Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Thoughts on this Truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Thoughts on this Truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The majority of used vehicles in Canada end up going to the states, especially trucks. I constantly have dealers hounding me for my trade.

A commercial registration in Quebec is probably a rental or lease company. Could be good or bad but most aren’t treated well. That might be what the price reflects. The other 2 registrants would probably be an auction house and then the US dealer that bought it.

Also be careful with vehicles from Quebec. Their reporting rules are different and a lot of things don’t show on Carfax reports. I believe Canadian vehicles won’t have oem warranty coverage from US dealers either, at least that’s how it is here.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

way2roll wrote:

So the ad says one owner on car Gurus, but the Carfax says it has had 4 owners. The first 2 were commercial in Quebec and tallied up all the mileage. The 3rd owner was a consumer in Quebec - or some kind of auction dealer, and then a dealer here in VA - I assume traded at auction from Canada to Va. Is that something to be concerned about?

Read an article about this not long ago, because of the very favorable exchange rate, wholesale buyers in the US buy vehciles in Canada and export them to the US. Even with the costs of exporting and converting the odometer and speedometer to miles from kilometers, it is profitable.

That is not a vehicle I would buy. I prefer to purchase a factory certified (not some hokey dealer certification) with the extended factory warranty the certified vehicle provides.

There are two limitations I see,
First is the four previous owners, that is a lot for a 5 year old truck with 60k moles.
Second is the 11,300# GVWR a bit limiting for 5er.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

DownTheAvenue wrote:

way2roll wrote:

So the ad says one owner on car Gurus, but the Carfax says it has had 4 owners. The first 2 were commercial in Quebec and tallied up all the mileage. The 3rd owner was a consumer in Quebec - or some kind of auction dealer, and then a dealer here in VA - I assume traded at auction from Canada to Va. Is that something to be concerned about?

Read an article about this not long ago, because of the very favorable exchange rate, wholesale buyers in the US buy vehciles in Canada and export them to the US. Even with the costs of exporting and converting the odometer and speedometer to miles from kilometers, it is profitable.

That is not a vehicle I would buy. I prefer to purchase a factory certified (not some hokey dealer certification) with the extended factory warranty the certified vehicle provides.

First is the four previous owners, that is a lot for a 5 year old truck with 60k moles.

The mileage is almost solely from the first owner. Subsequent owners appear to be auction houses. I may be making a poor assumption that any F350 older than 2015 with a Fifth wheel hookup puts it at 18k. Am I incorrect? maybe I am looking at the wrong truck.

2020 F350 STX
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

DownTheAvenue wrote:

way2roll wrote:

The mileage is almost solely from the first owner. Subsequent owners appear to be auction houses. I may be making a poor assumption that any F350 older than 2015 with a Fifth wheel hookup puts it at 18k. Am I incorrect? maybe I am looking at the wrong truck.

18,000# is what it can pull, not what it can carry, GVWR at 11,300# and rear axle at
6,290# and 17” tires at 3,195# ea. are the limits. I didn’t see the payload sticker but likely about 3,200# if I put my 32’ 13,600# 5er with 2,800# pin on that I would have 400# left for passengers and stuff.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. It gets cold, snowy, and icy in Quebec, so this truck has probably seen its share of salted roads.

2. If it's been on Car Guru's for 45 days, as desirable as the truck itself should be, that's a long time for a relatively not-easy-to-find truck to sit in a dealer's inventory.

3. Car Guru's only calls it a 'fair' deal, so price-wise, apparently it's nothing to write home about.

4. If it's been to a few auctions, or on other dealer's lots, there's a reason it hasn't attracted a retail buyer yet.

5. If I were spending that much for any vehicle, I'd certainly try my best to buy a CPO (certified pre-owned) vehicle from a franchised dealer for that brand, accompanied by a Ford warranty of some type.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carry weight runs out first.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the last year for the steel body. I would be very concerned about a truck that was driven on the salt covered roads in the north. If you really want the truck, spend some quality time under it looking for rust, pay particular attention to the brakes. Personally I would be looking for a truck from no salt states. No, you cannot save a vehicle that was exposed to salt, it will continue to rust till it is spent.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 1999 I bought a new f350 drw that had come from Canada. I don't remember why I had to pull the instrument cluster exactly but something did not work and found a whole remanufactured cluster---it went down hill from there. Bent driveshaft, lights stayed on all the time, and on and on. After a prolonged battle the dealer took it back and gave me another that was flawless for 7 years. That was my experience but I never buy from a used car only dealer as they have no idea of the real history of the unit.

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming from the snowy salty North- Strike one
Bouncing thru several auctions- Strike two
Import from Canada, maybe no factory warranty-Ball one
Due to differing title laws may be hidden salvage or buy back- Ball two
First two owners were commercial (as said- possible rental)- Strike three.
These new vehicles are far to expensive & difficult to repair to gamble on.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truck sure looks nice. Best color too! Lol
It seems like a good deal provided it all checks out.
I don’t like salt belt vehicles either, but a few years ain’t a deal breaker as long as it’s not hammered with rock chips and rust especially since you’re not in the salt belt.
It does seem a bit strange that it’s apparently a fair price and not gone yet. Do your due diligence before buying.
Even if it’s only had oil and fuel filter changes, it’s low enough miles I wouldn’t be concerned about other maint too much.
Not a fan of 17” wheels if those are 17s but that’s easily and economically fixed.
Good luck , pretty truck.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Thoughts on this Truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.