Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2020 GM HD trucks have available automatic 4WD (high range) mode. This is still a 2-speed transfer case with 2WD, Auto/4WDHi locked, and 4WD Low locked. I have something similar in my Suburban and many many of the half tons have had it for 20 years.

I use 4WD auto when the roads are partially snow covered for improved stability with the ability to turn on pavement without damage and binding.

* This post was edited 07/14/20 12:02pm by APT *

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

THe 2020 GM HD trucks have availible automatic 4WD (high range) mode. This is still a 2-speed transfer case with 2WD, Auto/4WDHi locked, and 4WD Low locked. I have something similar in my Suburban and many many of the half tons have had it for 20 years.

I use 4WD auto when the roads are partially snow covered for improved stability with the ability to turn on pavement without damage and binding.

Thanks APT.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

The 2020 GM HD trucks have available automatic 4WD (high range) mode. This is still a 2-speed transfer case with 2WD, Auto/4WDHi locked, and 4WD Low locked. I have something similar in my Suburban and many many of the half tons have had it for 20 years.

I also have found the auto setting perfect for regular over the road driving in snow. The ability of 4x4 when slipping and no 4x4 push when making those sharper 90 degree turns.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve seen those 4WD trucks with an AWD setting. They have clutches inside which have no business inside an HD T-case!

Skip the AWD T-case and get a standard 2hi, 4hi, N 4lo.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I’ve seen those 4WD trucks with an AWD setting. They have clutches inside which have no business inside an HD T-case!

Skip the AWD T-case and get a standard 2hi, 4hi, N 4lo.

Because we know a high percentage of HD truck owners are rock crawling in their spare time. Or is more likely just trying to get off the wet grass. Pays to be realistic how the majority actually use the vehicles.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way I see it....I hopefully will be able to find a truck at the right price that fits my needs. If it has the normal 4WD, that's fine, If it has the Auto option that's fine too now that I understand it. There aren't many trucks out there right now. At least not in the Northeast. I'll buy one if the deal is right. I haven't found a dealer that has more than 3-4 HD trucks on their lots. It's a very unique and difficult time to buy a truck. I will say this....I kind of like doing the negotiation dance from the comfort of my house. The process is a little slower because you don't get that one on one relationship but I don't have to walk out the door, I don't have to "talk things over with my wife", I can have several negotiations going at the same time, pit one dealer against the other in real time with real invoices etc. 100% no pressure on my end. Just think how much fuel I already saved LOL

gattorgetter

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 03:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are running 6 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Once parts get a little more stable, I'm sure we will be at 7 days a week.

ExxWhy

not here

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.sarchionechevrolet.com/search/new-chevrolet-silverado-2500hd-randolph-oh/?cy=44265&md=71&tp=new

About 160 miles from you, they have 17 in stock. Did you try searching on autotrader or cars . com ?

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

Where are you guys getting the auto 4 wd from? In mine, 2020 2500 lt gasser there is 4 low, 4 hi and 2 wd. No auto. Unless the 4 hi does both? My old 2012 1500 had 2wd, 4 hi, 4 low and auto. I haven't sceen the auto in the 2020 2500s.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExxWhy wrote:

https://www.sarchionechevrolet.com/search/new-chevrolet-silverado-2500hd-randolph-oh/?cy=44265&md=71&tp=new

About 160 miles from you, they have 17 in stock. Did you try searching on autotrader or cars . com ?

I found one about 200 miles from me. It's an LT model. The dealer I've been working with has completed a dealer trade and should have the truck in their possession first part of next week. I'm hoping it's in my possession before next weekend. We will see!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.