Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Best tow vehicle for our rig
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Best tow vehicle for our rig

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
mgreene

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, I thought good gas mileage was a thing of the past when I purchased our first travel trailer some years ago! Now going to something that’s 2000lbs more,,,, I know better than to expect miracles!!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good truck, too expensive for what it is.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One ton diesel. Simple.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You must have been misled about diesel upkeep; it really isn't much more than gas trucks. You're thinking of getting a gas truck with 90,000 miles; that would be barely broken in for a diesel. I'm getting 21mpg highway (not towing) with my 16' 3500 and between 10 and 12 mpg towing a heavy 5th wheel. I also use my truck as a daily driver. Its a personal choice but your reasons against diesel aren't legit. If you really want a good towing truck then you might want to rethink diesel options.

mgreene

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I have been able to find, a comparable diesel rig would be close to 10k more. Not that I’m completely against buying a 20 year old truck, I just want as new as I can afford that will do the job needed. Most I’ve found in this price range have 200k plus and although I realize that’s not wore out for a Diesel engine, the rest of the truck has 200k miles. Looking at transmission, wheel bearings, rear end, etc. I know some people are die hard diesel and spending a few thousand for injectors and such may not be much of an issue. I’m just trying to find what’s best in the long run for our little family!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/20 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the trailer GVWR? What is the truck tow rating and payload capacity?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

mgreene

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trailer is about 7500lbs. From what I’ve found online, the 2500 I’m looking at is rated to pull somewhere between 9800-10200. I think I saw payload capacity on 1 site around 4500lbs

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgreene wrote:

Sorry for the confusion guys. The one I’m looking at is a 2500 truck. Asking around 24k with about 90k miles on it. It will not be a daily driver. Currently we only used our old camper a few times a year but are hoping to get a little more use with the new one. Just wanted to make sure this was enough truck. The 7500 is dry weight. Actually I think it was 7250lbs. Was hoping to stay around or below 25k with the truck purchase. Not set on Chevy/ GMC either. May consider a Ford if I found the right rig! Thanks for the help!

Many on these forums don't know that a 2013 6.0 gas GM, would have to be in a HD truck, so yes, a little confusing for some. Years ago they did put that engine in a fake 1500, that was really a 3/4 ton truck. The 6.0 GM is a great engine, the 6-speed will help make up for the 3.73 gears. The Ford SuperDuty with 6.2 6-speed came out in 2011, and is also a great engine. If treated right 90K miles on either of these engines is of no concern, either easily capable of 200K. The Ford 6-speed tranny is near bullet proof also.

Jerry

* This post was edited 07/05/20 07:03pm by MFL *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 02:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgreene wrote:

From what I have been able to find, a comparable diesel rig would be close to 10k more. Not that I’m completely against buying a 20 year old truck, I just want as new as I can afford that will do the job needed. Most I’ve found in this price range have 200k plus and although I realize that’s not wore out for a Diesel engine, the rest of the truck has 200k miles. Looking at transmission, wheel bearings, rear end, etc. I know some people are die hard diesel and spending a few thousand for injectors and such may not be much of an issue. I’m just trying to find what’s best in the long run for our little family!

You’re correct. And the truck you’re asking about will do a fine job.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 7250 dry, you'll likely scale at around 8500 packed and ready to camp. The 4500 payload figure you saw is for a reg cab long box 2WD, etc. Average cargo capacity on these trucks in crew cab 4WD form is usually about 3000 lbs.

That said, you should have no issues with this truck. The 6.0L is a proven durable engine and should be good for 200K and the 6L80E trans mission is also pretty sturdy. Pull a Carfax if you can and see if there is a service history.

Any 2500 truch should do a good job pulling the new TT, now just in terms of power but handling and stopping as well.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
Follow the Renovation here!

SOLD: 2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Best tow vehicle for our rig
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.