cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-65 through Alabama

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to travel north (Fl to MI) in a couple of weeks and likely will take I-65 north through Alabama from Montgomery on up. Haven't driven that in a couple of years but when I did I seem to recall the road being extremely bumpy and beat up - at least between Birmingham and Montgomery. Anyone driven that lately and is it OK or is it rough?

Thanks gang.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
5 REPLIES 5

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Just did this. From Miami we take the AL route sometimes it has less elevation. Birmingham will knock your teeth out it is terrible. Otherwise fine.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Smooth sailing, except for the Birmingham concrete run.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Not bad north of Birmingham to Nashville. Birmingham is still a minefield.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious -- unless you're leaving from the far western part of the panhandle, wouldn't I-75 be a more direct route to Michigan?

As for I-65, much of it northbound Mobile to Montgomery has been recently resurfaced. As for B'ham north, I couldn't tell you.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We went that way last March and I don't remember I-65 between Montgomery and Birmingham being a bad road at all except the section going through Birmingham itself. That section is still rough as a cob and will jar you to the bone. Between the two cities the traffic is usually horrendous but, in March, I guess the Covid-19 had thinned it out a bit and it was the best trip we have made and we have made a lot along that road.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams