cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on this Truck

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
As we look at FW's - we are simultaneously looking for a truck. I have been focusing on 2015-2019 F350 6.7 l Diesel, under 100k miles and under $39k. While this truck is about 4 hours away, the price seems pretty good for this low mileage, one owner and no accidents. I'd love some input. I plan on heading that way this weekend to take a look. I have been having a hard time finding these closer to home and either the price is right but miles are high, or vice versa.

link
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
36 REPLIES 36

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Even with the costs of exporting and converting the odometer and speedometer to miles from kilometers, it is profitable.

Not sure about the Ford, but my 2015 Ram will switch between miles/kilometers with a simple setting in the setup menu. There's nothing to convert. I'm thinking that Ford will probably have this same ability?
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
When you put a link of a truck on here you might be inviting competition. I found that out the hard way but it wasn't a truck that I was trying to buy.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
If you’re looking to tow a fiver you do not want a truck that’s lifted 4”. The stock height of newer trucks is already too high for a lot of trailer.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And it's a scuzzy used car lot. If you want one way to be certain you will never have a clue what the real history is on the vehicle, buy it form a guy named Vinny with some neck chains at Tidewater Imports!
Those are all auction vehicles for one reason or another.
However, that black long box King Ranch looks pretty clean and legit, if you can get over the F250 thing. $80 gets you a set of OE F350 fender badges though!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ACZL wrote:
The '16 looks to have been modded if you look at the engine bay and the "Y" pipe on top (at least that's my take. Plus IMO, it looks as well that the interior has been used a fair amount judging by the creases in LR seat area.. The '15, IMO looks to be in great shape overall and int looks to be cleaner. One thing I noticed on both tho is the single tip exhaust instead of Ford's dual tip. Hmmmmm........

The silver '16 is deleted and a small lift.
The blue '15 is also deleted, small lift or level and cheap @zz janky tires. Also it was not kept clean, interior used to be dirty as ___, it was heavily detailed.

The rest of them look to have at least a leveling kit, although if you got the one with the brodozer wheels, you could sell em for about $2500...still lifted though.

So far, the best truck you've found is the one you won't consider. Unless that black one has a bad vehicle history, it's nicer than every one of the new ones you posted except the brodozer.

way2roll wrote:
One thing I noticed, the 2 trucks I like are 156" (6.75' bed). Is that a problem towing a FW or do I need to look for an 8' bed? I know they make slider hitches and a lot of the newer FW's have short bed friendly noses.

I have towed ALL of my fifth wheels with my prior 156:" WB trucks with zero issues.. Of course I had an automatic slider to assist..

this most recent truck of mine is a long bad... I will NOT go back to a short bed ! ! the difference in ride quality is night and day.. Not to mention the ability to load more cargo in the bed and not in the RV.. and standard 48 gallons of diesel.... and not using a slider and being able to hook or un hook at any angle..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I needed a long bed for the TC and they are waaay harder to find in a crew cab.

Forgot to mention if you've ever served, USAA has a great car buying service and good loan rates. I got my 2015 at 3.49%

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
One thing I noticed, the 2 trucks I like are 156" (6.75' bed). Is that a problem towing a FW or do I need to look for an 8' bed? I know they make slider hitches and a lot of the newer FW's have short bed friendly noses.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The gray one looks really clean! The blue is a very pretty color and you don't see many with that butter interior.

I bought a "package" from CarFax that was like $50 and gave me unlimited reports for a time period. I ran a CarFax on every single truck I looked at. Now CF is not the be-all and end-all, but it has useful info. My #1 criteria was service records...if you can confirm that the oil was changed and scheduled service was done than mileage becomes less important.

#2 criteria was looking for lift kits, big wheels, etc, that might indicate the diesel was also chipped at some point. Now, there's nothing wrong with a lift kit per se, what I'm looking for is adult-owned not adulterated.

Unfortunately Ford tokenizes their window stickers so it's hard to look back and see what options came on the truck when it was new. With Ram you can just type in the VIN and get the sticker on any vehicle, so you can see stuff like HD alternator, snow plow prep package, etc that may not be visible on a walk-around.

Looks like it's worth a trip to go look these over and driven them around.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
The '16 looks to have been modded if you look at the engine bay and the "Y" pipe on top (at least that's my take. Plus IMO, it looks as well that the interior has been used a fair amount judging by the creases in LR seat area.. The '15, IMO looks to be in great shape overall and int looks to be cleaner. One thing I noticed on both tho is the single tip exhaust instead of Ford's dual tip. Hmmmmm........
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

The "15" has less miles in a longer period... The "16" has a 4" lift that would concern me if they were Off Roading, or just a lifted grocery getter...

If I were looking, and I wanted a Ford F-350, and had those 2 to choose from, it would be a hard decision... I am not a fan of blue exterior, OR that color interior...

I like the silver exterior and black interior better, but those 100k miles is a bit high for a "16".. Not to mention the 4" lift..Im getting too old to drive any more lifted trucks

Your best option is to take a ride, kick the tires, drive them ALL, and decide at that point..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
So I stumbled upon a dealership within a day's drive that has quite a few of these trucks. 6 - F350's and 5- 250's. I am planning on going this weekend.

Specifically these are the one's I plan on checking out. The blue 2015 has a cleaner service record and lower miles but the silver is a 2016 but has slightly more miles.

2015 blue

2016 silver

All f350

Any thoughts on these?

I really appreciate everyone's help. The only truck I have ever owned is my 2007 f150 5.4 and while not trouble free, I've kept her going for 13 years and 250k miles. So I am really out of the loop on truck shopping and need all the help I can get.

Thanks all, you guys are the best.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Idk if they’re really red flags, but rather cautions.
Warranty doesn’t really matter because it’s out or close to out anyways. (No factory warranty on imported vehicles afaik).
It could be as good as it looks which makes it a good deal and you could haggle more out of the price maybe if it’s been sitting.
Unless a road trip is not in your schedule

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
ford truck guy wrote:
I am glad you decided to pass om that truck as its gone now...

I traded my "15" Lariat-350-6.7 set up to tow with 58k on the clock and they had it listed for $44k ( gave me $41K ) ..

They got the truck and were forced to close due to the pandemic 3 days later... once they reopened it was gone within 1 week.

Yeah, they don't stick around long. You really have to jump on them.