cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do any of the new TTs come with Surge Protectors?

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new (2021) Rockwood Ultra Lite travel trailer. Do the new trailers have a built in surge protector? I have a message into the factory but have not heard back. I understand the problems moving up to 50 amp from my former 30 amp unit could necessitate getting one.

Without starting a riot, which one do you prefer on a 50 amp trailer?
15 REPLIES 15

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
So shutting off power is not management (in case of an errors) isn't management?

I'm a documented engineer not an RV appliance salesman. When electricity is incorrect and managed by shutoff this correction? No it would be management. Corrective measues like voltage, transient removal, and waveform distortion reform are all active actions. Load shedding is another management action. Auto paralleling another...

Referring to a camping equipment sales site legitimizes an opinion?

Active protection is continuous. do you prefer transformer multi tap or frequency regulated. MOS or TRansient Avalanche Diode spike filtration. Fully shielded transformer isolation? Each has its positive and negative attributes.

But shutting power off in case of error detection is management not surge protection as used as a a marketing term.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
EMS ELECTRICAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

Would be a better term for these gizmos.

An isolation transformer coupled after a ferroresonant voltage correction device is a true surge protection unit. From high frequency transients to continuous out of spec line voltage such a product protects against "surges" by any definition.

An LO to earth ground audio screamer would announce L1 Lo reversal.

And anyone connecting to a STANDARD generator without Hertz and Voltage monitoring before throwing the switch, is foolish.

You are pretty smart. BUT, in this case WRONG. EMS is MANAGEMENT not PROTECTION. Doug
MANAGEMENT
https://precisioncircuitsinc.com/category/energy-management-120v/

https://www.intellitec.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/53-00911-000.pdf

PROTECTION

https://www.campingworld.com/outside-rv/power-protection

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
EMS ELECTRICAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

Would be a better term for these gizmos.

An isolation transformer coupled after a ferroresonant voltage correction device is a true surge protection unit. From high frequency transients to continuous out of spec line voltage such a product protects against "surges" by any definition.

An LO to earth ground audio screamer would announce L1 Lo reversal.

And anyone connecting to a STANDARD generator without Hertz and Voltage monitoring before throwing the switch, is foolish.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
To , add i have one on my 30 amp TT. If you need it once its worth it, especially if you have a week long stay. I would hate to fry my ac or fridge and have to cut a vacation short for a few bucks. The biggist issue you will run into is low power. That can ruin an ac. So surge is for more power, a good ems does it all. You have 2 choices , plug and play( but people say some steal them, or a hardwired, recomended if you can swing it. I have a plug in play because i got it last minute and didnt have the time to do the wiring. No one stole mine yet( knocks on wood).

good explanation we had progressive 30amp on first TT and 50amp version on current TT. well worth the money.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
. . . But also be aware there are two types of devices called "Surge Protocters"
One is what I call a Spike supressor. I won't go into all of it but from time to time line surges can Spike the voltage eaily to a thousand or more. These "Clip" the spikes The spikes are very (like 1/60th or 1/120th of a second or less) long. But if you plug into say a 240 volt line with a 30 amp plug. No protection. or if the voltage drops to say 90 no protection

The Surge Guard I have .. well it will not pass power in either of those cases and some others as well.
Ditto. Folks tend to use the term "surge protector" loosely. A "true" surge protector, as you mentioned, only protects you from voltage spikes/surges a few milliseconds long (i.e., lightning strike)---that's all it does. It does nothing to protect you from constant low/high voltage situations or wiring problems. These typically cost less than $150.

Folks also use surge protector to describe the Progressive Industries series of EMS's (Electrical Management Systems). The EMS provides standard surge protection plus protection from constant low/high voltage situations and wiring problems. Big difference. These units typically cost $250-$400.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally Trailers do not
Some HIGH END motor homes MIGHT
But also be aware there are two types of devices called "Surge Protocters"
One is what I call a Spike supressor. I won't go into all of it but from time to time line surges can Spike the voltage eaily to a thousand or more. These "Clip" the spikes The spikes are very (like 1/60th or 1/120th of a second or less) long. But if you plug into say a 240 volt line with a 30 amp plug. No protection. or if the voltage drops to say 90 no protection

The Surge Guard I have .. well it will not pass power in either of those cases and some others as well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Never seen any TT come with a surge protector from the factory.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
To , add i have one on my 30 amp TT. If you need it once its worth it, especially if you have a week long stay. I would hate to fry my ac or fridge and have to cut a vacation short for a few bucks. The biggist issue you will run into is low power. That can ruin an ac. So surge is for more power, a good ems does it all. You have 2 choices , plug and play( but people say some steal them, or a hardwired, recomended if you can swing it. I have a plug in play because i got it last minute and didnt have the time to do the wiring. No one stole mine yet( knocks on wood).
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Progressive dynamics seems to be the popular choice.

Progressive Industries, not Progressive Dynamics.

Progressive Dynamics makes well-regarded converters. Progressive Industries makes the EMS/surge protectors. Both are good products, but they're two entirely different companies with confusingly similar names.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Progressive dynamics seems to be the popular choice.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
COST is the Reason they do not install Surge systems in NEW RV's. After 41 years as an RV Tech, I have found that the most common reason to buy and install a GOOD Surge protector is AFTER the Surge has caused appliances to burn out. The RV'er then has one installed on every subsequent RV they buy. Usually the Surge protector is a LOT less than the Insurance deductable for repairing the RV. Doug

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Spade Cooley wrote:
I understand the problems moving up to 50 amp from my former 30 amp unit could necessitate getting one.
I don't know why that would make a difference.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spade Cooley wrote:
Without starting a riot, which one do you prefer on a 50 amp trailer?

First choice: EMS-HW50C
Second choice: EMS-PT50X
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not aware of any of the general production brands of RVs that come with built-in EMSs or electrical management systems (they are so much more than surge protectors). In both of our fifth wheels, I have installed the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C hard-wired EMS with remote read-out and switch. The EMS saved us thousands of dollars in appliance damage on at least two occasions in our previous RV. We haven't been in the new RV long enough yet - nor stayed in enough places with the pandemic shut-down - to run into those types of situations. It's there when we need it, though.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015