cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Warning: Flojet portable waste pump

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
After hooking up the electrical circuitry of our new pump, we tested it by turning on the switch for a few seconds. The pump ran for maybe a fraction of a second and died.

Thinking we had a poor connection somewhere, we tested all the circuitry. Still dead. Finally we tested the fuse. It was bad.

Then we noticed the โ€œImpeller Release Featureโ€ on the instruction sheet: โ€œAfter long periods of non-use, a stuck impeller can be easily broken loose with a screwdriver inserted in the motor-shaft slot.โ€

After we inserted a new fuse and turned the shaft with a screwdriver, the pump came to life.

The lesson: Before trying to run the pump, turn the shaft with a screwdriver.
10 REPLIES 10

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Here's ANOTHER WARNING to add to my initial warning: The way the pump fits into its carrying case, sooner or later the wires coming out of the pump will break off. I am going to cut away a little of the inside of the case where it contacts the wires so the wires don't bend every time the case is closed.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I have the portable Flojet, but have never used it. I have it just in case, but it has never been out of the case in 10 years.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
hedgehopper wrote:

Never did find that in ye olde manual,. figured it out but it took a few fuses.

PAGE 2 bottom right. Jeeeez

http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/flojet/18555-000_IOM_Manual.PDF

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
hedgehopper wrote:

Never did find that in ye olde manual,. figured it out but it took a few fuses.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure you have the switch OFF when you use the Screwdriver. That sudden torque when it releases can hurt your wrist or fingers. A Stuck impellor means something not approved for a macerator tried to go thru the Impellor. Doug

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I never had my Flojet jam after storage, but it doesn't like to be run dry - it'll slow down and blow the fuse.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
eHoefler wrote:
After use, i run oil through it to lubricate the impeller for storage

Never mind.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
After use, i run oil through it to lubricate the impeller for storage
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
WE just replaced our water pump with a Flojet works great so far. It is much quieter and does not pulsate. However I think the old, other brand pump, has been slowly failing and I did not realize it.
i just had the Flojet on hand with the idea that I'd use it to pump water into the tanks when boondocking.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad