cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

breaker keeps blowing

panteramatt
Explorer
Explorer
Went camping recently and my new to me camper kept blowing the main 30 amp breaker. I had my ac on high, hot water heater on electric, and 2 small refridgerators running. Is this too many amps for the camper? I moved to another box on another site and used an extension cord and it even melted them together. I would think 30 amps should handle those and if not why build the camper on a 30 amp circuit? I guess I could just run my heater on propane. Would having a dead battery cause this issue also?
21 REPLIES 21

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I was tripping my 30A main breaker one summer as well with similar loads as prior years. I ended up replacing that like afidel did which resolved the problem.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
pbohart wrote:
Hey. I know this topic has been thoroughly discussed, but your load does not sound too large for a 30amp breaker.

I was having a similar problem with my 30amp breaker popping under reasonable load. I replaced the breaker and it fixed my problem.

I am not an expert, but seems as if the switches get worn and over time will pop under lighter and lighter loads.

FYI.

It'll depend on voltage, over the weekend of the 4th I could only run my AC on my 30A, any other load brought the voltage below the cutoff on my EMS. Had to turn off converter and fridge and couldn't us the microwave during the day. At home with 126V I can run the fridge, converter, and AC on a 15A plug.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
pbohart: You are correct. The springs in the breakers running hot can loose their tension.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

pbohart
Explorer
Explorer
Hey. I know this topic has been thoroughly discussed, but your load does not sound too large for a 30amp breaker.

I was having a similar problem with my 30amp breaker popping under reasonable load. I replaced the breaker and it fixed my problem.

I am not an expert, but seems as if the switches get worn and over time will pop under lighter and lighter loads.

FYI.
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Diesel
2012 Jayco Eagle Super-Light 314BDS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BB_TX wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,........

24 amps continuous is what a 30 amp service can handle.

If you check manufacturer circuit breaker trip curves, you will see that circuit breakers are rated to run at full rated load indefinitely. Only after they exceed that current rating do they begin to trip. Slightly exceeding the printed rating they will trip after a few seconds or a few minutes. The more the printed current rating is exceeded, the faster they trip.

It is recommended that the expected design load on a circuit breaker to be less than the max rating. But that does not mean it will trip at less than the max rating.

breaker trip curves

In homes the electrical code is 80% of rated current. That's 12 amps for a 15 amp. But of course, since RV's are "plug in devices" they are exempt.

It is easy, in our power hungry RV's to exceed 30 amps.

Low voltage exacerbates the problem and is endemic in RV parks.

You can fix the problem with technology, or you can suffer in the mid summer heat by turning off the air conditioner, to protect if from damage. Probably best to not use the microwave--but those at least are no longer expensive.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

panteramatt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx guys I learned a lot. Seems like my system is working just fine I just overloaded it which i suspected in the first place. If I'm bumping my a.c. I will run my water heater on propane from now on.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,........

If you check manufacturer circuit breaker trip curves, you will see that circuit breakers are rated to run at full rated load indefinitely. Only after they exceed that current rating do they begin to trip. Slightly exceeding the printed rating they will trip after a few seconds or a few minutes. The more the printed current rating is exceeded, the faster they trip.

It is recommended that the expected design load on a circuit breaker to be less than the max rating. But that does not mean it will trip at less than the max rating.

breaker trip curves

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

As the various items are turned on, voltage may become lower and lower. The air conditioner may draw more and more watts as the day gets hotter. I've measured mine at 1900 watts. (Dometic 13500 btu)

1900/107 =~ 17.76 amps at my comfort zone of 107 volts.

24- 17.76 = 6.24 amps for all other continuous loads. (about 667 watts)

At campgrounds when every one is running their roof air, and other loads, there may be voltage drop. It behooves the owner to monitor voltage. As the voltage drops there is much more risk of melting plugs.

My comfort zone is no lower than 107. I keep in my comfort zone by added an autoformer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
panteramatt wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
What kind of camper do you have and what does it normally run at? Is it a 50 amp plugged into a 30 amp? My TT will run ac, fridge ( just one), ellectric water heater, and microwave etc just fine. Are the fridges built in or did you add them? You can always run a hevey duty extention cord for extras to your power pedistal. What type of cord did you use?

Its a 32ft COugar TT 30 amp. It has a built in refridge indoor and outdoor. The extension cord I used was very heavy duty.

The longer you go the heaver you need, here is a standard 30Amp RV extension.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CAMCO-PowerGrip-25-ft-10-3-3-Prong-Indoor-Outdoor-STW-Super-Heavy-Duty-Gene...
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Read about RV electric...the basics.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
panteramatt wrote:
The extension cord I used was very heavy duty.
S/B #10 wire minimum.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
AC = 13amps
Converter = 8amps
Water heater = 13 amps

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I would think eaither you had some other big draws, or something else is wrong. The camper if made that way , should be ok on the 30 amps. Mine is. So, it could be something wonky at the campsite you were at, or something not pluged in all the way. Make sure your conections are good. All of them, even going into the power center. And the plugs on the fridges. It could be a loose wire arching also. And as said above , volt meter and get yourself an ems , not cheap but will save the electronics. Now you have to see if it was the campground you were in or in your camper. Do the easy stuff first, so check conections check each thing individually. Rule stuff out 1 by 1. Pita, but only way to tell.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

panteramatt
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
What kind of camper do you have and what does it normally run at? Is it a 50 amp plugged into a 30 amp? My TT will run ac, fridge ( just one), ellectric water heater, and microwave etc just fine. Are the fridges built in or did you add them? You can always run a hevey duty extention cord for extras to your power pedistal. What type of cord did you use?

Its a 32ft COugar TT 30 amp. It has a built in refridge indoor and outdoor. The extension cord I used was very heavy duty.