Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A very good reason Not to scrimp on surge protectors.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> A very good reason Not to scrimp on surge protectors.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 02:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This past w/e we went to a new to us CG that said they had a 50 A site. Mind you, was told this was a older CG as well. Once on site, hooked up power via PI 50A EMS, went inside, turned on fridge and rear A/C. few seconds later, poof, nothing. Waited a minute, tried again, same thing. WTH? Go out to EMS box and lo-n-behold it's saying low voltage on 1 leg. Again, WTH? Have CG come check the outlet and their little radar says the same thing (low 100 volts). Just below it is a elect meter (ton of seasonals so more so for them), removes the meter, checks wires, same thing. Goes to main panel down by office and reports back that has same reading as well. Calls his electric buddy who says to call utility company cuz the problem lies w/ them/transformer. So needless to say we were able to run the BR A/C at least, micro at times. Oh, fridge even tripped the power on that leg alone. So we had both the fridge and water heater on gas.

All I can say is, "WHEW" and Thank God we had the PI EMS other wise it could have been very ugly for us. It DID it's job!!

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it is a good thing to have for sure. Glad that nothing was damaged for you and it worked as it should have.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly why I never go camping without it, never forget to use it and have a gas/electric fridge.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the most essential element of our rv gear

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the most essential element of our rv gear

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not comfortable with voltages lower than 107. I use an autoformer to correct the endemic low voltage at campgrounds. I check voltage under load before I plug in the RV.

So far as I am aware low voltage potentially may damage motors (air conditioner, microwave) and some converters. Resistance devices are ok with low voltage--they just have lower output. The power changes by the square of the voltage.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Acdii

Capron

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Installed a hard wired one into my Coleman, 30 AMP. Measures voltage high and low as well as surge, and polarity.

The following year was in the trailer doing some cleaning, plugged a vac in to clean up the floor and Bang, power out. WTH? Check the breakers, none tripped, then about 3 1/2 minutes since bang, click, power back on. OK now I am scratching my head(I had forgotten I installed the guard unit). Start the vac again and bang. This time I heard it more clearly, coming from behind the power panel and the lightbulb came on in my head. So I go out and look at the extension cord. Sure enough the cord was corroded causing a line voltage drop. DOH! I went and bought 100' of 6/3 outdoor cord, two 30 amp plug/socket, a UL box with 30 amp outlet and 6/3 indoor cable and wired in a dedicated 30 amp supply to feed the trailer. No more issues after that and could run the entire trailer.

Going to do the same with my new trailer, though it is a 50 amp, and this time put a readout in so I can see the actual voltages.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using the Progressive Industries EMS 50..Our first trip this year we kept being shut down due to low voltage ..

I now use a Hughes Autoformer 50 Amp Voltage Booster with Surge Protection which will boost low volatage up 10%

I may give my Progressive industries EMS 50 to my daughter as she just got her first RV

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went with the Hughes watchdog hardwired on our new 5th wheel. I liked the bluetooth monitor and alerts it sends if there is an issue. I thought about their auto former but we can run a long time without shore power or use the hybrid inverter to boost voltage in load sharing mode.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like I am not quite up on these things. I have read quite a bit of these posts about electrical issues and such. As an owner of a 30AMP RV, do I need one of these? Should I be as concerned about surge and low power? I do have a couple different meters and could measure the outlet before plugging in. I also do not have any delicate electronics, just typical fridge, A/C, TV, lights. I haven't seen a problem yet, knock on wood...

Thanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> A very good reason Not to scrimp on surge protectors.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.