cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

REDUCED ENGINE POWER

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Winn Voyage 38J on a Workhorse W24 chassis, gas 8.1L engine, 78k miles. 3 times in past 5 years I start, I get a REDUCED ENGINE POWER warning and engine feels like running on 2 cylinders. I turn off, start again, all is fine except check engine light is on. The check engine light goes off the next time I start it. The 3rd occurrence was just recently. I bought a code reader, it shows engine codes:
  • P1516 - throttle position sensor
  • P2108 - throttle body control motor
Has any one else had this REDUCED ENGINE POWER warning? I have researched forums. There were many fixes, fuel filter, fuseable link, ground strap, Ox sensor, mass air flow sensor and crankshaft position sensor. Surprisingly none said replaced anything associated with the throttle.

If others say this is just an anomaly I will continue as-is. Otherwise I may consider replacing components just for peace of mind. I don't want to get stuck somewhere and not have reacted to the warning signs!!

Thanks in advance for your feedback...
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
4 REPLIES 4

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Workhorse specs change every 50,000 miles.
The fuel filter was changed at the 50k mile service, transmission was serviced too. Thanks for the idea though....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
We had an 05 Fleetwood Flair on a W24. It would do that occasionally. Seemed it sometimes happened when doing something with cruise control. Would have to pull off the road, shut it off and restart. Like your experience, the check engine light would come on and go off the next start. Saw several different codes over the years. Don't remember now what they were. Never got better or worse. Never could pinpoint a source of the problem. This gets mentioned here and on other sites from time to time. I don't recall anyone ever having found a real cure for it. I think it's a software error that Workhorse wasn't in a position to resolve with their precarious financial situation back then. Was very relieved when we traded for a Winnebago on an F53 and didn't have to worry about it anymore. My opinion is that Ford's ECM software is much more robust.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Workhorse specs change every 50,000 miles.
2010 Suncruiser

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Does your engine have a throttle or fuel position sensor. If yes measure resista.ce at the terminals. Diesel engines with spurious check engine warnings should have fuel rail pressure, tested after which test for poor conductivity at harness junctions