Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Switching from 12 volt to 6 volt batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Switching from 12 volt to 6 volt batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DP

* This post was edited 03/13/21 04:37pm by Huntindog *

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
540 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GravelRider wrote:

I installed the battery monitor today, so I'll be able to get a much better picture of how much battery I'm using and how much each item is drawing.

What model is that battery monitor?

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Probably with some creative modding it could be made to work... BUT it probably would be a waste of time. The reason for a CAT heater is to eliminate the draw from the fan. Installing a fan that would move enough air to make a difference would put you back where you started from.

My twindow fans draw a scant 27 watts and solved water line freeze ups. I used them to replace the return air grill for the furnace. I operate them using a mechanical thermostat kept near the water pump.

I won't use a non vented combustion heater, nor a generator when I plan to be sleeping.
Do you think those fans would do as good a job circulating heated air thru the underbelly as the furnace fan?

I agree on not using a non vented heater... Even when not planning to sleep. Sometimes those heaters can make one sleepy.
I do use the generator though. It is 75' away, usually behind a tree/fallen log etc.I do not try to conserve energy when cold weather camping. The generator never shuts off.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Do you think those fans would do as good a job circulating heated air thru the underbelly as the furnace fan?

I agree on not using a non vented heater... Even when not planning to sleep. Sometimes those heaters can make one sleepy.
I do use the generator though. It is 75' away, usually behind a tree/fallen log etc.

Hi Huntindog,

All I can tell you is they were effective in my class C at -37 C (-34 f).

I was having freeze ups while driving--the furnace was on, but the heat from the cab prevented it from cycling. They do not move nearly as much air as the furnace fan. I've not had a freeze up since 2010.

By unvented heating device, I have, on occasion, when street parking where I was in a convention all day long, run the burners on the stove top at low levels. It was in Calgary, and I had no access to shore power. I did leave the furnace active, but at the lowest possible setting. There was a tremendous blizzard. I would return "home", start the generator, turn up the furnace, turn on electric heaters and run the stove burners flat out. After 2 hours I'd make my supper. Then I'd drive to the nearest gas station, refill the generator, and refill the propane tank. As soon as I was finished fueling, I'd restart the generator. Then back on the streets for another night. I had a Kipor 3000 Ti inverter generator, with electric start. About 10 pm, I'd stop the generator, refuel it, turn on my smallest inverter, and use a heating pad in the bed.

I had an analog cell phone and a dial up isp with a toll free number. The laptop was connect to the cell phone by a device that provided a dial tone. My connection speed was 1/4 regular dial up--but it was good enough to do email--and even streaming audio from the BBC. Web sites were not nearly so data intensive in those days. The cell phone had unlimited minutes after 6 p.m.

75 feet would make it safe to run a generator. Unfortunately, after having one stolen, my generator is bolted in place, and protected by a steel cage. I know it would only slow someone down.

* This post was last edited 03/13/21 10:09pm by pianotuna *   View edit history

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crosscheck wrote:

One of the main reasons I chose a Danfos compressor style 12V fridge /freezer was because the they are a favourite of the ultimate boondockers which are yachters. They can't use propane fridges because propane is heavier than air and could sink to the lower decks if there was a leak and could cause an explosion.

Dave

I think the real reason they use them is like you said they cant use propane and that they have built un generators so the power worry isnt a factor. I know severy "Yachters" that if not for the saftey issue would gladly use propane appliances over the 12V stuff so they could run there genny less.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Off the grid for any sensible person would include as much solar as is possible. A one time cost versus a noisy, smelly, dangerous generator.

I rue the day I caved in and purchased a generator.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crosscheck wrote:

bpounds wrote:

crosscheck wrote:

One of the main reasons I chose a Danfos compressor style 12V fridge /freezer was because the they are a favourite of the ultimate boondockers which are yachters....snip

Using 12VDC is by far the least efficient way to generate heat, out of the 3 utilities common on RVs.

That's not to say it isn't appropriate in some situations. You mentioned one.

If you've got enough solar and battery bank to support it, more power to you. I've noticed there isn't much shade over sailboats.

I have seen a 12vdc fridge run our truck battery down during a single overnight stop at a motel. GM truck, which did not isolate the trailer from the starting battery. So it depleted the trailer battery and the truck battery. I wasn't the owner, but I was a participant, and it was my AAA card that got us back on the road that morning.

"Compressor Refrigerators
They use a process that compresses refrigerant to draw hot air out of the food compartment and vent it out the back or top of the fridge. They are highly efficient compared to absorption refrigerators." These are not my words but taken from a technical article regarding RV's. Compressor fridges do not use heat to make cold like absorption fridges do, that is why they are more efficient in energy use. If you are set up for high efficient compressor fridges, they work much better than absorption fridges. Just read all of the posts by big rigs who are turfing their Norcold units for compressor fridges.

One last thought, as most modern houses/apartments/businesses have natural gas and could have absorbtion appliances for cooling/freezing, why is compressor technology used in fridge/ freezers in 100% of domestic and industrial applications throughout the modern world?

Check out our blog when we had our previous rv an Outfitter TC for 5 years. You will see our camping style is "dry" with very few times using genny or shore power and our compressor fridge was never a problem regarding running down the batteries.

Dave

Regarding your "one last thought". Yes it is true that most if not all modern houses use compressor fridges and freezers. And they are hooked to the grid and barring and outage, they have limitless non stop electricity. Obviously in an RV we don't have limitless electricity....but 14 gallons of propane will run my Norcold for better than thirty days........that's almost limitless....with a real small amount of planning. 12v compressor fridges are better than ever, but for real boon docking some regeneration homework needs to be done to keep one of those in check.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Switching from 12 volt to 6 volt batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.