cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blow-out ...

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, it finally happened. 2009 fifthwheel with original tires (D rated) replaced last year with E rated. Not here to complain about or bash the brand of tire. It was the drivers side rear and I know if a tire is going to pick up a nail or screw it will most likely be after a leading tire flips it up. No TPMS so I can't tell you if the tire deflated and then came apart or was a sudden event.

I did get some damage from the tire. It broke off about 6 inches of the rear grey tank drain. Wife couldn't wash dishes for the weekend. And a small patch of the moisture barrier got tore up outside the frame. Also lost some fender supports. Light-weight metal rods holding the fender skirts from swaying in the wind. Actually got off rather well.

My takeaways for others.
1. If your going to have a blow out it will happen at the worst possible location. Like I-695 around Baltimore the evening before a holiday. Be prepared with flares for your own safety.

2. Stay calm and think the situation through. Where I first pulled onto the shoulder it was just wide enough to get the trailer off the road and assess damage. There is no way I would have changed a tire there and lived to tell about it. Looking down the road I saw there was an exit ramp 1/2 mile ahead. I limped down the shoulder to where the off ramp widened out and I had more space. And I used the flares mentioned above.

3. Know how to get your spare lowered to the ground and have the tool to do it. Mine takes a 3/4 inch socket or wrench. And in my case the location prevents the use of a 4 way lug wrench unless you can open the largest slide on the unit.

4. Lug wrench. Do not assume your truck lug wrench will fit your trailer lugs. Yes, I had a 4 way lug wrench.

5. Check you spare tire regularly for proper inflation. I did and this became a non-event.

6. Never trust the guy behind the counter at one of the largest tire chains in Delaware. They had one tire in stock of the correct size and load rating. I dropped the old tire/rim off and told them I would be back for it. 5 hours later I stop in and it is not done. Counter guy goes back and does it himself. He rolls it out to me and says, "I didn't know how much air you wanted in it. I set it at 55 lbs." I know max on my E rated tires is 80. So I told him it should be at or near max inflation. I run 70 because I went up a load rating and don't need full pressure. He stated to me as a fact that "You can not air a tire up to maximum inflation rating because it will explode when when it warms up going down the road." I sent him back to put 70 lbs in it.

It took half an hour for me to change out the tire and get back on the road. 15 minutes of that was lowering the spare with an adjustable wrench. There is now a 3/4 inch socket and ratchet in the trailer.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500
14 REPLIES 14

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to get the torque wrench on those lug nuts asap if you have not already done so.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:

Don't forget a pair of jack stands {or at least one} unless you are willing to bet your life and limbs on your jack and the surface it sits on.

:C

Over the years I have changed a lot of tires, on many vehicles. Other using some jacks with some vehicles, I have never had to get under to change a tire. And doing a lot of other work, I have set many vehicles on stands. Could never do that without at least reaching under the vehicle. IMHO, for a tire change, a stand increases not reduces the danger.

They are also known as safety stands for the folks who don't know jack... :B

You assume everyone has a tandem axle trailer and I can assure you those of us with a single axle trailer need to use one for obvious reasons. A tandem axle trailer has the support of the non flat tire, true that but... You still need to jack the trailer up about 4 - 6" just to be able get the spare back on and if that jack fails you could end up with the nick name "lefty".

I can shove my jack/safety stand under the frame without crawling under, a piece of 2 X 6" works fine for that. If the ground gives or the jack fails the frame rests securely on the stand.
I'm not a fan of using leveling jacks to lift any trailer but that is just me... they are not engineered/designed to do it but will in a pinch... which is what you just might get if something goes south.

When you get free advice {most of what you find here on the Forum} you do indeed get what you paid for so take or leave it.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
A tire blowout on my trailer is something I don't worry about because I run truck tires and not those cheap ST tires. I can use my trailer's jacks to raise the tire off the ground or a 16 ton bottle jack I carry. I don't worry about a lug wrench as I use a battery operated hammer wrench that removes lug nuts with ease. The only tire issue I've ever had was a blowout on my truck due to a failed valve stem. Other than that, my trailer tires have been trouble free.

