives on, how much weight he carries and pulls, his level of road noise tolerance or even specific truck until asked, Iโ€™ll pass on tire recommendations. This isnโ€™t poker and you can reveal your cards.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No special considerations needed for load for a smallish trailer like that. Pick the ones you like in the price range you want.
D or E tires can handle more weight and thus can be made โ€œstifferโ€ which helps handling especially with a load. And they last longer in general than lighter duty tires doing the same job.
Please donโ€™t read the other thread about how E tires are bad for a half ton. Unless youโ€™re looking for good entertainment.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For whatever it is worth, we put BFG All Terrains on our Tacoma -- we do a lot of off pavement stuff -- and they have been great -- no flats despite some very sharp volcanic rocks.

They make a lot of noise on concrete roads, though. Not so bad on asphalt.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin Defender. They are load range E and I have never had so much as a slow leak. On my 4th set.
Bill & Lori Nardini finally on the road!
2008 Tundra SR5 doublecab
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
If you've got the `18's then this would be my recommendation.

I had these exact tires on my `13 F150 2WD and I had 72K miles on them before I traded the truck off. Road manners were good and could easily handle the increased weight.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Some F150's with the 4800 rawr/8200-7850 gvwr come with LT E tires....and some come with 18" or 20" or 17" P tires. So what are we looking for.
Makes a big difference.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F150

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Whatcha got for a truck?
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer length has little to do with truck tires. Weight does, as well as whether you drive off road, in snow, mud etc. More information from you is needed.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad