Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

AWD and traction control probably would have worked well in that situation.

Traditional 4x4, even with a limited slip or locking rear diff, is at best a THREE wheel drive system, and that one front wheel that's spinning doesn't bring anything to the party except some slung mud. If you've got open diffs front and rear then you're down to a TWO wheel drive system, and the wheels that get power are always the ones with the LEAST traction.

AWD doesn't let you get to that point. If you're stuck, you're truly stuck because all four wheels have no traction. You're not stuck because the two wheels that might be able to get a little bite are just sitting there while the other two spin.

AWD will cover 99.99999% of cases, except maybe rock crawling or mud bogging. If you're doing those with a brand new production vehicle, I'd call your sanity into question.

I have seen a AWD stuck spinning each wheel, then taking power from the spinning wheel, until finally. It took power from all the wheels. and it just sat there doing nothing.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've driven both ...

AWD is great for family vehicle, and running around town, occasionally rain, mud, or dirt roads.

True 4x4 will save your personal rear-end when you need it.

I traded my mini-4x4 Chevy for a AWD Van in 1999 - a Safari - thought, great don't have to sweat it, just drive and never get stuck. Most times it was great, snow, mud, whatever ...

I drove the White Rim Trail in that AWD - got stuck once, took a couple hours to free myself... shovel, boards, etc. Got stuck again, same hassle. I envisioned myself with a $5000 towing bill at one point, but got out. Turned around, drove out of WRT, finished my trip, and the next week drove home, bought a 4x4 again and have never been without one since.

If you need a run-around vehicle, in town or on reasonable roads, AWD is better than one wheel or FWD. If you ever go where you need 4x4 and don't have it, you're cooked.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

gattorgetter

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i think you are mistaken on what you see... some trim levels have 4-h/l 2-h and auto... not just a north thing... just watched one go down the line headed to TX that way

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it applies the brakes to any wheel to transfer the torque then it is weak and is for moderate conditions at best. JMHO

I have TrueTrac limited slip front and rear along with the locked low range as needed. Works great for what I need.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

If it applies the brakes to any wheel to transfer the torque then it is weak and is for moderate conditions at best. JMHO

I have TrueTrac limited slip front and rear along with the locked low range as needed. Works great for what I need.

The brake thing works fine. Not a locker but it works.

People have been doing it for years manually.

I have had a tire hanging in the air and the brake based torque biasing system worked perfect.

Can someone point me to these supposed AWD transfer cases in HD GM trucks?

All the ones I see are true 2 speed cases. They may have an Auto Mode with computer controlled clutches, but they also have dedicated 2WD, 4WD, and 4WD low ranges.

I know some of the Denali SUV's may have AWD single speed cases, but these are still true, robust transfer cases, that will do the job just fine for 90% of people. They are nothing like what people envision when thinking of the "AWD" mini SUV's.

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truck I'm considering is a Chevy 2500 HD with the 11,350 GVWR and upgraded RAWR and other towing capabilities. It's "in transit" from Michigan to Buffalo. What that means exactly, I don't know and neither does the new truck sales manager. He has requested updates every 5 days from GM. It's been "in transit" over a week now. In all fairness, it's probably on a truck carrier going who knows where and could even be in Canada somewhere. (shortest route from Flint, MI to Buffalo, NY is through Canada). On the Chevy website it says it's 4WD, on the dealers website it says AWD and on the window sticker from the dealers website it says 4WD. The sales manager says its a 4WD model as well. Who knows at this point. It might get here and I'll find out it's a 4 cylinder Chevy Sonic.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

gattorgetter

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I build these trucks.... it is either 2 h 4l/4h. Or those 3 plus the auto.... depending on trim pkg

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new truck has 4 choices: Auto/AWD, 2WD,4Hi,4 Low

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gattorgetter wrote:

I build these trucks.... it is either 2 h 4l/4h. Or those 3 plus the auto.... depending on trim pkg

Maybe you built the one I'm considering. It's got the LT trim package

gattorgetter

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What trim package? I can find one at the plant tomorrow and look

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.