Thats good for you , but some dont have the option of getting truck tires. Or have jacks on there trailor that can lift it. I have a bottle jack , lol!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
A tire blowout on my trailer is something I don't worry about because I run truck tires and not those cheap ST tires. I can use my trailer's jacks to raise the tire off the ground or a 16 ton bottle jack I carry. I don't worry about a lug wrench as I use a battery operated hammer wrench that removes lug nuts with ease. The only tire issue I've ever had was a blowout on my truck due to a failed valve stem. Other than that, my trailer tires have been trouble free.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:

Don't forget a pair of jack stands {or at least one} unless you are willing to bet your life and limbs on your jack and the surface it sits on.

Over the years I have changed a lot of tires, on many vehicles. Other using some jacks with some vehicles, I have never had to get under to change a tire. And doing a lot of other work, I have set many vehicles on stands. Could never do that without at least reaching under the vehicle. IMHO, for a tire change, a stand increases not reduces the danger.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
Reminds me of close friend who is the epitome of preparation.

He has onboard air compressor, air tools, patch kits, you name it he has it.

I always feel more confident towing with this guy.

Im kinda that guy, if i bring it i never need it, if i dont i need it and cant get it, lol. 2 trips ago guy borrowed my compresser and tire plug kit for his car trailor. Saved his butt.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of close friend who is the epitome of preparation.

He has onboard air compressor, air tools, patch kits, you name it he has it.

I always feel more confident towing with this guy.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Desert Captain wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
Good advice. I always put full pressure in my tires btw, never had them explode or run hot on my TT. Only other thing to add is make sure if you need a jack , its the proper size, and leveles can be a lifesaver, not all flats are on level ground! Stay safe.

As for jack stands, in this situation there is really no need. If it would fall off the jack it would still be supported by the tire on the other axle. Just like it was before I jacked it up.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
BenK wrote:
Good write-up and ask if you do a lot of slow maneuvering on pavement ? and some noodling for thought over the never ending ST tire debates

How level is your setup ? Meaning does both or all axles share evenly...or nose down will have the front axle take more...and if nose high, the rear axle will take more

Have always thought that low speed maneuvering, on pavement contorts the tire carcass and the plys of both tread & sidewall, over time, begins to separate and/or are weakened where the cords lose rubber adhesion

Also wonder if single axle trailer have similar number or percentages of ST tire blow outs. As when they maneuver on pavement, the tires do NOT contort. They just pivot like the TV's steer tires would with power steering

Trailer is level. I've done the same thing with this trailer for 11 years with no problems. I would think adding stronger tires to it would make it less likely to happen.
Again I am going with the "punctured by something and lost air" theory. Since the tires were less than a year old it is not likely they were damaged before this trip.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
Good advice. I always put full pressure in my tires btw, never had them explode or run hot on my TT. Only other thing to add is make sure if you need a jack , its the proper size, and leveles can be a lifesaver, not all flats are on level ground! Stay safe.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

Also wonder if single axle trailer have similar number or percentages of ST tire blow outs. As when they maneuver on pavement, the tires do NOT contort. They just pivot like the TV's steer tires would with power steering

I will say the sigle axel trailors have the same amount of blowouts. Maybe worse as the tires are smaller so they heat up more. So when they go , they really blow up. And usally take out part of the camper with it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Good write-up and ask if you do a lot of slow maneuvering on pavement ? and some noodling for thought over the never ending ST tire debates

How level is your setup ? Meaning does both or all axles share evenly...or nose down will have the front axle take more...and if nose high, the rear axle will take more

Have always thought that low speed maneuvering, on pavement contorts the tire carcass and the plys of both tread & sidewall, over time, begins to separate and/or are weakened where the cords lose rubber adhesion

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was stuck in a similar spot on a narrow shoulder, but my blowout was the passenger front, so my arse was in the ditch---literally--- not on the traffic side! At least it wasn't raining!

Check the equalizers, shackles, and spring bushings on the trailer suspension too when you have time. The cheap plastic bushings that OEMs use wear out and in my case the passenger side equalizer was also rusted into place and couldn't articulate. Because the equalizer couldn't move and distribute the weight equally on the two passenger side tires, it was overloading the front and caused it to blow. I caught that same position tire with a bubble in it the second time before it had a chance to blow on the road, that's what made me start looking at the suspension./

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.