cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving tow bar connected to MH

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you leave the tow bar on the motor home after you return from an outing? What are the possible cons?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
17 REPLIES 17

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
One possible con not mentioned is if you forget to put the locking pin in after you fold it can fall and drag on the road if no tow car is attached. This happened to me once when I went to get gas for the MH, thankfully a passing car told me that sparks were coming off the tow bar. I now use a bungee cord to keep the two legs from extending when no car is hooked up as well as the locking pin. Another minor problem is if left on for several years the lock going through the pin can rust and penetrating oil is need to open the lock.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine was put on the current coach 7 years ago... hasn't come off since.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Blue Ox and I always leave on. I place a cover on when I return home and detach the tow. Blue Ox has the rubber grommets and plastic spacers which enable movement of the tow bar these certainly would be affected by the heat and sun but once covered I think they're ok.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Other than occasionally removing the tow bar for cleaning/lubing, it stays in place year round since we travel year round. I do install a weather cover when we're parked for awhile.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Blue Ox tow. bar, keep it on MH, covered with accessory vinyl cover. Remove it from MH once a year for cleaning, inspecting, and new grease on bars. Always clean and lube receiver before reinstall.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Installed with a locking pin, sprayed with silicone lubricant according to manufacturer's instructions, and kept covered when not in use. Goes on when MH comes out of storage, comes off when MH goes to storage. No problems at all.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
The cons are:
Weather exposure if the RV is stored outside
Legs.. If it not bolted on and locked (As in with a key) it the can grow legs .

It would be in a protective covering, and it would be locked. The motor home is backed in between our house and a block wall so the motor home (let alone the tow bar) is not noticeable.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The cons are:
Weather exposure if the RV is stored outside
Legs.. If it not bolted on and locked (As in with a key) it the can grow legs .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
We traveled quite a bit with the bar attached and folded up. It caused no problems and was not in the way.
When I finally removed it, I needed some penetrating oil and a big hammer.
Exact same thing happened on my first class A. I now use a receiver bike rack on my class B and I lube it well because I leave it on for 10 weeks in the winter but then pull it off when home.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My joints and bar are sprayed with silicon lube as recommended which is less dirt attracting. Attached for 16 years with a lock which keeps honest folks honest. In recent years I've been leaving the car cross bar attached as well.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C wrote:
I spray it with anti-corrosion oil and cover it.

When you spray with anti-corrosion oil, do you spray the entire tow bar or just pivot points and bar that goes into the receiver on the motor home?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
I installed my tow bar 12 years ago and the only time it's been removed was when I switched coaches 7 years ago.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
I spray it with anti-corrosion oil and cover it.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I am a full timer and left mine on for the past 16 years.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer