cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class B title question????

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
looking at a class B Itasca RV 2007, owner has the az title in his name BUT it is a REBUILT TITLE... He states he bought the rv from a guy in cali a couple years ago and at that time it also had a CA. rebuilt title.. CA Owner stated that the rv was stolen when he owned it and the ins. paid him off for it and than the RV was found and ins company stated that since it was recovered that the RV had to be listed as a rebuilt title in order to reg. it again and sell it....
Can't get hold of a person in DMV to ask about this with this virus just get prompts...does anyone maybe know if this is true as far as why it has a rebuilt title and if that is how its done on a veh that has been recovered after being paid off by the insurance company??? he state no damage was done to the rv the TV's were not even taken.
Any help in this matter would be most appreciated... thanks...
10 REPLIES 10

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
Just so you're not chasing wild ferrets, in AZ there is no such thing as a "REBUILT TITLE". You have a Salvage title or a Restored salvage title. A Restored salvage title in AZ means the vehicle was restored to roadworthy use and can be registered and insured. It only applies to the chassis portion of an RV and not to any of the coach components as they are not part of state or federal vehicle safety/roadworthy requirements.

So, if the title says "Rebuilt", it's fake. "RESTORED" must be on the title to make it legitimate.

THANKS FOR THE INFO ITSYRV, I AM GOING TO HAVE HIM SEND ME A COPY OF THE TITLE. GOOD TO KNOW, TU...

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Just so you're not chasing wild ferrets, in AZ there is no such thing as a "REBUILT TITLE". You have a Salvage title or a Restored salvage title. A Restored salvage title in AZ means the vehicle was restored to roadworthy use and can be registered and insured. It only applies to the chassis portion of an RV and not to any of the coach components as they are not part of state or federal vehicle safety/roadworthy requirements.

So, if the title says "Rebuilt", it's fake. "RESTORED" must be on the title to make it legitimate.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you ALLLL for ur suggestions and advise... I still have been trying to contact DMV here in Az with still no live person to talk to... Will try tomorrow again and if nothing maybe take a ride there and see if they are open.. AGAIN THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP.... Any follow up and I will let you know. thanks

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
......and check with your insurance company to be sure they'll insure a vehicle with a rebuilt title.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 no two states have the same rules.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Only thing i can add, is to check where you live as to whats needed to register it there. Every state is diffrent.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If the AZ MVD title states "RESTORED", the vehicle was inspected by AZ DOT and is roadworthy to state and federal standards. What triggered the original Salvage tile and subsequent "RESTORED" could be just about anything. The key is the "RESTORED" label indicates it is roadworthy to all standards. If it states anything else without the word "RESTORED", it could be a hunking pig of a wreck with pretty makeup on it.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Below is a "general" rule for recovered or damaged Vehicles. It depends on the State how they redo a Title. 25 years ago in Texas, my Daughter "totaled" her Honda Accord. I then did what is listed below and purchased the Car back and then had the Body Damage fixed. At no time 25 years ago did Texas issue a new Title declaring Salvaged or Rebuilt. So, it depends on your State Laws. Doug

After the insurance company declares your car a total loss, theyโ€™ll come to you with an offer for a cash settlement. This will be the ACV of your car, plus the salvage value.

If you accept the cash settlement offer, you are basically agreeing to sell your car to the insurance company, who will then salvage it for parts for whatever value it still has.

But, you have another option โ€” you can keep the vehicle. In this case, the insurer will pay you the ACV of your car, and you get to keep it.

Regardless of which option you choose, you still have one problem remaining. Itโ€™s required for the insurance company to report that your car is now a total loss to your stateโ€™s motor vehicle department.

If you keep the car, your car will have a new โ€œsalvage title.โ€ This means that your car is currently only good for parts, and cannot be legally driven on the road. But donโ€™t worry โ€” there is a way to get it back to road-worthy status.

Can I clear a salvage title so I can drive my car again?
If you choose to keep your car and accept the cash payout for the carโ€™s ACV, you can use that money to fund the repairs on your car. Remember, though, you canโ€™t drive the car while it has a salvage title, so youโ€™ll need to tow it to and from the repair shop.

Once itโ€™s back in tip-top shape again, you can apply to have your salvage title cleared. Youโ€™ll need to tow the car to your stateโ€™s motor vehicle agency and pay a fee to have it inspected.

If it passes, your car will have a new title, and you can now legally drive your car again. However, a new title doesnโ€™t erase the carโ€™s history as a salvage vehicle. If you decide to sell this car in the future, new owners will know its backstory.

Is it a good idea to drive a vehicle thatโ€™s been declared a total loss?
Weโ€™ve outlined the process you can use to clear a totaled vehicle so that you can drive it again. However, itโ€™s important to know that owning a totaled-and-cleared vehicle still comes with consequences.

First, if your car gets into a car crash and declared a total loss, itโ€™s possible that there will still be damage remaining even if you get it fixed. There may be unseen structural damage with the frame, loose wires, or damaged airbags. This can still make it risky to drive, even after the repairs.

Second, when you get your car inspected to clear the title, itโ€™s generally only an inspection for stolen parts. The inspection doesnโ€™t do much to determine whether your ride is actually safe to drive or not. So even if the car passes the inspection, itโ€™s a good idea to get it looked at by an experienced mechanic.

Finally, because your car now has a branded title, itโ€™ll be a lot harder to sell in the future should you decide to do so. Potential buyers will be able to see its history as a vehicle that was previously a total loss, which can make it less likely theyโ€™ll want to buy it.

Still, if you are careful in fixing up your car, take the proper legal steps to get it road-worthy again, and donโ€™t care much about reselling your car in the future, fixing up your totaled car can be a great way to keep something thatโ€™s sentimental to you.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance recoveries often get salvage or rebuilt titles depending on the state. Also check with your state of different from where it is now titled as different states have different rules about those titles.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It does, can, and will happen like you were told.