cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many miles a day can we go?

randster
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, new to the RV world and we are first time renters. We plan on driving from Florida to New Hampshire in a 32 foot class C (Entegra Esteem). How many miles a day could we reasonably drive, given we know driving around 60-65mph is reasonable? Do you think 500 miles per day is too much? I know we would miss out on the true adventure side by just driving all day but we have a small window of time where we can go.

Thank you for any advice; this forum has such wonderful information!
52 REPLIES 52

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our 27 foot class C rides like a truck with stiff rear springs. Many worn interstates have miles of cupped concrete sections or other roughness that can wear you down and rattle your nerves. Driving on hot summer days or in windy and/or rainy weather, plus road repairs can also wear you down. You can do 500 miles the first day, somewhat less each day until you decide that some relaxation and enjoyment is essential. RV'ing is supposed to be fun, not exhausting bordering on dangerous. Don't let following traffic push you into taking curves too fast, etc.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first time that I traveled with my older brother on a fishing trip he mentioned getting lunch. His idea was to sit down at Denny's and mine was eat and drive. well, we went to Denny's and I realized what a nice break it was to get from behind the wheel and relax a little.
Traveling with children and new to driving a vehicle ,you need to consider all that.Also they need to be buckled in, not roaming around. As you may experience sometimes when going through turns drawers open, stuff flies around. Anything left on the table as you drive will be on the floor.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
In closing in on 70 years old, going beyond 800 miles in a day is getting more difficult! However, more than the mileage......I think it’s the hours at the wheel and the stress imposed with traffic density.

High mileage days in rural America is much more easily accomplished than driving among the “unwashed masses”! 😉

While “not” in our class c, we recently covered a little over 5K miles in 8 travel days (not by choice but necessity) “dragging around” a 20K pound, 40 ft., 5th wheel! It took a few days to fully recover from that little trip! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
500 miles is easy but figure 50mph average.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I posted before but here is more, I think. Went to West Palm Beach for New Years, 700 mi one way and drove both directions non stop except for a couple of bathroom stops. End of Feb did the same thing to Tampa non stop except for bathroom stops. I am 80 now and might have to take a "rest" stop now and then in the future. Some of our trips in the past year have been maybe 150-200mi between campgrounds. Do what feels good to you.

PatnRich
Explorer
Explorer
When I first retired we drove from Massachusetts to the RGV. It was 2500 miles and we did it in 5 days, never again. Towing our 5’er to Florida it’s 1500 miles and we take 4 days to do it. I’m most comfortable with 300-350 miles per day. Typically we average 50 miles per hour at days end.
2010 Montana 3400RL, 2011 Ford F350,CC,SB,16K Pullrite SuperGlide

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Considering the poster posted in the Class C section, I would assume the question is in regards to hours / miles while operating that specific veh ! Rule of thumb would be 50 miles per hour, with all the reasons already mentioned ! 500 miles is doable, I prefer about 350 .......and then a nice drink !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
With kids plan on 350 t0 400 so they can play at rest stops and campground also taking time to stop and eat in your MH. That would be 8-9 hours. You will make good time from FL with 70 mile per hour but slower going around the cities further north. We do 500 but wouldn't with kids
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
What I don't really see here is "hours" per day, only "miles" per day. THAT is what you need to figure out.

Some years back, while we were still young, we drove straight through from SoCal to Eugene, Oregon in a 23' class C. Switched out drivers each fuel stop (one slept while the other drove), prepared/ate meals while on the move, only stops were for fuel; nothing else. 1,000 miles, 17.5 hours. It averaged out to about 57 miles per hour. 60-65mph over the long haul is just not reasonable in an RV; just fuel stops alone will drop that number significantly. If you are going to stop to eat, or even to just stretch your legs occasionally, then figure on 50.

So while 500 miles is just over 7.5 hours at 65mph, at a much more realistic 50-55mph average it is 9-10 hours. Are YOU comfortable being behind the wheel for 10 hours? If you are, then more power to you; I'm not.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

BUB1988
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see the time line for the round trip?
If time permits there are quite a few cool spots to stop over. Personally we aren't in a hurry in more and we try to do 300 a day or less. We have a 39' Class 'A' with a KIA Soul pushing us. It's not always about the destination,but the journey. Have the kids do a daily journal and they will always have the memories. We have done that for 10 years and they still look back on the journals.

chorbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Easy-peasy. We do 500 milers every summer going from the West Coast to the East Coast and back. To string a few to get from NH (love the motto) to FL shouldn't be any problem.

I like to get on the road early, by about 5am. Hit the gas station, grab a cup of coffee and bang out a couple hundred miles before stopping for breakfast (this is a lot nicer out west where it's not so congested). A couple hundred more and then lunch. Then it's only a couple hours more and done for the day.
'11 Four Winds 23'
'97 Ford F-350 CC 7.3 and 10' Alaskan NCO - Unknown vintage.
'05 Komfort 27' Bunkhouse (gone)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
This a large question. When we were 19 and traveling long distances we would shoot for 700 miles a day. I did that for years even driving alone. Now 500 miles seems like a lot. The old cars and highways were much slower.

The amount of miles you can drive and the amount you should drive are not the same. You have to carefully judge how tired (and cranky) your crew or family get under the conditions you subject them to. You can have a big day if the next day is a rest day. Multiple driving days in a row can wear everyone out.

You have to experiment to find out what is right for you and your companions. Now I am retired and older so I like 300 miles or less and to be stopped by 1500.

For some, traveling long days and taking pictures of the entrance signs of NPs is enough. It does not work for me at all.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I did Tucson to Tampa towing our toy hauler in 4x500 mile days. Depending on your stamina, it's very doable.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We'll do 800 miles in a day. Its not ideal, but with limited days away from work its a choice. Tougher with kids now. How long/far is really a personal thing. Even related to your rig as mentioned. Only YOU can decide what YOUR comfortable with.

Of course this year the wheels are not doing much turning. Fingers crossed for next season.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch