cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paid Caravans to Alaska Worth it?

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw this offer to rvers for 20 rvs to travel to Alaska, guides included, sites all paid for. Length of trip is around 30 days for $10,000 per rv with 2 people only. They worry about all the planning and tours. Anyone done this.? Is it worth it.
26 REPLIES 26

Jerart1982
Explorer II
Explorer II

We did this trip from sw pa to Alaska and back on our own after considering a caravan  and if I had to do it over again I would go on my own again we saw more places did more things and weโ€™re on our own time schedule   The Alaskan Highway can be challenging in the sense if you donโ€™t have any common sense you must watch the road  drive sensible remember thatโ€™s your home  and we did western Canada and the west coast  on our way home pulling a 40โ€™ 5er with a 3500 ram Dually and only had $12500 and we were gone for 155 days and 22845 mile  we met so many nice people on our trip at the camp grounds might see them at this one and than two later made friends with some that lived in Alaska and had dinner with them in anchorage  it was wonderful 

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
Even after living in the big city for a long time, I'd far rather be in Grande Prairie trying to plan a route to Dawson Creek than in Katy, TX trying to figure out the best way to pull a 39' fifth wheel through Ewe-stun to Louisiana.

What a hoot! One road, divided, 2 lanes each way, Grande Prairie to Dawson Creek. Narrows and gets a bit slow at Pouce Coupe.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
deleted by poster - me
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Even after living in the big city for a long time, I'd far rather be in Grande Prairie trying to plan a route to Dawson Creek than in Katy, TX trying to figure out the best way to pull a 39' fifth wheel through Ewe-stun to Louisiana.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from the boating community, we often would get two to ten boats together that were heading in the same direction. Many were new boaters that just wanted the security of having someone else along. We all got together before each leg of the trip and discussed our departure, route and stops. If anyone wanted to go their separate ways, we wished them a safe passage. We traveled together for the most part and often agreed to stops and side trips. Everyone paid their own expenses. We would make marina reservations as a group for each stop. These same things can be accomplished with an RV. Just start asking around and posting in RV forums. I would bet you could put a group together and keep your ten grand in the bank for a while. You would also probably find some experienced RVers or folks that have made the trip before to help lead the group. Good luck in whatever your choice is. Chuck

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
i must admit I have never been unable to understand why people take commercial caravans in Canada & the US, Mexico I can understand, different language and culture, different laws and no large RV parking lots next to attractions. I have notice some don't even travel as a group, they just tell them where to meet for the stop. The only real advantage I see is having RV parks reserved for you

Wouldnโ€™t it be better in a guided RV tour group? I would think first dibs on campgrounds, if rig breaks down immediate help is given because tour company knows who to contact. And if someone is hurt, again, contacts are more easily made because tour company knows who and how to contact. 

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Funny.
I am born and raised in a small mountain settlement in South Eastern B.C. and I hate big crowds and cities.
I wish there were โ€œCaravansโ€ to help us backwoods people negotiate some of those big city Freeways ... ( grin)
We have for years budgeted money for our โ€œextended camping tripsโ€ ( RVing) from about 1996 when my vacation allotment allowed longer trips. Our First extended trip was with an old 24ft 5er with a 3/4 ton 6lt truck. My Wife is a book keeper/ Computer programmer and she keeps records of all of our trips in a log book.
That First long trip we averaged $170per day CND , we got bigger and bigger rigs and the price of everything has โ€œmostlyโ€ gone up in price over the years and 3 years ago we retired and down sized from a 35ft 5er to a new truck and new camper, which is what the same type of rig we had way back when we first got married.
Today we budget $175.00 per day and we have been pretty close.
Donโ€™t forget the prices of things in Canada are more expensive than the USA, however your dollar right now is about 25% better than ours, so prices โ€œ kindaโ€ even out...Kindaโ€ I wonโ€™t go into that to much but you get the idea.
To each their own, however I donโ€™t see any need to have someone lead you on roads that are the farther north you go, sometimes the only roads you can take.
I suggest you buy the newest Milepost travel book which you can get on Amazon. Read it / review it first then see what you think.
Traveling up north ( Canada and up) in my opinion is much easier than in the big cities and super Hwys down below the 49th.
Have fun.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about caravans to alaska. I have been a wagon master for several caravans through Mexico. They are a social experience. If you are not sociable, you are probably wasting your money. The reason for using won in Mexico are a bit different since you are dealing with another language.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"Contrary to reports, mostly from people who have never been there, the North is a very civilised place. The roads are for the most part, good. Those flags marking frost heaves in certain areas are there for a reason. There are long stretches of no cell service. People survived without phones anywhere before. There is no need to have a northern trip planned out to the last day."

This in spades. There are long stretches with no cell service; in the summer however, those stretches are fairly well traveled. Simple matter of waving someone down to get assistance or at worst an offer to call for help down the road.

In the old days of the late '70's, the Canada side (gravel) was typically much easier / better to travel on than the allegedly paved Alaska side. Of course, that portion of the road is now what you see (in Canada) if you look for the "Old Alaska Highway" signs.

In multiple trips on the Alcan, my most common problem was broken headlights, closely followed by flat tires. By and large, I'd guess that one would have to have their own spares of those and a caravan wouldn't help. Even some of the other problems I recall (warped rotor, failed axle seal, etc), a caravan wouldn't help except possibly to transport a person to the next town to arrange help.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Acdii wrote:
I can see a caravan for traveling through Alaska, some roads get pretty rough, and having buddies along in case of a breakdown is a plus, but $10,000? That seems pretty steep.

Buddies?
I mean, yeah I'll help someone if they breakdown, but having a pack of people who are afraid of the dark and me being the only guy with air tools, I'm not spending my $10k to fix people's RVs fr a month!
Yea I can hear the uproar now when you tell the repair can be done in 45 minutes for $200 or the whole caravan can wait for 6 hours for mobile service.

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot imagine doing this. When I am camping I like the idea that I can go where I like, when I like and meet folks I like. Why be tied to someone else's plan ?

If you are worried about breakdowns then rent an RV it will cost about half of your figure and will include 24/7 breakdown cover.

Trevor

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Acdii wrote:
I can see a caravan for traveling through Alaska, some roads get pretty rough, and having buddies along in case of a breakdown is a plus, but $10,000? That seems pretty steep.

Buddies?
I mean, yeah I'll help someone if they breakdown, but having a pack of people who are afraid of the dark and me being the only guy with air tools, I'm not spending my $10k to fix people's RVs fr a month!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

morley
Explorer
Explorer
In 2010 we went to Alaska with our fifth wheel and truck shown in my signature. We left July 1st and returned home August 10th. We travelled over 11,000 kms and it cost us $6200.00 in total for everything, fuel, eats, treats , camp grounds, cool ones, attractions, etc.
The only reservations for Campgrounds we made were for Denali, although the Kenai Peninsula truly is busy during fishing season. We went to all parts of Alaska while there.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote