cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Generator to Gas.

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone has converted their onboard propane generac to gasoline.
I figured I might use it more if it didn't use all my propane after running for like two hours.
Thought it's already in there and I wouldn't have to cary my honda then.

THANKS!
16 REPLIES 16

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Our Generac impact-36 rated fuel usage

FUEL CONSUMPTION (IN GALLONS PER HOUR):
LOAD - GASOLINE - LP
NO ------ 0.14 --------- 0.20
HALF --- 0.32 --------- 0.41
FULL --- 0.54 --------- 0.77

Mine, 2001 vintage, was available LP or gas, virtually same generator The only difference in part numbers is fuel system parts and few sheet metal bits. Shows identical engine controls charging electronics etc.
LP: carb, regulator, LP solenoid
Gas: carb, fuel pump, filter
If you had owners manual it lists the different part numbers for both. Though I'd do more research it appears it may be as simple as swapping fuel systems ~$150. Quick look around parts available, carb, F/P.
Conversion seems simple enough. However fuel source isn't included, which to me is real hurdle.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
worry about fuel use? install a diesel gen set. I have a pp and love it. its now 13yrs old and fires right up.

For years, as a joke on other forum I added "seeking diesel push mower" into my profile.
Took 5 years and fellow member found me 1, but at $7000 price tag, I passed.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
The reason why small RVs donโ€™t have gasoline engine generators is they donโ€™t typically have gasoline storage built in.

Removing 1 of 7.5 gallons propane cylinders make plenty of storage for gas can.... with triple running time.

well maybe 30% longer, but not 300% longer. But Propane is a whole lot safer.

conventional gasoline has an energy content of 116,090 Btus per gallon, while propane has an energy content of 84,250 Btus per gallon. As such, 1.38 gallons of propane has the same amount of energy as one gallon of conventional gasoline.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's easy. Remove the propane regulator, evaporator, and carburetor, then install a gasoline carburetor. The challenge is in finding the right gasoline carburetor for the engine especially if it's computer controlled. Maybe Onan makes one that you can get from an Onan dealer through their parts department.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
worry about fuel use? install a diesel gen set. I have a pp and love it. its now 13yrs old and fires right up.

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
Removing 1 of 7.5 gallons propane cylinders make plenty of storage for gas can.... with triple running time.

This is the main reason the thought entered my head. I end up carrying my Honda 2000's and a can of gas because the on board eats so much propane and getting tanks filled can be difficult sometimes.

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
Just when I was thinking of converting my Honda to run on Propane!
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I think it would be theoretically possible although you might be able to buy a gasoline generator for the cost of roll your own conversion.

If you have to carry gasoline, you might as well carry propane unless youโ€™d rather have a gasoline generator because of other reasons like how quiet they can be. The reason why small RVs donโ€™t have gasoline engine generators is they donโ€™t typically have gasoline storage built in.

I'd much rather carry an extra LP tank than a can of gas.

Where are you going to mount a gas tank if you do convert the generator to run on gas?
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to change it why don't you just remove it. A gas 2KW genset will weigh a lot less, will be easier and less expensive to work on. The genset will fit in the compartment where the LP unit fits. You might be able to store one or two gas cans in the same area. You will have to put a floor in the compartment but that's no big deal. I help folks in removing two LP units and we used an aluminum stop sign for the floor. It can from the county maintenance barn that had bee shot full of holes.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:

Sure, but fridges, water heaters, stoves, ovens, builtin generators, and furnaces donโ€™t run on gasoline.

That's why I said remove 1 aka ONE.
I also removed generator, what gives me storage for 2 more cans, while generator sits on front hitch.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Think a carburetor (with choke, etc) and a fuel pump is all you need. Well, along with a fuel tank for the gasoline.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:

Sure, but fridges, water heaters, stoves, ovens, builtin generators, and furnaces donโ€™t run on gasoline.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
The reason why small RVs donโ€™t have gasoline engine generators is they donโ€™t typically have gasoline storage built in.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it would be theoretically possible although you might be able to buy a gasoline generator for the cost of roll your own conversion.

If you have to carry gasoline, you might as well carry propane unless youโ€™d rather have a gasoline generator because of other reasons like how quiet they can be. The reason why small RVs donโ€™t have gasoline engine generators is they donโ€™t typically have gasoline storage built in.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member