Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida to Wyoming travel concerns

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

We are leaving next Saturday for a 2-month trip. We are heading west form Florida to spend a week in Colorado and then the month of august in Wyoming. I am a little nervous about traveling to our destinations. I feel once we are there, we will be fine. We will be in a place that has less total case of the virus than our area is creating in a day.

My questions are for those of you who are currently or recently traveled. How were the travel days? Did you have any problems finding open and available RV parks? Did you plan stops differently? Did you make reservations for each night or just wing it? What was your experience checking in at campgrounds? Did you feel comfortable and safe at the campground? Did you have any problems getting Fuel?

Once we are in for the night, we donโ€™t plan on doing much. Maybe a walk around the park and relaxing. That is really no different than our normal travel days. We are in a motorhome and fully self-contained so no concerns about public bathrooms. That is one of the good things about RVing.

Our route takes us across Texas. There has been a big surge of cases there and I am wondering if this is the best way to go? I could go further north and take I-40 across missing most of Texas.

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say and have experience during your recent travels.

As always thank you and safe travels.
Phil
12 REPLIES 12

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
Some State rest areas in Louisiana and Texas have been named by the states as "safe rest areas" or some similar name and welcome overnighters and have free coffee after 8 or so in the A.M. Some have specific areas for RVs away from the truck areas and have armed overnight security patrolling all nite. We used several on a trip last Sept and felt very secure,even hooked our Honda 2000 up to run the AC. Check with the state DOT.

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to stay safe, or merely more safe:
1. Don't drive. It's dangerous. It's more dangerous than death by Corona.
2. Don't ride a bike. The chances of getting creamed by a car is the same as death by Corona.
3. Don't stand out in the sun. The chances of dying of a sunstroke is statistically the same as death by Corona.
4. Above all else, don't drive a convertible or ride a bike outdoors.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just saw a note that NM is imposing a 14 day quarantine, so scratch that off the list. Just look at the political party of the governor and you'll et an good indication of what to expect.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that have replied. We will go slow and easy. We have add a few days to travel time in case we have to alter our plans.

I will report back when we get to Wyoming.

Stay safe everyone.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that is unlikely in the Western (minus left coast) and SE states (maybe excluding LA). The feds are following the State that they are in, for guidelines. One thing prepare to be disjointed in CO fed parks, the visitor centers are essentially closed. They have a ranger hanging around outside to give advice but the buildings are closed. Camping by reservation only. NF CG are open tho. And so are BLM and COE where they exist.
Superbumper

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
My primary concern would be the same that kept us home in March. The uncertainly of government ( local to federal) reaction to the Covid threat .....both real and imagined! Our fear was to be quarantined or similar .....and not be able to return home! For us staying home was mostly a pleasure, but......we did miss the travel! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We left FL around 6/1 traveled thru AL-GA-TN-AR-OK-TX-NM and we are now in Grand Junction CO after several CO stops. WY this Tuesday (Flaming Gorge) then ID.

No problems other than finding restaurants closed and so on. We did stay in many COE parks, five or so.Boondocked 3 days near Gunnison CO. You won't have any problems unless you head to the insane states like the left coast and NE
Superbumper

summergames84
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve been on the road for a month in our Class A. Our route took us across I-40 from Flagstaff, AZ to Asheville, NC where we are now. All fuel stations are open and diesel prices are reasonable. We wear a mask when we go in any building. We had reservations for our trip. Some parks had empty spots, most were full or almost full. Check in varied from going into the office with social distancing to curbside check in. We havenโ€™t used any park facilities and havenโ€™t felt exposed to other campers.

Restaurants are at 50% capacity for the most part. Many smaller ones are closed. Masks are required until you get to your table. All servers have masks. All in all, weโ€™ve felt safe. Hand sanitizer is everywhere and weโ€™re very careful about what we touch. So far, so good. Use common sense and you should be fine.
2019 Winnebago Forza 36G
2018 Ford F-150 4x4

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the OP, if your travel plans include National Parks and their campgrounds, you may want to check with the park(s) to see if there is an up-to-date closure notice.

I bring this up because at Rocky Mountain National Park, the Glacier Basin CG has been closed for nearly the entire season. I received an email notice that it was going to be closed from July 1-31 as well as from August 1-September 14. That is the entire remainder of the season for that campground.

While there are other campgrounds in that park, I'm also aware of limitations at other National Parks in the west. So if your plan involves one, check the most current info for that park.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV parks nearly always have the highest density of people. I would emphasize USFS campgrounds and boondocking if I were you .

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of campgrounds are filling up if they have not allready. Some have restrictions of every other campsite open, some dont. So i would get reservations before heading out. Also, be aware some states have coviad restrictions on people from flordia. So you may be looked at as a pirra when you get to where your going. Especially if you have florida plates. I dont know if people are being turned away at the state boarders, flordia did that early on. So check before you go. Checking in depends on where you go. So rules are diffrent for everwhere and even in the same state, as decided by whomever is in charge. Be prepared for delays checking in and lines. Make sure you bring masks for your familly. While required , most didnt ware them, but some places were more strict. Especially at the confort stations. Be prepared that some you meet may want you to wharw them, others could care less. Carry one with you just in case.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't traveled at all so far but my thinking is that it won't be any different than years past with regard to finding RV parks. And where you will be should not make a difference with regard to the virus if you do smart safe things as recommended by the health experts.
But my more valuable suggestion is to keep a diary of each days events/experiences and let us know periodically how it went. It might help others decide what to do and may be an RV best seller in a year or two when we get back to the old normal.
You can search this Forum for `diary' for ideas.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)