cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DEF how old is too old?

VinnyP
Explorer
Explorer
I have an opened jug of DEF dated July 2019. Can't tell if that is a manufactured date or an expiration date. Any ideas? Or should I just breakdown, dump it and buy a fresh jug?
Vinny & Rita
The Bronx, NY
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2009 Holiday Rambler Savoy LX
2015 Rockwood 2109S Mini-Lite
16 REPLIES 16

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Learjet wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If stored in a cool place itโ€™s most likely fine. Personally I would not use it. I on
only buy what I need.

Wow! took several responses before someone mentioned the most important thing....what was the temperature it was stored....that is the most important factor.

Johnny, tell us what I won???!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If stored in a cool place itโ€™s most likely fine. Personally I would not use it. I on
only buy what I need.

Wow! took several responses before someone mentioned the most important thing....what was the temperature it was stored....that is the most important factor.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
DEF's shelf life varies by temperature:

<50 deg, ~36 mo.
50-77 deg, ~18 mo.
78-86 deg, ~12 mo.
87-95 ~6 mo.
96-104 ~2 mo.

If you live in southern AZ probably should refill with limited amounts of DEF unless you drive a lot.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I would question the age of the DEF that is already in the truck, perhaps the DEF in the jug is better.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Dump it. Def has a shelf life. If it's stored in a cool place out of sun it's good for 12 months. If it's stored in direct sunlight then 3 months.
The key is in how it's stored.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having just bought my first diesel, I'm new to this DEF stuff and you got me wondering. Here's how to read the date code on Peak Blue DEF

Note that the year noted is the Expiration year, the year of manufacture is actually one year prior. So if your DEF is showing 2019, it was actually made in 2018 and is DEFinitely too old to use. ๐Ÿ™‚

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
From google:

"Storing DEF in a cool, dry, well-ventilated place is recommended to maximize shelf life. It will degrade over time, but if stored at temps between 10 degrees and 90 degrees, DEF has an expected shelf life of one year. You can extend the shelf life to two years by storing at a temperature that stays around 75 degrees."
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If stored in a cool place itโ€™s most likely fine. Personally I would not use it. I only buy what I need.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

VinnyP
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like Iโ€™ll dump it and get a fresh jug. Thanks everyone!
Vinny & Rita
The Bronx, NY
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2009 Holiday Rambler Savoy LX
2015 Rockwood 2109S Mini-Lite

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I would dump it. It would work good as fertilizer but would want to water it down as it's 33% urea which could burn whatever you dump it on.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've read, DEF gets "iffy" after 18-24 months. Is that date of July 2019 from a Blue DEF code? If so, it was actually made in July of 2018.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
NRALIFR wrote:
Itโ€™s probably OK, but you can get on Amazon and buy an inexpensive refractometer that will tell you if it still has the correct 32.5% urea. Some refractometers can also check multiple fluids, like antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, DEF, and battery acid.

:):)

And for only the cost of 2 NEW jugs of DEF or probably 6+ gallons at the pump you could buy a device to "check" it....
How is this even a question or a thread?

(BTW NRA, you're correct, but you just got over the OP's head, mechanically speaking. He's best off parting with an Alex Hamilton and a couple of G Dubs for some fresh DEF...)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
VinnyP wrote:
Any ideas? Or should I just breakdown, dump it and buy a fresh jug?

Pheww, quite the quandry here. You have an expensive truck that presumably is worth alot of money becasue it's fairly new, diesel, and likely doesn't get driven much.
Now you have a partial jug that you didn't manage to use in the last year or so and how long will that DEF sit in your truck?

Bottom line don't be a cheap ___ and save yourself potential/likely future headaches at the expense of spending 10 whole dollars on your truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s probably OK, but you can get on Amazon and buy an inexpensive refractometer that will tell you if it still has the correct 32.5% urea. Some refractometers can also check multiple fluids, like antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, DEF, and battery acid.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!