cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen WD hitch review

Rvinnewbury
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just wanted to give a little review of my first real tow with my new Andersen hitch. I towed almost 500 miles from SoCal to Southern Utah with it and was impressed with it. It towed about the same as the Propride hitch I used to have for the trailer. Set up and hook up were worlds easier then the ProPride. As for weight distribution, I was able to get my front axles within 0.5 inches of unloaded, which is Ford's spec. Also, the trailer is 35 feet long and 8000 lbs.
9 REPLIES 9

Rvinnewbury
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to give an update on towing with the Andersen, I just finished our first trip of the year towing 2200 miles up and down I5. Still very impressed with this hitch. At no time did I experience sway (hence "no-sway") On this trip with no to gusting strong winds from all directions depending on the day. It handle two major mountain passes beautifully. I am not going to say I didn't feel the trailer or the wind, it just was a pleasant drive, and 3 of the travel days were over 500 mils each.

Just I reminder I have a F350 cclb and 35ft 8000 lbs trailer. The hitch is good for this combo.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Canโ€™t argue with success! :B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Rvinnewbury
Explorer
Explorer
I probably don't really need WD. I have just dropped the trailer on a ball and it tows fine. Mostly I am looking at sway control which the Andersen does fine.

I will admit I wouldn't want to use this hitch with this trailer and my old TV. Hence the reason I used to have the ProPride.

It comes down to enough truck fir the trailer, no matter what anyone else says.

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
"This is from my owners manual." he said/showed.

Doesn't matter what the manual for a 2020 vehicle says then does it? ๐Ÿ™‚

Lynnmor wrote:
What Ford truck do you have? Here is the information from a 2020 F350 owners manual:

When hooking-up a trailer using a weight-distributing hitch, always use the following procedure:

1.Park the loaded vehicle, without the trailer, on a level surface.

2.Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender. This is H1.

3.Attach the loaded trailer to your vehicle without the weight-distributing bars connected.

4.Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender a second time. This is H2.

5.Install and adjust the tension in the weight-distributing bars so that the height of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender is approximately halfway between H1 and H2.

6.Check that the trailer is level or slightly nose down toward your vehicle. If not,adjust the ball height accordingly and repeat Steps 2-6.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
With a 1-ton diesel crew cab long bed pickup, do you even need WD with an 8k lb trailer? Our F250 settles 2 1/4โ€ in the rear and rises 3/8โ€ up front with our 1,071 lb tongue weight on the ball with no WD. I use WD for no other reason than to satisfy the ratings of the hitch receiver. Just enough tension to put upward torque on the shank. Just curious.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
What Ford truck do you have? Here is the information from a 2020 F350 owners manual:

When hooking-up a trailer using a weight-distributing hitch, always use the following procedure:

1.Park the loaded vehicle, without the trailer, on a level surface.

2.Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender. This is H1.

3.Attach the loaded trailer to your vehicle without the weight-distributing bars connected.

4.Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender a second time. This is H2.

5.Install and adjust the tension in the weight-distributing bars so that the height of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender is approximately halfway between H1 and H2.

6.Check that the trailer is level or slightly nose down toward your vehicle. If not,adjust the ball height accordingly and repeat Steps 2-6.

Rvinnewbury
Explorer
Explorer
Now another update. Drove it heavy winds today, and I still like this hitch. 25 to 35 mph winds from about 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock wind a majority almost a headwind. The semis on the road were moving around also. The hardest part was when the wind was coming out of my 9 o'clock and I was drive up a ridge the occasional blocked the wind. Not white knuckle but 2 hand driving.

I will put it this disclaimer I have more then enough truck, a 1 tin cclb diesel.

Rvinnewbury
Explorer
Explorer
This is from my owners manual.

Load equalizing hitch
When hooking up a trailer using a load equalizing hitch, always use the
following procedure:
1. Park the unloaded vehicle on a level surface. With the ignition on and
all doors closed, allow the vehicle to stand for several minutes so that it
can level.
2. Measure the height of a reference point on the front and rear bumpers
at the center of the vehicle.
3. Attach the trailer to the vehicle and adjust the hitch equalizers so that
the front bumper height is within 1/2โ€ (13 mm) of the reference point.
After proper adjustment, the rear bumper should be no higher than in
Step 2.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Rvinnewbury wrote:
he trailer. Set up and hook up were worlds easier then the ProPride. As for weight distribution, I was able to get my front axles within 0.5 inches of unloaded, which is Ford's spec.

Never saw that in a Ford manual, halfway does not mean 1/2 inch, mine says this:

Weight-distributing hitch

1. Park the vehicle (without the trailer) on a level surface.
2. Measure the height of the top of the front wheel opening on the fender, this is H1.
3. Attach the trailer to the vehicle without the weight distributing bars connected.
4. Measure the height of the top of the front wheel opening on the fender a second time, this is H2.
5. Install and adjust the tension in the weight distributing bars so that the height of the front fender is approximately halfway between H1 andH2.
6. Check that the trailer is level. If not level, adjust the ball height accordingly and repeat Steps 3โ€“6.